June 2016 Moms

What's everyone reading?

As we are all in our final days and weeks I was wondering what everyone was currently reading to pass the time?

Re: What's everyone reading?

• Tawny87Tawny87 member
    I just finished girl with the pearl earring and started gone girl today. I usually don't go for trendy books but gone girl seems really well written thus far.
  • I have finished the queen of the tearling
    a fun fantasy easy read 

I'm also reading 
    happiest baby on the block
    Glow - pregnancy stories 

and I'm going to start something else fictional soon. 

I have a queue of self development and business which are usually my go to but fiction is a great distraction. 

I'm considering cracking the lord of the rings (again :))
  • Loading the player...
  • meggymemeggyme member
    I recently finished re-reading all 7 Harry Potter books, so I'm taking a bit of a break before I start anything, but if I get bored waiting for LO to show up, I might start The Girl on the Train.

@Tawny87 I loved Gone Girl! Her other books are equally dark and twisted.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • @meggyme I re-read them too! I finished last month. And because I find talking to my belly strange, I would read them out loud to LO instead. Early training lol
  • The womanly art of breast feeding is my jam right now. Ignoring much of it and focusing on the practical aspects. :)
  • I loved Gone Girl. 
    Currently reading Girl on the Train.
  • The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I just started.  Have been told it's excellent and to read before the mini-series comes out. 

• I'm reading Star Wars: The Force Awakens, because I need more SW in my life (our nursery theme is SW too). Anywho, I'm thinking of rereading The Kingkiller Chronicle (well the first 2 books since the 3rd one isn't out yet). 
  • MistKeeperMistKeeper member
    edited May 2016
    @vintagevix86 I can't reread that trilogy until the third is actually out,  and I can have some satisfaction. I LOVE it, though. Wondering if I should read the novella Rothfuss put out about a year ago. Have you read it? 
  • I'm currently reading Mindy Kaling's newest book, and then will start on Lilac Girls.  I just read a kinda creepy mystery book before that (Butterfly Garden) and couldn't put it down. 
  • I just finished The Husband's Secret...it was recommended for those who enjoyed The Girl on the Train. I think I might try Luckiest Girl Alive next (similar recommendation) before baby arrives. 
    Me: 30 || DH: 32
    Married: May 3, 2014 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

SaveSave
  • crdocrdo member
    Working on Baby wise--recommended as magic by my cousins. Next up, probably Happiest Baby on the Block or What to Expect in the First Year.
  • I loved Gone Girl. 
    Loved both of these! 
    @DeePaddy24 how's is the husbands secret? 
  • edited May 2016
    @MistKeeper I totally understand and really hope that he doesn't pull a George RR Martin and take an extra long time to get the 3rd one out! I loved The Slow Regard of Silent Things, it was such a great read and insight into Auri's world. I enjoyed it so much so that I petitioned to name our possible-daughter Auri (we didn't know the gender at the time). 

Sidenote: We're having a boy, so we're saving Auri for the future.
  • I've been letting my inner teen-on-summer-break out recently. I just finished The Crown by Kiera Cass and H just finished up Rick Yancey's The Last Star last night, so I'll probably start that next. I should probably pick up something baby related, but my brain just keeps saying that is what my mom friends/my own mother/pediatrician/Google if I'm really desperate are for.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • I loved Gone Girl. 
    Loved both of these! 
    @DeePaddy24 how's is the husbands secret? 
    It was good. Slower than Gone Girl & Girl on the Train...but still filled with good twists! 
    Me: 30 || DH: 32
    Married: May 3, 2014 

SaveSave
  • alitriaalitria member
    Just started A Virtuous Death, which is the third book of the Lady of the Ashes series about a female Victorian undertaker, set in London.  Not too deep, but a fun read for my pregnant brain.  Downloaded War Brides this weekend too and when I'm done, I plan to plow through Grrrl of Limberlost, which is the first of a trilogy. 
  • I loooved The Dark Tower series. Can't wait for the mini series. 

