September 2015 Moms

Has your baby got sick yet?

xcessxtacixcessxtaci member
edited May 2016 in September 2015 Moms
If so, what help them relax? If not, what precautions do you feel help?

Has your baby got sick yet? 90 votes

Yes
68% 62 votes
No
31% 28 votes

Re: Has your baby got sick yet?

• Knock on wood my LO hasn't got sick yet. This winter when he was a newborn, I was careful not to have him around a lot of people. I sterilize his pacifiers often and since I work around a lot of people, I wash my hands constantly. Honestly I think a big factor is breastfeeding as well.
  • My baby has had a few colds (I have a 3yo and a home daycare, so I expected it). I breastfeed, and babywear outside the house, so I think that protected her from a lot of the nastier bugs going around. For comfort I just spend more time at home, let her cuddle, nurse more often, sleep as long as she wants. They've been mild colds, I haven't needed to medicate her (except for pink eye once), and I haven't even bought a nasal aspirator. Just fluffy minky wipes for her nose and some shea butter for the nose redness. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I voted that she hasn't gotten sick yet but I just remembered she had a cold. She handled it very well and it didn't seem to change her behavior at all. She had a more difficult time breathing so I used the nose frida around 3 times a day to help clear her out. Breast feeding was super funny because she would take a few gulps, unlatch real quick to gasp for air, get right back to it and repeat lol
  • Our LO was sick the whole first month she was in daycare. Yellow/green profusely runny nose, eye goop, and an ear infection. It was gross. We elevated her crib mattress with a pillow, humidifier by her bed, baby Vicks all over her chest, boogie mist saline spray with the nose Frida, and boogie wipes. She never required antibiotics (except for the ear infection). But our pedi said we could give her Benadryl at night, which we did and it did seem to help dry up her secretions. The boogie mist, wipes, and nose frida were our morning routine for about 3 weeks straight and she hated life, but it really helped. We also started adding a probiotic from Whole Foods to her bottles per our pedi's recommendation. 
  • The only time he has gotten sick I gave it to him. It was a nasty head cold and the only reason he went to the doctors was because he stopped taking his bottle and I was worried he'd get dehydrated. He handled the runny nose and sneezing like a champ though. No fussing at all really much better than DH who got it last!! LOL
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • We haven't gotten sick yet, but we start daycare on Thursday so I'm prepared for a lot of upcoming sick baby.  :/

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • RSV at 3 months old, was the worst experience ever. I cried everyday. Other then that he's had some congestion here or there but nothing along the lines of a real sickness since the RSV. I don't wish that on anyone
  • DS2 has RAD which is sort of like baby asthma that he may or may not grow out of as he gets older.  We just try to make him as comfortable as possible, educate ourselves in terms of what warning signs to be alert for and stay calm if he has an attack.  

We keep certain things on hand: Motrin, Nose Frida, saline drops.  We also completely ignore eating and sleeping schedules since he will likely not be himself in terms of appetite and need to sleep more than usual.  
  • Never had a cold but she did have a mild fever that was followed by a rash on her little body (we're thinking it was roseola but thankfully a mild case).  She was mostly herself except very sleepy and little to no appetite for solids. I was going to call her pediatrician but it was the weekend and she wasn't too bad still nursing so I figured I'd see how she was doing by Monday and she was all better by then. 

Lots of sleep. Baths. Cuddles. 

