June 2016 Moms
Options

Contractions

So I'm 37+5 weeks, having contractions since 36 weeks. Found out they're serious contractions. Not BH, and most of the time they're less than 5 mins apart. I've been checked at 3cm at 36w, 3-4cm at 36+5w, and 5-6cm last night. Last night we walked nearly 5 miles to push labor along but I stalled at 5.5cm. I'm so frustrated! I'm technically in active labor because of how dilated I am. I can't get labor to progress, even with all the walking and contractions being 3 mins apart. I've been sent home with a muscle relaxer to try to calm the contractions but I'm just trying to be patient with waiting. Twice now in a week, my midwife has not expected me to stay pregnant, but they won't push me along. I'm to the point of not being able to care for my two year old but not adding in another munchkin. Help me!!!

Re: Contractions

• Options
    Ugh I'm sorry you're going through this.  It sucks I'm sure but I say keep walking but don't exhaust yourself.  Maybe try the labor ball when you sit and hang out on all fours to encourage the baby to move if you want things to progress.  If you want them to stay in longer then just lay down and try and sleep alot.
  • Options
    DSTtots4lyfeDSTtots4lyfe member
    edited May 2016
    I can't help in the sense of making progress, but maybe try laying down and relaxing after a nice bath with your spouse or someone massaging your muscles between contractions. Sometimes a nap, even a broken one, can help things along and since you're early, maybe that or something more will be needed. Sorry it's such a long process. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with taking a nice warm bath, and then trying to relax and rest. When I was in early labor with my first two I took two Tylenol PM to help me sleep. Sometimes your body has to relax so it can dilate.  Also trying the yoga ball when you're sitting, and walking when you're able.  Is there someone who can help with your two year old? I'm sorry things are taking a long time. Good luck. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Your body may be taking a break because it needs something--- I'd try hydration and rest :) Take a bath, eat and drink, listen to music, wrap up nice and cozy, and try to take a good nap. Your labor will likely progress much more easily if you are relaxed and well-rested.

Prodromal labor is mentally and physically exhausting, and I'm so sorry. Keep us updated!
    Happily married since 2009
    Roo, 8y
    Birdie, 4y
    Jem, 3y
    Vee, 1y
    Baby Bee DUE April 2018