I'm doing a reading challenge this year. Currently reading White Noise by Don DeLillo for the National Book Award winner category. I can't say I'd recommend it. Looking forward to reading the new Yancey book! And I really wish I was reading a new GRRM book...grumble.
    June 2016 April Siggy Challenge: Reasons my kid is crying

Pregnancy Ticker
  • On the last book of the Outlander series. I would highly recommend the series. 
  • rbfleirbflei member
    Kingkiller chronical books were amazing but if it frustrates you when an author takes years to get a book out hold off till the third is actually in post production because he is notorious for taking forever to get a book done. I love them but tortured by lack of new material.
  • I just started "Me Before You" as I like to read books before movies :) definitely a romance novel but so far it's good! I've read "Gone Girl" and "The Girl on the Train" and highly recommend them! I have "The Good Girl" waiting for me and I've heard good things about that on! Also, "Go Set a Watchman" by Harper Lee is on my list. 

For or baby I'm reading "The Wonder Weeks" and so far it's very interesting and informative!!
  • I just picked up Nicholas Sparks new book "See Me" at Target the other day. I like his sappy love stories. Lol. 
  • @Knottie1449069263, I was thinking of rereading the first two because I feel like I've forgotten a lot, need a refresher.  :)
  • rbfleirbflei member
    @Knottie1449069263, I was thinking of rereading the first two because I feel like I've forgotten a lot, need a refresher.  :)
    I could see that! For me with LO coming next week, I will be switching over to audiobooks so that means I will be starting over with the "Wheel of Time" series.
  • @Knottie1449069263, I really need to read that series! Someone bought me all the books and I have yet to crack them open.
  • Anything James Patterson and Nicholas Sparks, and I like Christian fiction (Lori Wick is my favorite)
  • @Knottie1442268460 @vintagevix86 Have you ladies read The Mistborn series by Brian Sanderson. I believe he's the author that was entrusted to finish Wheel of Time. Anyway,  Mistborn is very well done. I highly recommend it, and best of all, it's actually finished. 
  • @MistKeeper I haven't yet but it's on my reading list! My goal is to get through as many books on my list during mat leave as possible. No easy feat but I'm so behind on my reading!
  • I'm still working full-time, but I always read before bed. Agatha Christie's Masterpieces in Miniature. I love the hell out of some Agatha Christie!
    Me: 32, DH: 35
    Married to DH: 11-13-10
    DS #1: EDD: 9/25/12, Born 10-9-12
    DS #2: EDD: 6-19-16, Born 6-14-16
  • I loooved The Dark Tower series. Can't wait for the mini series. 

I'm doing a reading challenge this year. Currently reading White Noise by Don DeLillo for the National Book Award winner category. I can't say I'd recommend it. Looking forward to reading the new Yancey book! And I really wish I was reading a new GRRM book...grumble.
    Uuuuuuuuggggghhhh DeLillo... I'm sorry. 

@trythebleucheese I've been reading Agatha Christie too! I have a bunch of them I haven't touched since I was a kid, and they have been the perfect companions during my nonstress tests. 
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • rbfleirbflei member
    Yes I have actually read all of the mistborn series. They were excellent. I used to be able to say I had read all of his books but he is super prolyfic. I also really enjoy his kids books series Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians. Cute. But he has so may series that he is working on it is hard to keep up.
  • I'm gonna start reading some of Neil Gaiman's books. Neverworld will be my first I think. 
  • I'm gonna start reading some of Neil Gaiman's books. Neverworld will be my first I think. 
    He is pure magic.
  • Currently reading Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah, Three to get deadly by Janet Evanovich (soooo funny), listening to The time traveler's wife by Audrey Niffeneger. Just finished Shotgun Lovesongs by Nickolas Butler and finished listening to The Storied Life of AJ Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (These two were my favorite books that I've read so far this year!). About to start Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani, The Sound of Glass by Karen White, and Pride and Prescience by Carrie Bebris. I work at the library so I'm always reading at least three books at a time! :D  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers