January 2017 Moms
Options

Prenatal Vitamins

Just out of curiosity:

Which prenatal vitamin are you taking?
Do you like it?
Are you taking any additional supplements?

I haven't had my first appointment so I'm not sure if I have everything covered. I'm currently taking SuperNutrition Simply One and then a separate DHA by Nordic Naturals. So far I haven't had any issues.
31 years young
from Seattle(ish)
5 years married
FTM and PGAL
EDD is 12/23/17
-- It's a BOY! ---

Re: Prenatal Vitamins

• Options
    Honestly I just got the Wegman's store brand prenatal vitamins, it had all the recommended amounts of everything. I've also been eating wild-caught salmon a few times a week for the omega 3. Although I feel like that won't last much longer if the nausea kicks in this week or next. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Jan '17 August siggy challenge: Cat fails

• Options
    I just take Equate brand prenatals with additional DHA and EPA (I think it's called EPA). They have the recommended amount of everything I need. I also try to get snitch protein in a possible, though honestly, my protein intake has probably been down lately. This carnivore can't seem to stomach meat too well anymore. :(
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I take CVS brand gummy vitamins.  Love them! Not taking anything in addition to that. 
  • Options
    mjolkmjolk member
    I take CVS brand pills because they were so cheap and buy one get one half off. I take them at night to avoid stomach issues. I have a fairly strong prejudice for multi vitamins but in this case they seem universally recommended... so I feel like I have to take them. I'm not in some anti-pill boat, I just wonder especially long term what getting over your DV in a pill can do to your body everyday.
    -----
    TW: Loss
    EDD: 1/14/2017 : Blighted Ovum : D&C @ 10w6d

• Options
    Kroger store brand - they are the only multi-vitamin I've ever taken that doesn't make me throw up. 
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Options
    canavaracanavara member
    edited May 2016
    I've been taking a prenatal I got off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Prenatal-Vitamins-Amazon-Supreme-Potential/dp/B01837O0IO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I would not recommend them however, because I just noticed there is some really messed up stuff with the labeling (it actually says, in broken English, that it's not recommended for pregnant women :|). Going to switch brands ASAP based on that, so it was nice to see this thread pop up.

ETA: I'm also supplementing with enteric-coated omega-3 capsules and then Nature Made brand Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc/D3. I was already taking these before pregnancy for joint support because Crossfit, doctor said they were fine to keep taking.
  • Options
    I recently switched prenatal vitamins based on a recommendation from my doctor--I had been taking Kroger brand gummies with folic acid. My doctor wanted me to be taking something with "folate" --NOT "folic acid." Folic acid is actually the synthetic form of folate, which is found naturally in foods (most websites say folic acid and folate are the same thing, but they're really not). So, she wanted me to start taking a whole food multivitamin prenatal supplement. This is what she recommended and what I take now: https://www.amazon.com/New-Chapter-Fermented-Probiotics-Ingredients/dp/B00WJW9DXM/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1464698578&sr=1-1&keywords=new+chapter+perfect+prenatal 

I also supplement with another folate supplement called "Folapro" which she recommended for me.  In addition, I will be taking a Prenatal DHA (fish oil) supplement, because the whole food prenatal vitamin does not contain DHA. My doctor did tell me to stop taking the DHA at 35 weeks. 
    Computer Hope
    TTC January 2016
    BFP May 17, 2016
    DS born January 31st, 2017: Rory "Mac" MacKinnon

• Options

I take Spring Valley Prenatal. It meets all the daily requirements, I've actually been taking these for almost a year. I've always heard it's best to take if there's any chance of pregnancy or decision to have kids soon in order for your body to have enough absorbed for the first few weeks of pregnancy. Plus my mom has always told me it's good for your health regardless. Now I'm glad I listened!

Along with these, I have a shake I drink for breakfast Monday-Friday that has fish oil, chia seeds, flax seeds, plain yogurt, fresh fruit, etc. So it has quite a bit of my nutrients/vitamin for the day. I've been drinking these for almost as long as I've been taking the prenatal.

<3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    zdmd_14zdmd_14 member
    edited June 2016
    I'm taking a liquid prenatal because I tend to gag on pills when I'm not pregnant--trying to keep them down while pregnant is pointless. 

The plus with most liquid vitamins is that they are generally food based with limited synthetic ingredients, which supposedly means they absorb better. 

the one I'm taking is called Liquid Health Liquid Prenatal. 
    Ive had a few days where I've been to nauseous to feel like I could take it so I've been meaning to pick up some gummies as back ups.  I also have a liquid DHA supplement but it is GROSS. I've been eating salmon and telling myself that I'll take it when the morning sickness is gone. 

