October 2016 Moms

Moms of Multiples 5/23

Good morning, mamas! Let's hear about those little cuties :)

1. How far along, and how many babies?

2. Next milestone?

3. Rants/Raves/Positives?

4. Question of the week: Do you have any nicknames (or actual names) that you refer to your babies by?

Re: Moms of Multiples 5/23

• 1. How far along, and how many babies?

20+6, twin boys

2. Next milestone?

"Viability day" is only a few weeks away. Also looked at the calendar and realized that my "safe zone" mark (which I'm considering 32 weeks) falls on my birthday!

My husband is traveling for work again, so he is gone for 15 days, which included our 5-year wedding anniversary this weekend. Also we discovered a major pipe leak in our attic (discovered via a dripping wall in my son's nursery!!) which is going to cost us ~$2,000 out of pocket. Boo. On the positive side, these babies are playing and wiggling all day long now!

4. Question of the week: Do you have any nicknames (or actual names) that you refer to your babies by?

We're still undecided on actual names, but have been referring to them as "The Beans" or "Two Beans" since we learned there were twins. I think it was easier than talking about two babies ;)
  • lmno304lmno304 member

18w4d di di twins

2. Next milestone?
    Viability I guess? We already know it's a girl and a boy, so the next step is just cooking them long enough! 

I have developed a rash this past week on my hands and feet which is painful and itchy. I literally woke up in the middle of the night it was so bad! And Dr Google has officially scared the crap out of me that it's a sign of cholestasis of pregnancy so I'm waiting to hear back from my REAL doc. Also I should be getting the results from my 3hr glucose test tomorrow so... that's great i guess.

We've been calling them the duckies or ducklings since day one, but after finding out genders on the 11th, we're transitioning to Daisy and Peter, their names!

Just a question about baby sizes... I know last week we talked about fundal height, but how are your babies measuring? Mine are both measuring on the small side, a few days behind, but my girl was about 20% smaller than my boy. My MFM dr said she's in range still, just a concern about why she isn't growing at the same rate as him. Any insights?
  • Loading the player...
  • @lmno304 Sorry about your rash :-/ Hope it clears up quickly or you find something that helps the itch!

About baby size, my boys measured right on track at my last appt. I was 18+1, Baby A measured 18 and Baby B measured 18+2. Maybe yours measure further apart because they are a girl and a boy? I know it is normal for boys to be a little bigger at birth.
  • @lmno304 my grandmother is a neonatal/delivery nurse at the hospital and it was my understanding that girls are usually a little bigger than boys at birth. I would give it time though, as I'm sure it can change. There are probably a lot of factors that go into how they are measuring and they will probably fluctuate a little throughout pregnancy. If your doctor or MFM isn't worried, I wouldn't be either. :) I haven't seen the MFM yet for ours, but they will be doing my anatomy scan in hopefully the next two weeks. I hope your rash eases up. I know that it's easy to freak out over absolutely everything (at least it has been for me). 

18w2d - twins (di di)

2. Next milestone?
    The anatomy scan! I am so ready to see them again. We had an elective sex scan 3 weeks ago and it feels like forever. I want to see how much they've grown, and know that they are healthy and growing okay. Just waiting on a call from the MFM to schedule it. 

I  finally feeling the little ones move once or twice a day. Usually only if I've had some sugar, though. It makes me so stinkin' happy. On the negative side - I am getting zero sleep. I have not been able to stay comfortable and I wake up several times to pee. I feel so huge already and am having a lot of problems with the belly getting in the way. 

The girls, little ladies, nuggets, and now - Cora and Carlisle. We announced their names so that we would stop going back and forth on them. We always went back to Cora and Carlisle (Carli), regardless of whatever other names we thought of. Now it's just set in and stone! 

• @sjo&thetwins that is smart to just announce so you can stop thinking about it! On the one hand, I feel like that would help us just decide, but on the other hand I kind of want to keep something a surprise for our friends and family.
  • nlane0723nlane0723 member
    edited May 2016
    20+3; twin boys.

