November 2015 Moms
Options

Side sleeping

My LO is a dedicated side-sleeper, which I am fine with since she can easily flip from stomach to back if she was to roll all the way over.

The problem lately has been that between her sleep cycles at night she tends to stretch and that action rolls her onto her back. She then tries to roll herself onto her side again. Sometimes she succeeds and goes right back to sleep. But often she can't get back onto her side or her flailing in an attempt to get onto her side lands her head in a weird/uncomfortable position wedged against the side of the crib.  Last night every 45 minutes she would begin fussing trying to roll onto her side. She never opened her eyes but I had to go in and help  her roll to her side before she would settle back down. I did try letting her figure it out on her own once for 10 minutes she flailed and tried to get back onto her side but she woke up fully in the process so then she proceeded to get really upset.

I know bumps to keep babies on their side are not recommended but I don't know what to do. She can sleep hours on end (8+) if she manages to stay on her side. Any recommendations or advice? She has no medical problems and is not in pain, nor is she hungry (I offered her the breast a few times but she was not interested) I am convinced its just a positional issue!

Re: Side sleeping

• Options
    This really sounds like something that some time and letting her figure out will solve.  My little one did this for a bit, but as she has become more mobile it stopped being an issue.  I would let Bridget fuss and toss and turn as long as she needed to to solve the issue.  If she began crying, I would go in and check to see if she needed something like diaper change or food and if not I popped a pacifier in and put her back into the crib.  She usually settled down after a bit of fussing.  (Not crying.  I'm not a fan of Ferber/CIO methods.)  
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    I talked to my pediatrician about a crib wedge and she was okay with it. Maybe you could see if your pedi has any advice? 

Sorry you had a rough night! :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When DS goes to his side to sleep, I pull his butt back a little bit so he has less of a chance to fall back. I also make sure his top leg is crossed over his bottom leg if that makes sense. 
  • Options
    smnewbysmnewby member
    @missphil   Thank you that makes sense!