January 2017 Moms
Options

Off the pre-pregnancy low carb diet and having a tough time adapting.

Hi Ladies! I've been having a tough time with meals lately. Pre-pregnancy, I followed a low carb diet of 20-50 carbs per day - no grains, rice, bread, pasta, etc. It worked pretty well for me. My Dr. said not to follow a low carb diet while pregnant, so I brought them back (and enjoyed it - I'll admit it!). I also went through about two weeks where I was exhausted and nauseous, and all I wanted was rice, bread, and noodles. Eggs, chicken and salads (which used to be my favorite staples seemed disgusting to me). So needless to say, I'm up about 5 pounds which is I think might be too much for being 8 weeks pregnant, and while part of it might be bloat and my boobs (which have gotten unnecessarily larger), I know most of that is due to my eating. I need some sort of plan to get myself on track. I can't gain weight at this rate. Has anyone experienced anything similar and come up with a good pregnancy eating plan? I think I need to have some sort of structure. Thanks!
BabyFruit Ticker

DS Born 5/7/2014

Re: Off the pre-pregnancy low carb diet and having a tough time adapting.

• Options
    KurtniKurtni member
    I ate low carb before pregnancy too, and I am just really particular about the carbs I do eat now. I have whole grain bread, oatmeal, and beans. I have an air popper for popcorn which is the best way I've found to curb "junk food" carb cravings without actually eating junk.  I don't do crackers, pasta or rice, because the serving size to calorie ratio doesn't work for me, I know I'll over eat.

You also have to think fruits and vegetables are a source of carbs too. So even if you're not eating bread or pasta, you're still probably getting the recommended amount. But really, 5 pounds could just be bloat. You might be doing better than you give yourself credit for. 

I keep a list on my fridge of nutrients/food groups I want to hit every day. So, there is a column of foods with folate, iron, calcium, protein, etc. It's hard for me to stick with a meal plans personally, but if I can just tick things off a list with options, I do pretty well most days. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Kurtni said:

I keep a list on my fridge of nutrients/food groups I want to hit every day. So, there is a column of foods with folate, iron, calcium, protein, etc. It's hard for me to stick with a meal plans personally, but if I can just tick things off a list with options, I do pretty well most days. 

This right here. This is what I was going to suggest, it works for me as well. Plus if you have an SO or someone who likes to bring you food, they know what some better choices are if you add snacks on there.

(My hubby likes to bring home 'treats', and he frequently asks me now "Wait can you eat this? Can you eat that?" So I have my list of can/cannot for foods on the fridge.)

<3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker