Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

What do you say when acquaintances ask you about having kids?

We are not even 2 weeks passed my D&C and once again an acquaintance- the wife of DH's buddy- asked if we would be having kids. We are in our late 30s and I can't believe that this woman doesn't know people who've struggled. I can't believe the insensitivity. How does this keep happening in casual small talk when I'm obvious not going divulge our painful miscarriages?

I was able to dismiss it with a trite response, but DH got upset and got tears in his eyes as he told her it hasn't been easy for us. He made it clear to her that the question was very painful for us and for that I am grateful.

Im curious how the rest of you handle these situations?

Re: What do you say when acquaintances ask you about having kids?

• Options
    That's hard....at least she said "if" and not "when" (although that must have really stung and never really should have been asked in the first place, I would have had even more of an issue if she'd said the latter). We don't get it very much, but I'm dreading when I go visit my great-Aunt in Massachussetts in a few weeks as I know it's going to come up....like it's so *easy* to just get pregnant. Luckily, her older daughter had a few MC's and had their one and only when she was 37-ish and I can at least give an example. Maybe a, "I'm only gonna say this once" type of thing. 
    Me: 39 DH: 39
    CP 1/25/16 4.5 weeks, developed Graves' disease
  • Options
    I just got the "no kids yet?" question a few nights ago.  We were at a work thing for me and it was a client's wife who asked.  I just said "nope" and moved on...she talked about her grandchildren.  Not worth it in that situation, just said what I needed to say to keep it together.  If I didn't experience IF issues, I would have a one-year old by now!  If I didn't have a loss, I would be visibly pregnant by now! 

I think it really varies situation to situation, person to person.  The right response is whatever feels comfortable for you in that moment.  It's not our responsibility to educate people about why this question is insensitive, so it's totally what feels right to you.  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    It is a really hard question to ask. I had my mc the end of March and it still feels like a punch in the stomach. I usually just smile and say we are working on it. They I usually find a reason to walk away.  I get asked a lot at work, so luckily I have lots of reasons to end the conversation. 
  • Options
    ---TW child mentioned----

I'm always pretty surprised by people's boldness in asking questions like this. Maybe they are just clueless? I am TTC #2 and get the question about "a sibling". I usually say something like, "well, we'd love that, but it hasn't been that easy for us". That usually stops people from wanting to know more and makes them a little afraid to keep pursuing the conversation. 

In one of my more raw moments I told some stranger about my miscarriage at my friend's birthday party. 
  • Options
    Pre-loss and post-loss, my answer has been, "It'll happen when it happens." I've found it to be the perfect way to shut people up, regardless of whether the truth is painful or not. 
  • Options
    When people ask "do you have any kids?" I usually just respond "not yet". It generally shows that yes we want kids and usually they don't press for "when??" To which I respond we are trying.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    When asked when we'll have kids, I usually say "at some point". I definitely have told people about our losses and IF too, but I typically save that for friends or acquaintances who I think will be supportive.
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Short LP (8 days).
    Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

• Options
    I had an old lady at my job fuss at my co worker (who's infertile) and I (I've had 2 ectopics) because we were pregnant and having babies. She said she wanted to baby sit. I just smiled and told her she'd be the first to know. It's so hard to smile and play along when your heart is hurting but most of the time, people just don't know any better. 

It it would be so wonderful if people wouldn't ask. 
  • Options
    TW- children mentioned

I have two children from my previous marriage who spend half the week with me and half the week at their father's house. DH does not have any children. When we go to functions or family get together, we hear a lot of when are you two going to have a baby, or you two should at least have one together. People really like to impose their opinions on us.  Last year at the height of my infertility struggles as it was becoming apparent we needed to see an RE, I hosted a bridal shower for my SIL, and I got a lot of nosey questions and even one woman who had met DH previously said to me, "you need to give that man a baby!" I didn't even know what to say. I just smiled and walked away. It's like sure lady, I'll just reach into my magic treasure chest and pull out a baby. I just wish people would shut the hell up and mind their own business. 
     ****TW: Pregnancy, loss and children mentioned****
    Me (39) DH (40) 
    From my first marriage DD: 03/04 CP:01/06 DS:12/06 
    DH- no kids
    TTC: since 2/15, RE Consult 9/15
    IUI #1 10/15: Letrozole = BFN 
    IUI #2 11/15: Letrozole + trigger = BFN
    1/08/16: Surprise- BFP!!  2/16/16: MMC @10w 2days,  D&C: 2/17/16
    TTCAL: May 2016
    IUI #3 5/27/16: Letrozole+trigger=BFN
    IUI #4 06/24/16: 7.5mg Letrozole+trigger= BFN
    IUI#5 08/24/16 Menopur+trigger = BFN
    IUI #6 09/19/16 5 mg Letrozole +Menopur + Trigger= BFN
    **10/2016: No more medicated cycles, TTCAL on our own**
    12/03/16: BFP!! EDD: 08/12/17 It's a girl!! 
    Eleni was born on 8/14/17!!
  • Options
    It depends on who says this to me. Lately at work, there have been a couple people who have asked when I was having kids/was I pregnant. When I was polite and said "no" or "not yet" and they kept pressing, I said to them, "You should really never ask people about this. You never know what they've been through." It shuts them up and let's them know there may be troubles, but not in a specific way. It's my go-to response now. And I do not care if it makes things awkward if I save another lady from annoying and rude questioning. 
  • Options
    chloe97chloe97 member
    Thanks guys. Last night at the 2nd wedding we went to this weekend, both sets of parents said during their toasts "We want grandchildren! Get to work." The couple laughed and thought it was hilarious, but many couples around the room grimaced. That Mind Your Own Womb post is great and everything people need to know. 
  • Options
    @roxgibbons "you need to give that man a baby"?!  Wow.  I hate how IF and loss are so often put entirely on the woman with these sorts of comments.  I don't need it to be DH's "fault," I just want it not to be mine (or anyone's!).  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Options
    chloe97chloe97 member
    Wow @thatlauragirl that is the way to handle that! I admire your guts!
  • Options
    @BrightenMySky  I know, it's like people forget it takes two to make a baby. I like @lauragirl's approach. I think I may do that next time someone inquires about my womb.

****TW: Pregnancy, loss and children mentioned****
    Me (39) DH (40) 
    From my first marriage DD: 03/04 CP:01/06 DS:12/06 
    DH- no kids
    TTC: since 2/15, RE Consult 9/15
    IUI #1 10/15: Letrozole = BFN 
    IUI #2 11/15: Letrozole + trigger = BFN
    1/08/16: Surprise- BFP!!  2/16/16: MMC @10w 2days,  D&C: 2/17/16
    TTCAL: May 2016
    IUI #3 5/27/16: Letrozole+trigger=BFN
    IUI #4 06/24/16: 7.5mg Letrozole+trigger= BFN
    IUI#5 08/24/16 Menopur+trigger = BFN
    IUI #6 09/19/16 5 mg Letrozole +Menopur + Trigger= BFN
    **10/2016: No more medicated cycles, TTCAL on our own**
    12/03/16: BFP!! EDD: 08/12/17 It's a girl!! 
    Eleni was born on 8/14/17!!