DD1 (2008) DD2 (2010), #3 (DH's first bio kid) on the way in January 2017!
    Almost always mobile bumping--forgive my typos. :)
  • Options
    zdmd_14zdmd_14 member
    edited May 2016
    @HJ.Morgan --can you taste the fish oil in your smoothie? I've thought about doing this with mine but I hate the fish oil so so much!  What kind of fish oil are you
    using?

eta--it won't let me tag you!
  • Options
    I take these. They're double the price in store but so much cheaper on Amazon. Easy to swallow and no weird small thank god! My nails are looking great too :)

https://www.amazon.com/Nature-Made-Prenatal-Multi-Softgels/dp/B005G4YCHW?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm just taking the Walmart brand, I took Materna brand with my daughter but these are the same and cheaper
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I take the Honest Company prenatals and DHA.  They're pricey, but I like that the vitamins and minerals in them are derived from whole foods as opposed to synthetic versions.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Prenate Mini. They are pretty small and easy to swallow. This is the Rx brand my doc called in for me. Before that I was taking Target's gummies brand. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I switched from the One A Day to Garden Of Life Raw earlier this year and I am so glad that I did. When we first started TTC I didn't know that vitamins can be poorly made.

Garden Of Life vitamins are non GMO and based on whole food products. They are vegetarian rice based capsules. Most vitamins are made with a soy based capsule and soy is a terribly common GMO crop that I don't like. Instead of one prenatal a day it is three, which if your don't like or can't remember to take pills isn't ideal for you. I just sort them all out in a sandwich bag a day and that helps insure I don't forget. 

So I take the Garden Of Life Raw Prenatal, GOL Oceans Mom (DHA and EPA), D3 (because I am vitamin D deficient), and a K2-MK7 (to combat the negatives of the D3). 

I go back in in like a week to have my bloodwork redone to see if we fixed my vitamin D deficiency. I feel so much better, so I imagine we did.
  • Options
    @BriannaE129129 I use those too, but I bought them from Costco! I haven't had any issues with keeping them down, but I did take one late at night once without food, and woke up at 3am dry heaving like CRAZY. To anyone else considering them, learn from my mistake and always take them with food :wink: 
    Me & DH: 27
    Met: 12.9.2007
    Married: 9.26.2014
    BFP: 5.1.2016
    Baby Boy Due: 1.13.2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @asnowsurferI heard that about taking them with food so I haven't taken them without... I don't want to find out what happens! haha
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I am currently taking the leftovers that I had from my last pregnancy. They are a prenatal multivitamin with DHA and Folic Acid. They do not make me gag which is why I love them. My doctor sent me paperwork to fill out before my appointment next week and it said they she would be prescribing me a prenatal to take. I am curious to see what she prescribes. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Pumpkin Spice Gone to Far| Jan '17 September Siggy Challenge

• Options
    zdmd_14 said:
    @HJ.Morgan --can you taste the fish oil in your smoothie? I've thought about doing this with mine but I hate the fish oil so so much!  What kind of fish oil are you
    using?

@zdmd_14 Nope! I don't taste it. I get the lemon flavored fish oil from Sprouts. It's a bit pricey, but I get the big bottle and 1 tsp is PLENTY so it lasts awhile. It actually makes my smoothie taste very yummy, I like a nice lemon tang. :)

p.s. I've noticed no one is able to tag me right! I only see replies if I check back on the same thread. ):

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kellybean1988 I read a bunch of studies about folic acid as well and found a few prenatal with folate. Materna which seems to be the most recommended here in Canada has folate so I grabbed them on sale at Costco 

The only thing I have noticed and my be tmi but the vitamins make my stool green. It freaked me out at first but is apparently common 

• Options
    @sarahmsoda   Oh, that's interesting! My new prenatals make my pee neon yellow. SO WEIRD
    Computer Hope
    TTC January 2016
    BFP May 17, 2016
    DS born January 31st, 2017: Rory "Mac" MacKinnon

• Options
    zdmd_14zdmd_14 member
    HJ.Morgan said:
    zdmd_14 said:
    using?

@zdmd_14 Nope! I don't taste it. I get the lemon flavored fish oil from Sprouts. It's a bit pricey, but I get the big bottle and 1 tsp is PLENTY so it lasts awhile. It actually makes my smoothie taste very yummy, I like a nice lemon tang. :)

p.s. I've noticed no one is able to tag me right! I only see replies if I check back on the same thread. ):

Hmm...I have the strawberry flavored from Nordic naturals.  I'll have to try it. 
    Although at the point, I haven't even been doing smoothies because they just don't sound appealing.  (I was doing them 4x week during TTC/before MS hit)
  • Options
    Salilast326Salilast326 member
    edited May 2016
    I take the same Super Nutrition Simply One as @moonlady . I took them during my first pregnancy and I love them.  They don't smell funky, don't hurt my stomach. Plus it has all kinds of extra good stuff in it. I'm taking probiotics too..Mother's Select brand that I got on Amazon. Vitafusion Omega 3 gummies I take all the time anyway. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