2. Next milestone?
    Second A/S next Friday and then V-Day!

Rant - we cannot agree on middle names.
    Rave - they move all day long.  Like kept waking me up last night.  I love it.

Twinks and nuggets.  Harper calls them "brudders."

ETA:  Real names are Jack and Beckham.

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
    20w,1d boy girl

2. Next milestone?
    Viability

Stupid gestational diabetes.  I'm probably looking at oral meds or injections in my near future.  The perinatal group says it looks fine, but they haven't seen today's numbers.  I was on insulin with DS.

Not pregnancy related, but I've been training a coworker's replacement (there's only 2 of us in my department) since March, and it's slow going.  It makes me nervous for when I go out on maternity leave, because everything will be on her, and she's not even close to being able to handle everything on her on. 

Yes, we are using shortened versions of both their names.  They are all family names, but I'm kind of not 100% comfortable with the boy's name just because my husband's first cousin used a similar name for her son.  We only see them twice a year though, and my son's already calling his little brother that, so it'll probably continue to be just that.

@lmno304 It's not hand foot and mouth I hope!?  I caught that a few years ago from my son, who caught it from his daycare.  It was terrible having it as an adult.  I hope your rash clears soon.

Also, one of mine, I assume the girl, is measuring smaller than the boy.  The MFM didn't act worried about it.  They are both measuring a few days small, but I'm kind of short and so is hubby.  DS was 7 lbs, 1 oz with me having GD diagnosed early at 13 wks.  He still measures small compared to his classmates.

19w 5d twins

2. Next milestone?

gender reveal on 6/4

I have had issues with blackouts this week. Its happened 3 times, each time was in the morning and I had been walking. So I am not sure if I was just dehydrated or tired from walking.

most of the time we refer to them as the monkeys, but my husband also named them Jimmy Buffett & Mr. Utley back when we did our embryo transfer

Married 5.21.2011

TTC Since October 2012

Me: 36, all normal, DH: 43, MFI

IUI #1 & #2 - Sept & Oct 2014, BFN

IVF with ICSI #1 January 2015 - BFP, M/C Feb 2015

FET June 2015 = CP

IVF #2 September 2015 - Discovered during ER I had ovulated early, 0 retrieved

IVF with ICSI #3 January 2016 - BFP! Beta #1 - 839, Beta #2 - 3,192, Beta #3 - 15,000+ = TWINS!

EDD 10/12/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kmvisioli we celebrated our 5 year anniversary this weekend as well! Happy anniversary to you :)

Married 5.21.2011

TTC Since October 2012

FET June 2015 = CP

IVF with ICSI #3 January 2016 - BFP! Beta #1 - 839, Beta #2 - 3,192, Beta #3 - 15,000+ = TWINS!

EDD 10/12/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks @GoBucksOH! Happy anniversary to you, too
  • lmno304lmno304 member
    @JessK1014 i really don't think its hand foot and mouth, no sores or itching in or around my mouth at all. I'm really starting to worry it's an early symptom of cholestasis. I'm trying so hard not to stress out about it, especially since i don't know what it is. But I literally woke up at 1am last night the itching was so bad! It's spreading to the soles of my feet and the edges of the soles. The skin is thick but very sensitive. It really sucks all around! I emailed my doctor about it and haven't heard anything, so I guess I'll just wait for my appointment on friday

20w6d with twin boys

2. Next milestone?

I am also looking forward to viability day!

I've been feeling pretty good lately. No aches and pains and sleeping well. I even have had less nausea the past few days! I did just experience my first pregnancy cold, which was no fun. I'm starting to feel like I'm being over monitored. Too many doctor's appointments and ultrasounds already.