Me and her dad have both had colds on separate occasions and she's been around some sick children in the family. Thankfully and amazingly she never caught one! 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• No colds or anything like that yet.  BUT we all had the stomach flu from hell for over a week...I always thought he'd catch a cold first!  
  • Just a couple very mild colds despite my best efforts to prevent her from getting sick, but we can't keep them isolated forever.
  • I think my LO has been sick more than she's been healthy. We're on our second ear infection and second dose of antibiotics for this one... Three weeks later and maybe getting better?.... We've also had rsv and strep throat at the same time. I also cannot count the number of colds she's had. Hopefully that means when she's older her immune system will be built up and less illnesses. Oh and she's had breastmilk the whole time.
  • I had one nasty cold this past winter and bronchitis that lasted a month! Fortunately my baby did not get sick either time. I got my mom and my husband sick though. I'd say it was the breastfeeding that kept my baby from getting sick.
  • My LO has had 4 colds this year. We used Nose Frida, saline spray, boogie wipes, cool mist humidifier, and letting her sleep on slight incline. Plus lots of cuddles. You wish you'd be sick 100 days over them being sick even one day. 
  • No sickness yet, knock on wood! I've been a germaphobe ever since first tri when I got influenza and then pneumonia. I wash my hands and use hand sanitizer whenever I can't watch my hands and never touch door handles at work anymore. This winter was the first winter I haven't gotten sick.

I also kept baby in the house most of the winter during flu season and away from germs and sick people. He doesn't go to daycare and is watched by his grandmas, so that also helped. Now that flu season is over I'm a little more relaxed, but still wash my hands frequently and use our cart/high chair cover when in public. I know he'll get sick eventually, but I'm not looking forward to it!
  • My LO woke up with her first cold on New Year's Eve and she had her first stomach bug in February.
    Anniversary
    TTC #1 Since April 2014
    Me: 27 | DH: 31
    08/2006 - Laparoscopy/Stage 1 Endo
    10/2014 - Bloodwork normal, HSG all clear
    10/2014 - DH's SA 15mil/mL, 35% motility, 6% morphology
    BFP #1: 12/29/14 | EDD: 9/9/15

• No colds, but he had the runs for about a week a couple months ago. 
  • No sickness yet but I'm lucky enough to not have to put DS in daycare 
  • My little formula fed premie with an apparently fragile immune system has made it 10 months without a cold! 
  • RSV at 4.5 months. It was awful. Two emergency room visits and an overnight stay in the hospital. He also had a cold at 6 weeks and again two weeks ago. He's not in daycare and was EBF for 5 months. 
  • jen83mnjen83mn member
    edited June 2016
    jen83mn said:
    No sickness yet, knock on wood! I've been a germaphobe ever since first tri when I got influenza and then pneumonia. I wash my hands and use hand sanitizer whenever I can't watch my hands and never touch door handles at work anymore. This winter was the first winter I haven't gotten sick.

I also kept baby in the house most of the winter during flu season and away from germs and sick people. He doesn't go to daycare and is watched by his grandmas, so that also helped. Now that flu season is over I'm a little more relaxed, but still wash my hands frequently and use our cart/high chair cover when in public. I know he'll get sick eventually, but I'm not looking forward to it!
    Ugh, why did I respond to this poll? Sure enough, one week later, baby gets his first cold. We went on our first vacation by plane this week and with all the kiddos on the plane and at the resort in the pool, I'm not surprised one bit he caught something, especially since he's in the put-everything-in-his-mouth stage. This is torture ... feel so bad for little man, and he's trying so hard to not let it get to him. Meanwhile, I'm trying not to catch it as he sneezes in my face throughout the day. I knew it would happen sooner or later, but it's definitely not fun to see your little one suffering :(
  • My DH is a custodian at the local school board. He's around kids and all types of cold and flu germs daily! Our little one has been sick three times now with a cold since he was born. The way I see it is if he's sick now he may not be so bad when he starts day care and school. It's so tough seeing him cough and sneeze and be stuffed up. All I do is put a tiny bit of vicks on his feet at night. I also make sure he's eating a lot and drinking some fluids. Seems the colds only last at maximum a week. 
  • NirolosaNirolosa member
    edited June 2016
    We've had somewhere between 12-16 colds but a rather subsantial amount of that was a cycle of my mum babysitting, getting LO's cold, babysitting when she thought she was out of the woods (I'd add another 3 days after) and then giving it back to LO. Repeat for four or five months were we just went in a cycle of flem.

Note: We would often get sick, get over it and be sick again two weeks later (if lucky) or as soon as a week after the first one. I went to both his and my doctors to see if there was a reason for it. It was there we discovered the likely reinfection cycle.