Pregnant after IF
Options

Not ready to tell people yet

I am at about 5 weeks now and not officially showing yet. However I am majorly bloated. Because of that, many of my pants don't fit me comfortably.  Because friends and aquaintences know we were ttc, we are getting comments and questions about me being pregnant.

Our immediate family and just a handful of close friends know. Yesterday at a bbq, a work aquaintence of my dh asked if we were having a baby. She knows nothing about us except Because that we got married a few years ago. I responded that hopefully we will have news to share soon. I guess that's all I can say. 

Any other good responses to questions like that and when people ask if anything is new? 

Re: Not ready to tell people yet

• Options
    It is such a delicate topic . I hate that people bring it up . I've been snarky before and said "that's a really sensitive topic for me and I don't really care to discuss it " I didn't like how I felt after I responded that way . I like your answer ... Something along the lines of "hopefully soon " or " working on it " and then immediately changing the subject has seemed to work . That way you don't have to go into details . Really , you are not obligated to share this with anyone . I say whatever you are comfortable with saying is best ! 

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • Options
    tvh1982tvh1982 member
    edited May 2016
    Congratulations!!
    The 'we'll let you know when it happens' or the 'we are working on it' are responses that might help..

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love the response you gave! I think it's perfect, actually. And, congrats to you!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Options
    LynnNJLynnNJ member
    Thanks. I found it's trickier with friends that knew I was going through ivf since I had been open with them before. Today, my response to a friend hinted that I am pregnant or at least am waiting to find out.  It was difficult to answer because she asked if I was waiting to find out.

There are a lot of people (not everyone) who know we were going through ivf and others who know I had a myomectomy last year so I could get pregnant. We'd like to wait until the 2nd trimester, unless I'm showing sonner, to tell most of our good friends. We will likely tell others,  if we can get away with it a little after that.  We would probably do a Facebook announcement for people who we do not need to tell personally after we told everyone else in person,  by email,  or text. 

Originally I was not going to tell many people about the ivf. I ended up telling more people than originally planned because during the retrievals (I did 3 back to back ), my early morning monitoring, all the medications I was taking, the surgery, plus another small surgical procedure,  became such a big part of my life.  There wasn't much more I could talk about when people asked about what was new.

I guess I can keep the attitude that this awkward time is for a happy reason and only for a short time when looking at the big picture.
  • Options
    @LynnNJ For some reason what worked for me is just saying "hopefully one day" or "We'll see how things go.  But right now we're just enjoying each other and our marriage."  Some people knew we were considering IVF but never knew we'd actually done a cycle.  So to them I say that "we are still thinking through all our options and timing with our doctor."  I know the last one is a bit of a half-truth.  But I am very protective of my privacy as well and don't want to let the world know until second trimester.  Whatever works for you is just fine.

Married 09/21/13 * TTC #1 Actively since January 2014
    Me:38 DH: 45, SA Normal
    Diagnosed unexplained infertility
    Nov 7 2014 - HSG
    Nov 30 2014 - BFP
    Dec 15 2014 - MC
    2015 - 3 Rounds clomid - all BFN
    2015 - 2 Rounds Femara - BFN
    (1) IUI August '15
    Switched REs
    IVF #1 clinical trial started January '16
    1/31/16: 26 eggs retrieved, 18 fertilized,  9 made it to blast
    2 month break in February/March '16
    FET planned for April/May '16
    FET resulted in BFP May '16
    MC due to Trisomy 7 in June '16
    FET #2 planned for August/September '16
    August 2016 - BFN
    Egg Retrieval October '16
    PGS tested embryos produced 7 normal embryos (4 males/3 females)
    Robotic Myomectomy for removal of Fibroids November '16
    April 7 2017 - Spontaneous BFP

• Options
    Drove2uDrove2u member
    I was at a party Sunday and some girl says to me so you have kids? I said no and she goes "really? I thought I had two" I said nope. None. She goes "you better jump on that bandwagon" this girl has two kids and was very drunk at the party. Honestly if I wasn't pregnant now I don't know how I would've reacted but I just blew it off. So rude though. I also had another person ask me if I was pregnant because I was just drinking iced tea at the party. Lol. I just said no and changed the subject. Like you can't just go and ask people that. 
  • Options
    vssbrmvssbrm member
    @drove2u I feel so self conscience when there is wine around and I am not drinking, it feels like everyone knows!!! I almost want to just carry a glass around with me and pretend. 
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012