May 2016 Moms

Question about Advanced Maternal Age and late delivery

I will be 40 weeks this Thursday and my doctor says there's been no further dilation since week 36. He couldn't even stretch me to 4cm. It looks like I will be going past my due date and possibly to week 41. At that point, the doctor wants to induce at week 41.
He made no mention of any risks of waiting that long, but I've read online that I have a slightly higher risk of stillbirth after week 40 due to my age (I am 36). My doctor gave me the option to induce this weekend and assured me that if I chose to wait, there'd be no risk. Those were his words. No risk. I'd be fine. Still, I'm unsettled by the research I've read online.
I guess my question is, if you were me, would you wait until week 41 or go for induction? There are no other complications other than itchy skin (cholestasis was ruled out, levels were not even close to the cutoff). Baby's been moving okay (not much though).

Re: Question about Advanced Maternal Age and late delivery

• I wouldn't count yourself going to 41 just yet. I went into labor on my own at 39+5 and stayed at 2cm and 70% for 2 weeks prior, so there's hope.

I agree with PP, if your doctor is ok with it then I'd go for it. Weigh your pros and cons. Probably even address that concern about stillbirth to him, he knows your medical history. Your baby is probably moving less because they're running out room in there.
  • Loading the player...
  • vinerievinerie member
    FWIW, I'm almost 39, and waited. I delivered at 41+1. Was prepared to go to 42. More important than your age is your overall health, IMO and in my doctor's opinion, which is why we were in no rush to induce. But like anything in medicine, there are few black and white choices.
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• mello13mello13 member
    I'd call your doctor and be blunt about your concerns and fears. There is no shame in being honest and straightforward when it comes to concerns for your child. He gave you the option to go this weekend, so call now and have a chat. He will likely reassure you and you can ask why he thinks there isn't increased risk. Just be honest. And if you're still worried then go for the induction (this is coming from someone who has anxiety and was 36 and 37 weeks for her two deliveries). And you may still go into labor on your own before you hit 40 weeks/get to your induction. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, you guys are right. The doctor knows my age (36) and my chart has me labeled as "High Risk Pregnancy," although I was never told I was high-risk. I'm assuming this is an automatic since I'm over 35. I did have some minor complications during the first trimester as well. Anyway, he knows I'm older and he said that there's no risk waiting til week 41. I have to trust him on that one.
  • Wow.  My doctor made no mention about my age (35) throughout the pregnancy other than the fact that my AMA would be a reason for insurance to cover the Panorama test.  Granted, I am in good health and had a very easy, healthy pregnancy but he was willing to go up to 42 weeks with me to attempt a VBAC but he did not want to induce after 41 weeks due to risks to the placenta and did not say that age was a factor.  We did end up having a RCS because I had no cervical progress and both agreed a RCS was less riskier than an induction that would likely be unsuccessful followed by an emergency c-section and I'm very please with that decision.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Meanwhile...my doctor has blamed everything on being 35. Go figure. 
  • Just got back from the doctor. He doesn't let any of his patients go past 41 so I'm scheduled for an induction this Thursday