November 2016 Moms

Cloth diapers services

Anyone used one before?

I've  just started researching the cloth diapers thing. The thought of all that extra laundry is really intimidating. So I'm looking into cloth diapers services and they seem really reasonable. Has anyone else used one? What did you like/dislike about it?

Re: Cloth diapers services

• Haven't used a diaper service, but for what it's worth, cloth diapers were really only 2-3 extra loads per week for us (we washed roughly every 3 days, which is sort of the upper limit.) It was really manageable.
    K.

Son, K, 9 | Daughter, C, 5 | Daughter, M, expected November 7, 2016
  • I agree with @KilgraveMadeMeDoIt. We didn't use one but I didn't find the extra laundry much more work. I use pockets and hated stuffing the diapers more than anything else. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • shevaCCshevaCC member
    Babies themselves generate several more loads of laundry a week since you don't want spit-up clothes/blankets/burp cloths to sit for very long. So really the 2-3 loads generated on top of that never felt like a big deal to me either.
  • KRMcDKRMcD member
    I looked into it, but it was just too expensive.
  • edited May 2016
    I researched it pretty thoroughly with kid 1. We live in the city in a bldg with shared laundry so it was either service and cloth or disposable. In our area the total cost of cloth with the service came out to around the same monthly as buying disposable. I choose my own comfort level over the environment and we went disposable. 
  • I also CDed and just washed at home.  I didn't really look into services.  Like others have said, it wasn't bad at all.  I honestly don't mind doing laundry and to me, it was just like another load. Plus, no folding after!
  • I've put two in cloth and hate laundry but never used a service. Like others have said, it's one or two loads a week so it's really not bad. I even had two in cloth together and the laundry was very manageable. I would recommend all in one style diapers if you're trying to save time. For me, stuffing pockets was the annoying part so we switched to all in ones for my second and it was much easier. 
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
     TTC since 07/2010 BFP #1 11/10/11 Natural MC at 6w4d BFP #2 01/23/12 MC at 12w. 2x Cytotek 1x Methergen; Genetic testing found Factor V Leiden and MTHFR. Started extra Folic Acid and Baby Aspirin then Lovenox BFP #3 07/02/12 EDD 3/13/13 . Rainbow Baby born at 37 weeks, all natural, after 10 weeks of bedrest. BFP #4 ST. PATTY'S DAY 2014. EDD 11/25/14 
  • Depends on where you live. We are not doing cloth diapers, but have friends in Silicon Valley area who rave about theirs - apparently they are conveniently located (many drop off locations) and pretty cheap monthly cost. No experience here but I'd check out online reviews. 
  • sweetlyuntiedsweetlyuntied member
    edited May 2016
    I am a disposable diaper user, but my good friend does cloth. She opted against a service but did invest in one of those toilet diaper sprayers which she thinks is essential. Could be worth looking into.

ETA: like this one https://www.amazon.com/bumGenius-890077002003-Diaper-Sprayer/dp/B000ZKHVMU

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm planning on going with a service here in my town. : ) The price looks about equivalent to disposables, but better for the environment (this service uses specifically green cleaning methods).
  • aestabr said:
    I'm planning on going with a service here in my town. : ) The price looks about equivalent to disposables, but better for the environment (this service uses specifically green cleaning methods).
    Yeah - we are in the bay area and the cost here looks like it is roughly equivalent to disposables. I think something like $25 for 80 diapers weekly. Plus they deliver and pick up from your home. Maybe the laundry won't be so bad, but we'll already be adding a ton of work and stress to our lives given the whole new infant thing. It seems like a good idea to minimize the extra work where we can, at least until we have figured things out a bit. 

It is good to hear that most people don't find the extra laundry from cloth diapering to be a big barrier though. It makes me think that if we do go with a service, we can probably cancel after 6 months or so once we get the hang of things. 
  • Looked at it, and it was too expensive! (FTM) I've heard the breastfeeding poop is no big deal to wash...is it a possible middle ground to just start a diaper service (one that lets you use your own diapers, not the usual exchange) once the little one is on solids?
  • FirePoppy said:
    Looked at it, and it was too expensive! (FTM) I've heard the breastfeeding poop is no big deal to wash...is it a possible middle ground to just start a diaper service (one that lets you use your own diapers, not the usual exchange) once the little one is on solids?
    I just started using disposable liners when mine started solids. Helps a bunch and is still cost effective. 
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
     TTC since 07/2010 BFP #1 11/10/11 Natural MC at 6w4d BFP #2 01/23/12 MC at 12w. 2x Cytotek 1x Methergen; Genetic testing found Factor V Leiden and MTHFR. Started extra Folic Acid and Baby Aspirin then Lovenox BFP #3 07/02/12 EDD 3/13/13 . Rainbow Baby born at 37 weeks, all natural, after 10 weeks of bedrest. BFP #4 ST. PATTY'S DAY 2014. EDD 11/25/14 
  • We were gifted 6 weeks of services with our second.  Honestly it did make things a lot easier, they came by every week, picked up the dirty diapers, left a stack of new ones.  If its in your budget and you want to cloth diaper its a nice splurge.  The only downside for us, was they only did prefolds, so it was kind of a pain when going out places and needing to change a diaper.