4. Nicknames/names?

We have started a list of names, but have not decided on anything yet. We call the babies for now either "the babies", "baby A and baby B", or my favorite "Jos-A" (pronounced like José) and "Jos-B" (also pronounced like José but with a B instead of an A sound). My dad gets the credit for that one. :) Totally cracks me up!

• @lmno304  my boy is measuring larger than my girl as well and MFM wasn't worried.  The U.S. Tech showed us a bell curve and said they won't worry about size too much until later on

@gobucksoh    That sounds terrifying!  Have you talked to your Dr at all?  I have gotten lightheaded when I'm dehydrated but no black outs .. 

. How far along, and how many babies?
    21 weeks 3 days- didi boy & girl 

2. Next milestone?
    Viability as well.  I'm glad it's getting so close!
    rant... I've been lacking sleep do to peeing all night (sounds like we are in a similar boat @sjo&thetwins  )

The other night I got up every hour on the hour.  Someone told me it's good practice but I'd rather just get more sleep lol 

We don't have any super fun nicknames.  Usually we just refer to them as the babies - I know so original
    ;)

question for the group- has anyone started interviewing pediatricians yet?  I got a few recomendations from my Obyn- they are at 2 different practices but both are 1 mile from my house and connected to the hospital which I like.  When do you recommend looking for those that have or for those of you that already have little ones when did you decide last time? Thanks:)
  • @girvin21 I've read that part of why it's actually a good thing your body is waking you up often now is that otherwise the sudden lack of sleep would literally turn you into a crazy person ;) I'm also a zombie up peeing all night, or tossing and turning to get comfy, but I try to remind myself it's good preparation.

As for peds, I think last time I interviewed around 8months pregnant. Since we probably won't make it all the way to 40 weeks, I'd probably aim to interview around 27-28 weeks just in case you are really early or put on bed rest. 
  • @girvin21- We had an appt with the OB yesterday and I told him about my recent bout with blackouts. He was not concerned, but just said to be careful and as soon as I feel it coming on I need to SIT! He said its most likely due to the constricting blood vessels and it will get better over the next few weeks, and of course to stay super hydrated.

Married 5.21.2011

TTC Since October 2012

FET June 2015 = CP

EDD 10/12/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @GoBucksOH glad you were able to talk to your doc and he was reassuring! I had that a couple of times my last pregnancy- it is scary! I noticed it was more likely to happen if I suddenly ate a bunch (esp anything sugary) on an empty stomach - that included things like Starbucks drinks. Hope they ease up!
  • @girvin21 I live in a rural area, so there are very few choices for us.  We drive 40 minutes to get to our pediatrician's office, there were several nearby, but we liked that they had night and weekend hours at their sister locations which are also available to us.  I've been very well pleased, and they've saved us a trip to the ER when DS (3) fell and cut his forehead a month ago.

• @GoBucksOH I had near fainting spells with my first pregnancy when reclining.  The Dr. said mine was where the weight and pressure of the baby/uterus was pressing on my vena cava.  I've been alert to it this pregnancy, and have avoided it so far.  I'm sure it will become more of an issue for me as these babies get bigger.  I'm going to have to get hubby to build a pillow fort around me at night to keep me from rolling onto my back.  My snoogle and wedge combo isn't working anymore.  It could also be that DS keeps stealing my snoogle from me.  :)
  • Hey guys, I have a lengthy question here and could really use some advice. 

