December 2015 Moms
Options

sleeping change

So for the past few weeks our 5 month old won't stay asleep in his crib. He was sleeping in it regularly and thru the night then suddenly everytime I lay him in it he wakes right up. Longest he'll stay in it is 1 hr, I've tried to pick him up and once asleep lay him back down but he just wakes up. So we've been letting him sleep with us in bed where he sleeps great but we don't. Don't want to make this a habit that we can't break. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Re: sleeping change

• Options
    We actually have the same problem with him waking up as soon as we lay him down. Could he have gas? That is usually Mikey's problem. It usually takes a few times of rocking and putting him down to get him to stay asleep in his crib. I've also tried holding him close while putting him down really slowly (this is has worked all of 4 times). I feel like sleeping games are his favorite way to drive Mommy (and Grandma) crazy.
  • Options
    Mine was having this problem and I bought a magic sleep suit. It really helped. But between 6:30 (when she goes to bed) and 10:00pm she wakes up 5 times on average and needs to be rocked back to sleep. Then she would mostly sleep through...that was until teething started. Now our lives are a shit storm of doing whatever works for that night. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were just going through the same thing.. We got the Magic sleep suit. And he was still sleeping horrible until I figured out he was to hot. I ditched the footed sleeper and either just let him sleep in the diaper and socks under the magic sleep suit or a short sleeve onsie and socks. Now he is sleeping 6-7 hours eats and another 4-5 hours. 
  • Options
    He is a gassy baby and his farts have woken him up at times but he lays down in our bed and sleeps really well. I think its knowing I'm right there because if he wakes up and I'm not he flips out. Don't know what magc suit is but he hated being swaddled so doubt that would work. I do dress him according to the temp in his room, he sleeps so good in my arms but soon as I lay him on that mattress his eyes open and he turns over. He doesn't wake for a feeding and when he wakes up I give him wubanub and pick him up and rock him he goes right back to sleep.
  • Options
    We use a zipadeezip which helps a lot.  I put him in it, rock for a few minutes, lay him down awake and turn his crib soother on.  The crib soother is really useful too!  I've heard him turn it on in the middle of the night to soothe back to sleep.  Usually he'll watch the crib soother for 10 or so minutes and talk a little to it and then fall asleep. 
  • Options
    I'd suggest the Merlin or ZipadeeZip. I just ordered 2 Zippadee's, because the Merlin is starting to fit a little snug on him, I'm guessing we only have 3-4 more weeks with it. We've washed it and had to put it in the dryer on a couple of occasions because it was still wet and we knew it was the only thing that would help LO to sleep, so it has shrunk a bit.  Plus, the Zippadee accommodates for when they begin rolling over, and you have to stop using the Merlin once they can roll over in it. 
  • Options
    The thing about babies this age is they become so aware, so if they fall asleep in your arms, then wake an hour later they can't fall back asleep because they know that they fell asleep elsewhere. It's definetly an awake but drowsy time when putting down after 4 months. Hence the "sleep regression" which is actually just massive cognitive development, which is why they can't sleep well anymore if you use "props" aka rocking. Unless you are happy to rock at every awakening, then that can be done, or nursing. I let my LO out of the swaddle, she literally started rolling the next week, and now sleeps on her tummy, and rolls to her tummy when I put her down, which appears to help soothe her to sleep. Also she now sucks on her fingers, which helps!
  • Options
    I feared the whole, "Stop rocking, unless you want to be rocking a 2 year old to sleep" thing.  I rock Griffin every night before bed.  Never until he is fully asleep, but to get him to the drowsy point.  Every time he wakes, I've never once had to pick him back up and rock him, to get him back down.  We rock during feedings too, so maybe he doesn't necessarily associate rocking with just for sleeping purposes.  I have lucked out big time, in the sense that I haven't had to continue doing it through the night.

I am also glad I never was one to hold him while he slept.  Pretty much every time he dozed off or was getting to the point, we put him in the bassinet or in his crib. He didn't like falling asleep on people's chests either. He's done it maybe 2-3 times since birth. 
  • Options
    @teachmegs817 my daughter never slept on chests either, I guess some babies don't like it!
  • Options
    Kinda sleeping change here, kinda not. Used to just fuss a bit when we first laid her down at night. Possibly some crying but only a few minutes. The past 2 weeks and seems to be getting worse, she SCREAMS on and off for an hour or more. Then sleeps through after that. We haven't changed anything. She did get 2 teeth but they are all the way through now. I try not to pick her up after she is down for the night either; and it's broken up crying spells so never long enough to really go in at intervals. Hard to hear! 
  • Options
    My LO is going off of adjusted age, however, many of our LO's are going to be entering the 5th Leap pretty soon. In that leap it talks about sleeping less, sleeping worse, and eating less, as one of the signs. Yikes! I sure hope it doesn't do a doozy on us. It's another 4 week long leap too. 
  • Options
    Ajis91Ajis91 member
    This happened to my 4 month old, she would settle no problem and sleep through then suddenly couldn't settle herself and took her ages to get to a deep sleep. My health visitor told me between 4 and 6 months babies can go through a sleep regression, during this time they have big development leaps, and start to have sleep patterns like an adult (REM sleep I think it's called?) If I was sure she wasn't hungry, windy etc I wouldn't pick her up but kept putting her dummy back in and giving her her sooky and making sure I was keeping quiet so she knew it was night time and time for sleep. After a week and a half she managed to settle herself again.  X
  • Options
    Ajis91Ajis91 member
    Download the wonder weeks app or buy the book it can be helpful x
  • Options
    There's usually something that can explain a chance in sleep patterns. Baby may be going through a development, growth spurt, etc. DD was a great sleeper and then started waking up 2-3x a night. Lo and behold she was teething and we had no idea until we could feel the first one!