January 2016 Moms

Memorial Monday Bitchfest

edited May 2016 in January 2016 Moms
Let it all out here ladies!

My DD2 has acid reflux. Her pediatrician told DH and I how he wants us to introduce her to solids. He also said many babies with reflux do better after they start solids, but he only recommends starting solids earlier than 6 months if it's severe reflux. I posted a link to an article by the AAP on FB over it. A friend had a baby 2 weeks after I had DD2 and she said she is giving her son solids because he's fat....smh.

Also DH is in bad trouble. I work overnights so he is with DD2 while I work. I worked an overnight last night and I have yet to nap or sleep...he was supposed to help me get a few things done around the house that he was adamant he had to help me with, but he's asleep. Also he told me he wants me to make more of an effort to sleep or nap with him in the bed. He's asleep...but taking up the whole middle of the bed...so he can sleep alone.

Also to those ladies that serve our country: Thank you so very much for your service!

Re: Memorial Monday Bitchfest

• I don't real have anything to bitch about today. @PedsIsHardcore your fb pal didn't get the memo that most babies tend to be chunky. And its adorable. My daughter was 25 inches and 14 pounds 15 ounces at her 4 month appointment
  • Chubby babies are the cutest! My LO has some rolls going on and it's adorable. 
  • Loading the player...
  • lrayaslrayas member
    Everyone telling me to give my LO rice cereal. Ugh! She's only 4 months old. She does not need it! 
  • lrayas said:
    Everyone telling me to give my LO rice cereal. Ugh! She's only 4 months old. She does not need it! 
    Me too! People are SHOCKED that we're not giving her rice cereal, especially since LO isn't sleeping through the night. That's the magical fix I guess, but we're not doing it.
  • Ugh! Rice cereal. No. What is with the old ladies and rice cereal? I had a family friend tell me she gave her boys cereal at 5 days old. And it comes with the assumption she is given bottles. She gets bottles if I'm at work or out, she's breast fed. I refuse to give her rice cereal. I understand it's needed for some babies but not mine. She isn't waking at night because she's hungry. She was 15 pounds at her 4 month well check. Shut up. Why would i feed her something that the only nutritional value is not naturally occurring and just sits heavy in her little tummy. I'm considering avoiding baby food all together
    If you can't tell, the rice cereal is driving me nuts.
  • My LO was 20lbs at his 4 month check up
  • Right now rice cereal is controversial because of the arsenic content of it. A lot of food, for example apples, have arsenic in it. Our pediatrician doesn't even want us giving her rice cereal after we start solids. He prefers the other cereals even but we are going to go with veggies and fruits to start out with but we will eventually be adding in meat. Baby food meat seems gross to me so I would rather cook it, user the blender and then give it to DD2. I want to stay away from the cereals just because we do low carb high protein anyways. So we don't have a lot of bread or pasta. We do the zucchini pasta.
  • I realize it's Tuesday now, but this goes here. I'm going to strangle my DH, I really am. The 3 year old is doing very well with using the potty and going to the potty before it is an emergency, but he still is only 3. Leave the damn potty seat on the toilet! I realize you don't use it, neither do it, but when it is an emergency, those few seconds it takes for my 3 yr old to put the seat on the toilet and "do it himself" makes him have an accident. If I put the seat on for him, he will take it off so he can put it back on himself. Seriously, how hard is it to remember to put the seat back on when you are done?! Gah!
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Im in the same boat and it's Tuesday but this is going here. 

My family can kick rocks. I'm tired of them, I can never please them. And the SECOND I find a baby sitter I trust I will cut ties with them.... All of them.
  • nackienackie member
    I don't know if my coworker got me sick and I gave it to the baby, or he caught something at daycare and gave it to me, but we're both sick.  Stupid colds.
  • I'm just going to say that rice cereal and oatmeal do not make a baby sleep  through the night.  I started giving him a little here and there before bed then I nurse him to sleep and he still has been waking up 3 times a night. Which is also new in the last month I'm assuming due to the 2 teeth he just got. ....any way it's not a "fix it" for sleeping.  You mama's just keep doing what's best for your baby and tell everyone else to kick rocks. 
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    My mother is visiting and will NOT stop talking about my son teething. Today she "saw a piece of fuzz in his mouth and didn't want him to eat it" so she decided to get it out with her finger (eye roll. Keep your hands out of his mouth) she then said she "just so happened to brush against his gums" and inform me they are in her expert opinion puffy. 

She said it so nice and even made sure I knew her hands were very clean and it's really not a big deal she's just trying to be helpful so I just nicely thanked her BUT I just needed somewhere to say I'm still not convinced there was a fuzz. Hahaha 
  • @carlyhammond my son was 20 lbs at 4 months too!

Because he's a chunker and not sleeping through the night everyone's answer is that he's starving and must be given rice cereal ASAP! Clearly he's growing just fine on breast milk alone but thank you, older generation for your unwanted opinions! 
  • My MIL tried telling me she read an article how babies shouldn't be gluten free after I told her we were skipping cereal all together. I told her we plan on offering him toast for the texture and other gluten containing foods so she doesn't have to worry about gluten. She didn't know what to say.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Not intending to start any controversy here as I was also planning to skip cereal, but i read this article which is a summary of an article in the journal of the American Medical Association (I did not read that article so I don't know if this is an accurate summary), but it discusses higher risk of diabetes if cereal is introduced before 4 months or after six months.  My pediatrician had also referenced new medical research on benefits of starting solids pre-6 months so maybe this is what he was referring to?  Anyway, I'm now reconsidering skipping cereal and thinking I maybe I might try oatmeal next week when she turns 5 months.  Oddly, I've had no pressure from relatives to give cereal -- although lots of pressure that I should stop breastfeeding and turn to formula so .... I get how annoying it is!
  • Becky012016Becky012016 member
    edited June 2016
    Not intending to start any controversy here as I was also planning to skip cereal, but i read this article which is a summary of an article in the journal of the American Medical Association (I did not read that article so I don't know if this is an accurate summary), but it discusses higher risk of diabetes if cereal is introduced before 4 months or after six months.  My pediatrician had also referenced new medical research on benefits of starting solids pre-6 months so maybe this is what he was referring to?  Anyway, I'm now reconsidering skipping cereal and thinking I maybe I might try oatmeal next week when she turns 5 months.  Oddly, I've had no pressure from relatives to give cereal -- although lots of pressure that I should stop breastfeeding and turn to formula so .... I get how annoying it is!
    I read something similar but pertaining to commonly allergenic foods. Basically there's a sweet spot for introducing certain foods to minimize the change of a reaction. We haven't started any solids yet but I might once LO is 5 months. ETA link
    https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/forbiddenbabyfood.htm

• Diabetes doesn't work that way. Because type 1 is most common in kiddos, but when you look at someone getting diabetes most of it is hereditary, caused by the immune system trying to fight off a viral infection and unrelated to what they ate as an infant.
    Diabetes happens when a) the pancreas's beta cells are attacked and can no longer make insulin (Type 1) or b) the body develops insulin resistance in which it can't effectively use insulin (Type 2).
    Once DD2 can eat solids sufficiently we will stop formula all together, but she has a little rice in her formula to help with her reflux for now.

• l4rkl4rk member
    edited June 2016
    The public health nurses told me two days ago that they highly recommend introducing iron-rich foods right around 6 months, because that's when they stop getting enough iron from maternal stores. She also said all foods are fine at that point except honey and yogurt.

ETA: my point being that rice cereal or not doesn't really matter as long as they have a steady food source of iron.