we are still unhappy with our OB. we have yet to have any scans with her, she takes 10 second Doppler listens, and is very hands off. We weren't offered an NT scan or anything, either.  I am 18.5 weeks and still do not have an anatomy scan scheduled OR the MFM appointment scheduled. Is it worth it to start all over as a new patient elsewhere? Even if it delays any potential MFM appointments or scans? I really am at a loss of what to do here. 
  • @sjo&thetwins  as much as I complain about being over monitored, it really is reassuring that my doctors are taking all the precautions. I had the NT scan at 12 weeks, the anatomy scan at 18 weeks, as well as ultrasounds every two weeks to check my cervix length. I have also had many additional ultrasounds, but that was mostly due to bleeding earlier in my pregnancy. I feel like a lot of this is unnecessary, but at least I know the doctors are on top it. If you aren't comfortable, maybe you should set up an appointment at another practice to get a second opinion. These are your babies and you have a right to get the best care possible. I know every situation is different, but I hope hearing about my situation helps? Good luck!  
  • @sjo&thetwins  I agree with @eowens95.  I'd set something up as a second opinion. 
  • kmvisiolikmvisioli member
    edited May 2016
    Thirding the idea of getting a second opinion, @sjo&thetwins.

My OB falls somewhere in the middle, where I will start being more closely monitored starting around 24-28 weeks, but I haven't had much extra care or precautions up to this point. I like that it's a practical approach and not overly cautious, but stays on top of the third trimester more carefully.
  • Thank you ladies. Let me add, she said I would be more closely monitored once we got between 24-28 weeks as well, and the MFM should be calling me back within the next day or two for an appointment. I just feel neglected but ONLY due to what's in my head about how it should be. I've never been pregnant before. 
  • Ah, I see. Honestly, with my first (single baby) my dr was pretty laid back and hands off the entire time. I think more attention at the end is typical and what you should expect with multiples. The thing that would bother me is if your dr is making you feel bad for asking questions or not taking any time to actually listen and respond to you- you want someone who is on your team and actually paying attention to you, especially at delivery.
  • @sjo&thetwins .   I also agree with a second opinion because I don't think it would hurt!  It would bother me if my dr kept discounting any concerns I have  
  • Just because I'm curious: anyone bought anything they are really excited about yet?? The fabric I ordered to kick of the nursery arrived this week! Other than that all I've bought so far is a diaper genie elite for $10 off the local Beg, Barter, Sell page haha.
  • Fitted Crib Sheet for Emma BabyToddler Bedding by Sweet Jojo Designs - Floral Print - Click to enlargeFitted Crib Sheet for Earth and Sky BabyToddler Bedding by Sweet Jojo Designs - Arrows Print - Click to enlarge

These are my crib sheets to go with gray cribs, white walls, hardwood floors, and a gray and white rug.  We're having my son's changing table painted and distressed a deep turquoise to coordinate.  I'll do pops of turquoise/aqua for our boy and pops of coral for our girl.

Striped Fabric Bin Small Aqua - PillowfortStriped Fabric Bin Small Coral - Pillowfort

• Hey guys, I have a lengthy question here and could really use some advice. 

we are still unhappy with our OB. we have yet to have any scans with her, she takes 10 second Doppler listens, and is very hands off. We weren't offered an NT scan or anything, either.  I am 18.5 weeks and still do not have an anatomy scan scheduled OR the MFM appointment scheduled. Is it worth it to start all over as a new patient elsewhere? Even if it delays any potential MFM appointments or scans? I really am at a loss of what to do here. 

Lurking on this thread b/c I have twins I love!

YES change! You should be comfortable with who is delivering your babies. It is a complicated enough situation when you have 100% trust.   :)

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• @nlane0723 saw your u/s post that one may actually be a girl!? Hope they are able to give you a definite answer next time! They are so sweet head to head like that.
  •  @kmvisioli Where online did you order your fabric from? I've made boppy covers so far from flannel/minky fabric I found at Joanns but I would like to make crib skirts and haven't found anything I love yet.  I really like what you've chosen- so cute!!

@JessK1014
       great choices for boy/girl. I love the arrows!!

We have grey walls as well but I haven't decided for sure on our accent colors. we are basing it around the wall art below that I made
  • @girvin21 this was from spoonflower.com. I also have used fabric.com in the past. Good luck!
  • @girvin21 That's so neat, I've got some printables picked out on Etsy very similar to your artwork!  Arrows, antlers, dreamcatchers, & feathers.