Health & Exercise

Numbing hands, wrist and arms.... Tingling and pain

Hi I was curious if anyone is having the carpel tunnel pregnancy syndrome. I started about 2 weeks ago(I'm 32 weeks pregnant) but it has worsened to the point of not sleeping and having problems with doing things at home. Is there anything that has helped you all get through the day?

Re: Numbing hands, wrist and arms.... Tingling and pain

• I had this and slept with a wrist brace, which seemed to help. You can find them at Target or a similar store now. Good luck - I know how much it stinks.
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • I had it in 3rd tri as well, I slept with braces on both hands, but then it got to the point that I had to wear braces at work most of the day as well.  But the braces definitely did help....  and it went away about a month after my DS was born.  
    DD 7/10
    MC 3/12
    MC 7/12
    DS 7/13
    BFP #5 - EDD 3/25/16
  • Loading the player...
  • Had this very bad as well.  Lasted for me quite a few months post pregnancy but that is not as common.  I started with just braces and taping but then invested in cold wraps and blood flow stimulator wraps.  The inflammation building up in the carpal tunnel is hormonal and will go away but the cold really helps manage day to day.  Then by stimulating the blood through you will notice a huge difference in the numbing and tingling once you get better circulation.  Look into their web site. Not sure if you want to invest in something you know will most likely go away over time but I still had to work at a desk all day and really helped me through.  Once I had my DS some days were so frustrating in struggling to change him or do up the buttons on his sleeper.  Some days were better then others and I haven't had a flare up in months.  Heres hoping it is gone and will not be back for pregnancy #2.  Good luck and hope you find something that works.
    https://www.kingbrand.com/Carpal_Tunnel_Syndrome_Treatment.php?REF=34PV90.280
  • xuxachi said:

I had this and slept with a wrist brace, which seemed to help. You can find them at Target or a similar store now. Good luck - I know how much it stinks.

Thanks and my husband went and got some for me. They have helped a bit.
  • A+BinNYC said:

I had it in 3rd tri as well, I slept with braces on both hands, but then it got to the point that I had to wear braces at work most of the day as well.  But the braces definitely did help....  and it went away about a month after my DS was born.  

Thank you and that's good to hear, hope it doesn't take me long after delivery because I have to babies to carry around and take care of.
  • Devley526 said:

Had this very bad as well.  Lasted for me quite a few months post pregnancy but that is not as common.  I started with just braces and taping but then invested in cold wraps and blood flow stimulator wraps.  The inflammation building up in the carpal tunnel is hormonal and will go away but the cold really helps manage day to day.  Then by stimulating the blood through you will notice a huge difference in the numbing and tingling once you get better circulation.  Look into their web site. Not sure if you want to invest in something you know will most likely go away over time but I still had to work at a desk all day and really helped me through.  Once I had my DS some days were so frustrating in struggling to change him or do up the buttons on his sleeper.  Some days were better then others and I haven't had a flare up in months.  Heres hoping it is gone and will not be back for pregnancy #2.  Good luck and hope you find something that works.
    https://www.kingbrand.com/Carpal_Tunnel_Syndrome_Treatment.php?REF=34PV90.280

Good to hear it has gotten better and thanks for the advice... I actually bought the braces but there are moments that I feel more swollen wearing them. And I was also using arthritis patches, they helped me get sleep at night sometimes. And hope you don't experience this with your next pregnancies, this is my 3rd and I had never felt this way. I guess how they say every pregnancy is different.
  • Don't use the warming one if you ever feel swelling. Always go back to cold.  Takes some getting used to but quite the life saver for me.  I still periodically use them...most recently the cold for a bump on DS's head. Since from the fridge, completely safe.