January 2017 Moms

Work worries- maternity leave in "tax season"

Does anyone else work in public accounting? I feel like it's hanging over my head and putting a damper on my mood that I'm going to have to tell my boss that I'm going to be on maternity leave for the vast majority of our busy season. I know the logical part of me says that people will be supportive and happy for me, but I also am totally expecting lots of negative comments from people in the office. But this is my second and I may only have one more. So if I miss 2 tax seasons in my career for pregnancy that would be it,.... It's 1 year out of my whole career.... But it just keeps hanging over my head and kinda bothering me. 

Re: Work worries- maternity leave in "tax season"

• I was in public accounting but I got out prior to having my children.   Honestly, I saw your post and chuckled lucky you.   :)  Don't stress yourself, I am sure your firm will find someone to fill the holes.   Also, if your firm was like mine busy season stinks but so do the rest of the 60 hour work weeks from April to December.   I will tell you . . . unplug yourself on leave and enjoy it because at the end of the day, you are in a field with lots of opportunities :)  Also, let your Partners know how your feeling, let them know you had some anxiety about it.   They will understand. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @CoUnTryBB1 lol! I actually went to 40 hours FY except as needed when DD was born because DH works a very inflexible 60+ hour work week and we wouldn't have ever been able to take care of DD but I know what you mean. I think it's just fresh in my head because 2 managers in offices near me complained ALL of last busy season because we had 3 interns who were pt, 3 staff/seniors who went to 40 hours bc they were in an mba program, and 1 manager whose been 40 hours for like 20 years. It's just kinda of got my stomach in knots. We have "mentors" who are supposed to help us with any day to day issues that aren't job specific and mine was one of the ones on the war path against part time people last tax season. She gets kind of tunnel vision and then has rare moments of clarity where she realizes other things come before taxes. I think my managing partner will wish I could be here but be a bit more understanding. But as for the rest of the office I know I'll get those jokey comments about oh way to have a baby during tax season...

im a bit jealous you got out!!! We don't have a lot of places to go to from public accounting around here bc it's not a bubbling economy so I'll probably be here for at least 5-10 more years. If not my whole career. 

• Loading the player...
  • That is nice, our firm never offered that.  People are going to make jokes you are right, there is no stopping it.   I wouldn't let it bother you.   I missed it at first but I don't anymore.  I like the work.life balance I have.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

• edited May 2016
    My husband is in public accounting and he is concerned about having a baby so close to tax season too... thankfully his bosses understand family comes first and, while we haven't told them about the new baby yet since I'm only 5 weeks, we anticipate that they'll be very cooperative and will give him the same leave that he had last year when DD was born in June (2 weeks). I'm sure for you it's more stressful since I assume you'll be taking a full maternity leave, but do what's best for your family! If other people judge you for putting your family's needs above work even during busy season, then their priorities are seriously messed up.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @karaelaine1991 I am due 1/28 and having a csection since I had one with my first so I'll probably go the week before 1/28 sometime and be out a minimum of 8 weeks since it's a csection. That puts me back after 3/15.... And it's particularly rough bc I think next tax season they are moving around some of the filing deadlines. If I take a full 12 weeks id come back on tax day literally. So I don't know what I'll do.
  • @karaelaine1991 that's so nice they give your DH leave! 
  • edited May 2016
    @karaelaine1991 I am due 1/28 and having a csection since I had one with my first so I'll probably go the week before 1/28 sometime and be out a minimum of 8 weeks since it's a csection. That puts me back after 3/15.... And it's particularly rough bc I think next tax season they are moving around some of the filing deadlines. If I take a full 12 weeks id come back on tax day literally. So I don't know what I'll do.
    Oh that's my EDD too! :)

ETA ugh bump keeps deleting my comments.  Anyway, if it were me, I'd probably take the full 12 weeks but I know if my husband were in your shoes he'd probably go back in March bc he hates when work piles up.  Good luck deciding! And yeah,his bosses can be really great :) we're lucky he works for them!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker