June 2016 Moms

ECV - worth the risks?

DeePaddy24DeePaddy24 member
edited May 2016 in June 2016 Moms
My baby boy is [currently] still breech, & I need to decide whether or not I want my OB to try an ECV to manually turn him by my next appointment. I've discussed the procedure & its risks with my OB, & I've watched a few videos of it being done on youtube (those were fun...eek!). My questions are...has anyone had this done, either for this pregnancy or any previous ones? If so, what was your experience like? Would you recommend it or consider doing it again? I'm feeling conflicted & overwhelmed with info at the moment. If anyone can offer any insight into this I'd be super grateful! 
The main goal is for this little guy to get here safely, so if that means going ahead with a scheduled c-section then that's just what I'll do. Of course, though, my first choice would be to deliver him vaginally. 
Thanks, mamas! :)
Me: 30 || DH: 32
Married: May 3, 2014 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

SaveSave

Re: ECV - worth the risks?

• You know I'm in the same boat so I'm looking forward to the responses you get! Hang in there!!
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • If my LO rotates or is posterior (he's currently head down) I will try the Webster maneuver with a chiropractor first before the ECV. 

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/chiropractic-care-during-pregnancy/
  • Loading the player...
  • I tried an ECV with my daughter. My OB would only do it if I was already in the OR with the epidural, so if there was an emergency they could get her out fast. I was 38+2 so it wasn't "too early". It wasn't successful - they could only get her to turn a 1/4 of the way before her heart beat dipped and they performed a Csection. 
    I talked to a few friends who had it done - including two who had it successful. Neither had epidurals and they both described it as extremely painful. One had the baby go into distress and almost had to be put under for an emergency Csection. Luckily, baby's heart beat came back up and she was able to go into labor naturally a few days later. 
    For this baby (who is still breech), I probably will not be offered an ECV (due to medical opinion that there is risk of uterine rupture). On the off chance I am offered it, I'm not sure if I'd do it again. It was very stressful and difficult when baby went into distress, adding a whole other level of anxiety/confusion/overwhelming feeling to the experience. On the other hand, I'd rather have a vaginal birth than another Csection. I'd probably choose not too. 
  • It depends on how badly you want a vaginal birth. I had been scheduled for an ECV but after talking to a LOT of friends (doctors etc) I decided that I was fine with a C-section. So I didn't see a reason to put my baby through the risk and stress of an ECV, however small the risk is (I think the risks are pretty low).
  • I had one with my second, who was breech.  It was painful, not gonna lie.  I had to go into the actual hospital to have it done, not just my OBs office just incase something happened.  They tried 3 times to turn her...each time they could get her moved a bit and then she would just push back into the breech position.  She was never in distress thankfully, it just hurt me mostly.  They told me we could try it again the next week and I said no thanks, let's just schedule the c-sec (even though they offered vaginal breech delivery, which I do regret now not trying).

I go in next week to see if this LO is head down *fingers crossed* and if I was given the option of an ECV (not sure what the policy is for previous c-sec) I'd decline and just do a RCS. 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• I have only done research on this because DD just recently went head down, but I would at least wait until 36 weeks to make the final decision. If you were to do ECV, anytime before that could just result in the baby turning back. 

• sorarose said:
    I have only done research on this because DD just recently went head down, but I would at least wait until 36 weeks to make the final decision. If you were to do ECV, anytime before that could just result in the baby turning back. 
    I have to have my decision made by my next appt with the high risk OB, at which point I will be 36 + 4. Gives me the time to weigh my options, but I'm still struggling with what I want to do. 

SaveSave
  • I have a friend that just did this... I will tag her and see if she responds :smile: 

@VitaLuna want to share your story?

Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• I am in a similar boat and we voted not to have it done. Although, I have been seeing a chiro using the Webster technique and also lots of at-home things to do from SpinningBabies.com, hoping LO changes directions. Once the Dr. stated that the process could put the baby into distress and there was a reason they were facing head-up, we decided not to move forward. I would rather schedule a c-section and be prepared for what is going to happen. There are lots of women who try to vaginally birth, are in labor for hours, and then have a c-section in the end, as it is. Good luck with your decision and I hope your LO flips! 
  • I did not have this done, but I have heard that it is painful, and has a low success rate.  In many instances, it can induce labor either during or shortly after the procedure, so there is a risk of delivering at 36 weeks.  It's possible too, that if it is unsuccessful, you will need a CS. 
  • Depending how how far along you are spinningbabies has daily exercises that are supposed to help.  Also your posture when you sit and walk help to.  You basically don't want your pelvis too tip backwards.
  • Lurking I had this done with my 2nd. It was in the hospital I was given pain medication and an Iv. It did hurt really really bad but was  successful . We stayed in the hospital for hours being monitored just to be safe. I gave birth a week later. 
  • I had one a week ago. The risks are fairly low & I was a good candidate for success (small baby, good amount of amniotic fluid & second baby so more flexible uterus). It was more uncomfortable/painful than delivering DS!!! It did hurt but was totally worth it. I had no meds (epidural or uterus relaxer) and was exactly 37w. We tried twice in one direction, wouldn't budge; then once in the other direction with total success. Unbelievable. Very intense but amazing. No stress at all for baby. My husband kept his voice next to the baby the whole time & cheered her on, me too from my end. You would have thought baby was going for a gold medal in the olympics. If you do it, talk to your baby and cheer her on. Let her know she's going to the right place for an easier birth! Good luck.
  • Amh+ekbAmh+ekb member
    Lurker here. But I actually just had an ECV this morning and thought I would share my story. 

I am a FTM 36+5 today. I found out on Monday that my baby was frank breech and the doctor gave me the options of trying an ECV or scheduling a csection at 39 weeks. I struggled with the decision as well but ultimately decided that it was worth a try to avoid a csection. 

The ECV was done at the hospital and I was given an IV just to be prepared in case of emergency. They did an ultrasound to check baby's position and monitored his heart rate, my heart rate, BP and contractions the whole time. My doctor also assured me that if I wanted to stop at any point for any reason they would absolutely stop. 

I knew it would be painful but I could not have prepared myself for how painful it actually was. I'm not going to lie...it was pretty awful! But it was quick. The baby turned and there were no complications. It probably took less than 2 minutes for the doctors to turn the baby...but it was an intense 2 minutes. I don't know if I could have taken it much longer than that!  I am extremely thankful baby cooperated quickly. They monitored baby and me for about an hour after the procedure and I got some fluids thru the IV because I was having mild contractions. 

When all was said and done, I was glad I did it & I would consider doing it again if I had too. But like you said- the most important thing is getting baby here safely. All of these decisions are definitely overwhelming but try to stay calm and go with your gut. There really is no right or wrong decision. Good luck mama! 
  • No personal experience, but a doctor with whom I work recently had one - it was successful & she had a vaginal delivery a week or so later. 

Personally, I think one very important thing to consider is vaginal vs c/s in terms of possible next pregnancies.  A first (primary) c/s is safe (with the caveat that everything has risks - vaginal, version, c/s, etc), but more serious complications come in with subsequent pregnancies, and those risks increase with the number of c/sections.  I've had one vaginal and one c/s.  I'm really, really hoping for a VBAC this time, b/c I *might* have another and having two uterine scars starts to make me uncomfortable.
  • Hi @DeePaddy24 . what did you end up doing? my baby is also breech. I am 36+ weeks. my dr doesnt want to attempt an evc. says its not very successful in FTM and can cause distress to baby or a ruptured uterus. i very much so want to deliver vaginally though. i've tried getting into different positions from spinning babies and am also seeing a chiropractor. nothing has worked so far.
  • Hi @DeePaddy24 . what did you end up doing? my baby is also breech. I am 36+ weeks. my dr doesnt want to attempt an evc. says its not very successful in FTM and can cause distress to baby or a ruptured uterus. i very much so want to deliver vaginally though. i've tried getting into different positions from spinning babies and am also seeing a chiropractor. nothing has worked so far.
    I have decided against it. My OB doesn't think I'm a great candidate for it, & gave me a success rate of only 20-25%. As much as I wanted to deliver vaginally, I'd much rather get this boy here safely, & I just don't think the risks associated with the ECV are worth it to me. At least now I know I've got the time to fully prepare myself for the c-section & recovery process. I was upset about it all at first, but I've come to terms with it & am happy with my decision. I tried a bunch of things to get this boy to flip, as well, but he seems pretty damn happy how he is, lol. 
    Good luck!!

SaveSave
  • lm45678lm45678 member
    Are your OBs doing an ultrasound every week? My LO was breech until about 35 weeks and they said they would do an ultrasound every week to see if they flipped. He even said that the morning of my scheduled c-section they would do an ultrasound and if LO had flipped they would send me home and wait for me to go into labor naturally.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • @laurenm2123 I'm having one every other week, along with one the morning of my scheduled c-section. 

SaveSave
  • Hi @DeePaddy24 thanks for the info! i think my little boy is pretty happy where he is too! stubborn already lol. good luck with everything =)

@laurenm2123 yes, having an u/s every week as well as the morning of c-sec. dr said he *could* still flip but im just not too optimistic.

i am thinking of trying acupuncture and moxibutsion as my last effort to help him move. if that doesn't work then i will have no choice but to accept the fact that it will most likely be a c-section. i guess everything will work out the way it is meant to in the end
  • @bkzlexie23 I have two coworkers who both had successful ECVs and both were FTMs at the time. So it can happen. My ECV as a FTM wasn't successful at all, and my daughter went into distress and ended up needing an emergency Csection. It's very stressful. And, if done without an epidural, apparently pretty painful (I had mine with the epidural). My current pregnancy was confirmed breech yesterday, so now we're waiting to hear a date for a RCS
  • My baby is also breech, and I'm not a good candidate or a version anyway. I have a c section scheduled, and yes  I'm getting  the weekly ultrasounds. My doctor said the day of my c section, I'll get one more ultrasound and if he happens to be head down they'll induce me.

laurenm2123 said:
    Are your OBs doing an ultrasound every week? My LO was breech until about 35 weeks and they said they would do an ultrasound every week to see if they flipped. He even said that the morning of my scheduled c-section they would do an ultrasound and if LO had flipped they would send me home and wait for me to go into labor naturally.

• @Amh+ekb thank you for posting your experience. I found out my little one today is frank breech and tomorrow I will be 38 weeks. I'm nervous as heck!!! 
  • I can definitely relate! Are you having an ECV? 
  • @Amh+ekb Yes, I am going to have it done. We have to be there at 10:30. I hope all goes well. I hope it doesn't hurt to terribly bad. I couldn't sleep due to the anxiety of it all. I know it is for the best. Just trying to stay positive. 

• @Amh+ekb Yes, I am going to have it done. We have to be there at 10:30. I hope all goes well. I hope it doesn't hurt to terribly bad. I couldn't sleep due to the anxiety of it all. I know it is for the best. Just trying to stay positive. 

Good luck!! Thinking about you! Let us know how it goes. 
  • I've seen it done once, when I was in nursing school. It honestly doesn't seem like the most pleasant thing to go through, but to quote the maternity nurses and OB "it's a lot less painful than a c-section"
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @Amh+ekb It went well! Very uncomfortable!!  Baby girl is doing good!! Waiting for them to discharge me now.  Thanks for kind words! Hopefully she will stay put!!
  • mar101483 said:
    I've seen it done once, when I was in nursing school. It honestly doesn't seem like the most pleasant thing to go through, but to quote the maternity nurses and OB "it's a lot less painful than a c-section"
    Lurking from July - I had an ECV that didn't work, they tried 3 or 4 times for about ten minutes to turn him but he kept flipping back so I ended up with a scheduled c-section. The ECV was WAY more painful than any part of the c-section or recovery. They kept telling me that it had the best chance of working if I just relaxed, then the doctor would dig her fingers in to my uterus and around the baby's head and pull. Not sure how anyone is supposed to relax in that situation. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • @Amh+ekb It went well! Very uncomfortable!!  Baby girl is doing good!! Waiting for them to discharge me now.  Thanks for kind words! Hopefully she will stay put!!
    So glad it went well!! It's definitely an uncomfortable situation but worth it if it works! Glad you and baby girl are doing well & good luck in these last few days! We're almost there! 
  • Hi there, I just had one done today and unfortunately it was not successful and I am now scheduled for a c section at 39 weeks. Honestly, it definetly hurts but I think if it works it would beat a c section. I don't regret doing it at all but I was surprised with how uncomfortable/painful it really was. However every case is different and the doc that attempted mine did not believe in an muscle relaxers so this may have added to my discomfort.

• @mprendiville sorry it didn't work. It is not the most pleasurable experience, but it's worth the attempt to avoid the c-section. Most important is getting your little bundle here safely! I wish you the best!!!