February 2016 Moms

Crib woes

Okay, so I've seen discussions about when to transition baby to crib, but not really conversations about *how.* LO sleeps really well at night in our bedroom (in a pack and play), and during the day he naps in his swing chair, in the boppy, or on someone. I really want to get him into his crib (and in his own bedroom) to sleep at night, as he will be 16 weeks tomorrow. That said, I've tried getting him used to the crib by having him nap in there during the day, but he HATES it. Screams his head off and refuses to sleep, even when he is exhausted. I'm a FTM, looking for any tips as to how to get baby to warm up to his crib. 

Thanks in advance. 

Re: Crib woes

• I'd try it at night first. If he's used to lying flat on his back at bedtime, the transition from pack n play to crib will be easier than the other things. 

As far as naps, I tend to go with the flow on that one. Babies just don't get into as deep of a sleep at nap time at this age, and if the movement of a swing helps them sleep a little longer, in all for it. It's tough to have to hold them to get them to nap, but If they'll do it on their own somewhere other than your arms, I think that's great. My first two were napping in their cribs consistently closer for 4.5-5 months. 
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I've read that you should either bring the crib into your room and then move it to his own after he's used to it, or move the pack n play into his own room and then do the crib after he's used to that
  • Loading the player...
  • We started putting LO in her crib at 5 weeks because she was such a LOUD sleeper!  She transitioned okay but I think it was because we would put her in there frequently during the day.  So if I was folding laundry, I'd put her in there and turn on her mobile that way she was contained but could still get used to being in it.  Then we did a couple of naps on there before just putting her in it one night.  I was thinking she'd wake up after a couple if hours but slept for alsmot 8 before waking.  She may have been a fluke but she sleeps in it like a champ at night now.  Naps are still hit or miss in it.  Might just give it a try one night and see how it goes...good luck!
  • My LO only napped on me until about 2.5 months (I think--it's all a blur) and only slept in the rock n play at night. I started putting her in her crib for naps (swaddled) and it took a week of terrible naps (12-20 minutes each) and crabbiness she started napping well in the crib (30-45+ minutes and less crabbiness). I then tried her in the pack n play at night (expecting it to go terribly since the first time I tried she woke about every 15 minutes) but she slept 5 hours. She had 2 real rough weeks soon after but is back to being a good sleeper now. 
  • We transitioned our lo from pack n play to crib at 11 weeks. Pnp and crib are very similar surfaces so she really has no issue. I agree with pp who said you should try moving pnp into baby's room or crib into your room. I also have never let her nap in her crib so there is clear separation between nap and bed times.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We had LO sleeping in our room in the pack n play too and at 2 months decided to try to move him to his crib. Before we did I also tried to put him in the crib for naps to get him used to it and he HATED it. He screamed every time. So one night I just decided to try it and he did great! The first 2 nights he woke up once and since then he has been sleeping 10-12 hours every night. I still can't get him to nap in his crib. But as long as he continues to do good at night I'm ok with it! He is 15 weeks now.
  • I didn't bother with trying with naps, the first time I put LO in the crib it was at night and it worked well. I would try just trying it at night and see what happens
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Our little one has been sleeping in his crib (in our room) since he was about 3 weeks, when we transitioned him from his cozy little bassinet. It was a family heirloom. My partner and all his siblings slept in it as babies; we carried on the tradition. My little nephew came along and needed a turn too, so we pretty much had to make the switch!

One thing we did, which might not be "allowed" due to SIDS concerns, is we put a baby nest down in the crib. It just seemed so big in there and I got the feeling after the first night in the crib that our little guy felt insecure with all that space around him. The baby nest helped make it more snug. After the first night, he didn't have any issues in there at all.

Once the little dude is sleeping through the night better, I hope we can just move his crib over to his room without much trouble. Fingers crossed. We'll see. I guess we'll start with naps.
  • If he's not too long, try putting him in the wrong way. With his head and feet along the long edges of the crib. IDK why, but Harrison didn't really like his crib until we laid him in that way. Now that he's too long, we put him in the right way, but he's used to it and doesn't seem to mind.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • My little one has been sleeping in his crib since week 3. He was sleeping in the bassinet before me transferring him. But he will not nap in his crib during the day. He naps in his swing. With having 3 older children it's just hard for him personally to fall into deep sleep during the day so the swinging/music definitly helps. I think you should try at night when your baby is ready for bed. Work on naps later. 
  • My little one has been sleeping in his crib since week 3. He was sleeping in the bassinet before me transferring him. But he will not nap in his crib during the day. He naps in his swing. With having 3 older children it's just hard for him personally to fall into deep sleep during the day so the swinging/music definitly helps. I think you should try at night when your baby is ready for bed. Work on naps later. 
    This sounds like our exact situation. Caleb's three older brothers make it difficult for him to get a good nap in, so I also resort to doing naps in the swing quite often. It's the only way I can get anything done during the day.

• It took lots of patience and time but lo finally maps and sleeps in her crib. We just repeatedly put her in there and started a routine and stuck to it