I also take the Honest Company prenatal one a day and DHA. I have one copy of mutated MTHFR gene so it is possible that I do not process folic acid (synthetic version) which can cause issues with pregnancy so I was told to make sure to take the methylated version of folate which Honest Company has- and I like that it is only one pill to take for the prenatal. The DHA is 2 and I only occasionally have fishy burps.

https://www.honest.com/health-and-wellness/prenatal-complete-once-daily

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I usually just take the store brand prenatals but I have to have them with food or I am sick.  I recently purchased some gummie ones because my appetite is not the best but they are so bad.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    zdmd_14 said:
    Hmm...I have the strawberry flavored from Nordic naturals.  I'll have to try it. 
    Although at the point, I haven't even been doing smoothies because they just don't sound appealing.  (I was doing them 4x week during TTC/before MS hit)
    @zdmd_14 I had a hard time getting it down today. This last week I think my M/S is trying to kick in, so nothing sweet sounds good at all. So this morning I had to eat an egg sandwich first then down the shake afterward. I'm hoping I can keep it up, otherwise I may have to condense it into a morning "shot."

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Tally06Tally06 member
    I recently switched prenatal vitamins based on a recommendation from my doctor--I had been taking Kroger brand gummies with folic acid. My doctor wanted me to be taking something with "folate" --NOT "folic acid." Folic acid is actually the synthetic form of folate, which is found naturally in foods (most websites say folic acid and folate are the same thing, but they're really not).
    I agree with this. I am taking a brand called RAW prenatal that can be found on amazon or at whole foods.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I just switched to these: https://terranovahealth.com/prenatal-multivitamin-complex/ and I am in love. Has an adequate but not insane amount of iron, folate instead of folic acid, and appears to be whole-food based :)
  • Options
    Vitafusion PreNatal gummies. I love them, I switched per the recommendation of my OB during my first pregnancy when the horse pills I was taking made me sick. I haven't stopped taking them since. They taste like raspberry lemonade and I often catch DH taking them instead of his multivitamin because he claims they taste better. 
  • Options
    Nothing right now because they make me so sick but I've been taking vitafusion gummies for almost 3 years now. 
  • Options
    I bought these after I finished my gummies bc I have a hard time swallowing pills.

And to be honest these are smaller/flatter but still too big. I end up cutting them in half and that sometimes bc a whole episode.

I love the liquid prenatal vitamin someone mentioned. I'm definitely going to look out for that!

• Options
    sweetyjenjsweetyjenj member
    edited June 2016
    I take the Rainbow Light Prenatal vitamins. I did a lot of online research and they were on multiple top 10 lists as #1-4, so I figured they're a good option, plus they are food based with probiotics and enzymes for better digestion and they are non-constipating...a bonus. I get them on Amazon. They're more expensive than some brands, but less expensive than many as well. For mine and my baby's health it's worth it. Also, I get sick really easily with many multivitamins, even when I eat meals with it, and these DO NOT make me sick :) I also take fish oil pills for DHA and calcium/d supplements (although these have been making me sick so I've been drinking more almond milk for the calcium). Once a day I have a smoothie with whey protein isolate, chia seeds, coconut oil, lots of spinach, banana, strawberries, and blueberries..so this helps, too.  With/before most of my lunches and dinners I eat a good salad, too, because it helps with the nutrition. I don't have MS yet, so this is all working for me so far, but today I got a little queasy towards the end of my salad :/ thankfully I ate it after main dinner, so I was pretty much done eating anyway.

ETA: Vitamins here: https://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Light-Prenatal-Multivitamin-150-Count/dp/B00115BJ30/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1464838229&sr=8-1&keywords=prenatal+vitamin

Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    I take everything separate, and they are Standard Process (I get them at my chiropractor).  I take iron, folic acid, calcium, wheat germ oil, choline, and omega 3 fish oil.
    I take them with breakfast, but I take the iron with lunch.
  • Options
    I take Vitafusion gummies. They're delicious and don't upset my stomach. I was taking iron separately to supplement them, because they don't include iron. But my OB said I didn't need to take iron right now, because my blood tests came back outstanding. I've just been taking it now twice a week. 
  • Options
    I am taking the Rainbow Light prenatal and the Rainbow Light prenatal DHA. I get them on Amazon and they are priced very well for a high quality vitamin. Plus, with Amazon you can do a subscribe and save so it shows up on your door step about the time you are going to run out. I have taken a variety of prenatals over the last few years but wanted something without fillers and other junk in them. These are food based and good quality.

Pregnancy Ticker