October 2016 Moms
Options

Anyone else getting a weekly Progesterone Shot?

I just got my first shot this morning.  My hip is burning so badly.  I don't remember that happening during my last pregnancy after the shots.  The nurse said it was normal. 

Does anyone else have horrible burning after your shot?  how long does it last?

Married 08/18/07
BFP 02/15/11 EDD 10/27/11 Born at 35w3d on 09/25/11 
BFP 10/13/12 EDD 06/25/13 Born at 37w0d on 06/04/13

BFP 12/11/15 EDD 08/23/16 Early miscarriage

BFP 02/02/16 EDD 10/16/16

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Anyone else getting a weekly Progesterone Shot?

• Options
    nlane0723nlane0723 member
    edited April 2016
    I start mine next week, but I was on them daily from retrieval until week 10. It gets better.

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • Options
    I'm supposed to start tomorrow and will be doing them myself (insurance is giving us a problem with paying) mine never burned after. Some stinging when going in. I also hold an ice pack on the area so I feel less. Are you receiving the Makena injections? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mtgreen21 said:
    I'm supposed to start tomorrow and will be doing them myself (insurance is giving us a problem with paying) mine never burned after. Some stinging when going in. I also hold an ice pack on the area so I feel less. Are you receiving the Makena injections? 

Are you giving them to yourself in your hip?  The nurse said I could do it or I could get DH to do it (but he won't).  I was scared I would do it wrong somehow though.

I am not sure what the name of it is...I just know it is the 17P shot. 

Married 08/18/07
    BFP 02/15/11 EDD 10/27/11 Born at 35w3d on 09/25/11 
    BFP 10/13/12 EDD 06/25/13 Born at 37w0d on 06/04/13

BFP 12/11/15 EDD 08/23/16 Early miscarriage

BFP 02/02/16 EDD 10/16/16

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I got daily Progesterone In Oil shots after egg transfer all the way up through first trimester. Not sure if its the same thing, but mine never burned. Just sometimes sore from the large needle. I was also on Heparin and that is the only injection I had that actually burned.

Married 5.21.2011

TTC Since October 2012

Me: 36, all normal, DH: 43, MFI

IUI #1 & #2 - Sept & Oct 2014, BFN

IVF with ICSI #1 January 2015 - BFP, M/C Feb 2015

FET June 2015 = CP

IVF #2 September 2015 - Discovered during ER I had ovulated early, 0 retrieved

IVF with ICSI #3 January 2016 - BFP! Beta #1 - 839, Beta #2 - 3,192, Beta #3 - 15,000+ = TWINS!

EDD 10/12/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mtgreen21mtgreen21 member
    edited April 2016
    My SO will do them for me in my hip when he is home otherwise I will do them myself using a mirror. We did them when I was at surrogate and got pretty good at them. My SO was nervous at first but it helped that I laid over the dining room table and gave him plenty of area to choose from.
  • Options
    My husband gives me the shot twice weekly.  For me, it has helped to warm up the serum in my armpit or bra before he gives it to me.  It's pretty thick, so when it goes in it's harder on the muscle it's being injected into.  I also use a heating pad and massage the spot afterward and try to stretch a bit too.  
  • Options
    I just got my first last week - butt feels bruised, but not burning.  Also, yes! I am also having issues with my health insurance about coverage.  :(
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited May 2016
    I had to do PIO shots daily after my embryo transfer. I had some that burned SO badly.... like, made DH stop giving the injection, change the needle and finish in a new location. I found that this happened only sporadically. If it happens again, try the above because I found that if I changed the location mid-way through, the after effects of the burning wasn't as bad. Also, even though I typically put a heating pad on the area after an injection, I would put ice on if the burning was too bad. Sorry you're going through this!

That said, from my IV pharmacy experience, what COULD be the cause is that there was just a higher concentration of progesterone to oil in the dose you drew up. Sometimes, meds are mixed in certain concentrations or with certain diluents because of the effect the medication has when injected (whether IV or IM). Maybe try swirling (not shaking to avoid bubbles) the vial a little before drawing it up to help with this? 

ETA: I'm not a pharmacist and didn't work with PIO in my pharmacy days... the above is speculation based on experience. You can always call to ask your pharmacist about it. It might not be the first time they've heard of it happening and can give you some guidance.
  • Options
    I started 2 weeks ago. Mine burn for a little while immediately afterward and then i just have muscle soreness/bruised feeling for a few days after. I am taking Makena and i get it in the upper butt/lower back area.
    -=- Tara -=-

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    Tara0604 said:
    I started 2 weeks ago. Mine burn for a little while immediately afterward and then i just have muscle soreness/bruised feeling for a few days after. I am taking Makena and i get it in the upper butt/lower back area.
    Try your hip area. The location you give it is center of your hip (where a typical pants seam would fall) and then right in the middle between where the top of your hip bone is and where your leg bends at the top of your thigh.

It seems like you would definitely hit bone there (that's what we were worried about) but my RN assured me that it's a huge muscle and now the preferred location for IM injections. I had MUCH fewer issues giving my injections there (there are fewer nerves so it hurt less too). I probably wouldn't have tried it but with having to give them daily after my FET, it helped to have as many sites as possible so we gave it a go. SO glad we did, definitely the best spot.

Here's a diagram to help. It makes it look like only that one little spot will work but we were all over the place in that hip area with no issues at all. Just keep within the area I mentioned above and you're golden :)

• Options
    bnsmith85 said:
    Tara0604 said:
    Try your hip area. The location you give it is center of your hip (where a typical pants seam would fall) and then right in the middle between where the top of your hip bone is and where your leg bends at the top of your thigh.

It seems like you would definitely hit bone there (that's what we were worried about) but my RN assured me that it's a huge muscle and now the preferred location for IM injections. I had MUCH fewer issues giving my injections there (there are fewer nerves so it hurt less too). I probably wouldn't have tried it but with having to give them daily after my FET, it helped to have as many sites as possible so we gave it a go. SO glad we did, definitely the best spot.

Here's a diagram to help. It makes it look like only that one little spot will work but we were all over the place in that hip area with no issues at all. Just keep within the area I mentioned above and you're golden :)

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely try that with the next one. (and thanks for the picture!)
    -=- Tara -=-

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    I heat afterward, and massage.  It definitely helps!