April 2016 Moms
Options

Tummy time = puke

Literally every time I try to give DS (6 weeks) some tummy time he throws up. It doesn't matter how long it has been since he's eaten. I waited almost 2 hours yesterday and he still threw up. He obviously gets upset so I have to pick him up/ till him over. He only lasts maybe 3 minutes on his belly. I'm worried that he'll get behind on his neck development. 
Anyone else have a puker? Any tips?

Re: Tummy time = puke

• Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor about it to be sure there's no underlying cause? 

You could just do modified tummy time by laying on a recliner, having him on your chest, and talking to him. He'll look at you and try to pick up his head and look around. It's not the same thing, but it's less stressful on the baby until he's able to handle some real tummy time. 

Mine doesn't do tummy time either. 30 seconds in and he's like "tummy time is nice" and decides it's the best position for napping... Even if he was wide awake a second ago. 
  • Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor about it to be sure there's no underlying cause? 

You could just do modified tummy time by laying on a recliner, having him on your chest, and talking to him. He'll look at you and try to pick up his head and look around. It's not the same thing, but it's less stressful on the baby until he's able to handle some real tummy time. 

Mine doesn't do tummy time either. 30 seconds in and he's like "tummy time is nice" and decides it's the best position for napping... Even if he was wide awake a second ago. 
    The ped wasn't concerned because he only does it at tummy time. He doesn't spit up at all after eating, so she doesn't think it's a reflux problem. The only advice I got from her was "he'll grow out of it. He's just straining his muscles". His head is huge so it's got to be heavy for him. My daughter LOVED tummy time. She would've lived on her play mat if we let her. This little dude is pretty much opposite of her in every way. I tried just having on my chest/boppy a few times, but he still throws up. Maybe I'll just have to wait until he grows into his head a little more. He does like holding his head up when I hold him up over my shoulder. Hopefully that is enough to strengthen his muscles in the meantime. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We don't really do tummy time either. DD pretty much hates being on her belly. She holds her head up really well though. She's always lifting up and looking around, so I don't worry about it too much.
  • Options
    kdrn913kdrn913 member
    We try to do tummy time a lot even though our LO spits up. She is just a spitter in general and our ped isn't concerned.