November 2016 Moms
Options

I never realized before I was pregnant...

MrsMaryK2016MrsMaryK2016 member
edited May 2016 in November 2016 Moms
What are you realizing or learning about yourself now that you're pregnant?

I'll go first. I never realized before I was pregnant how often I use my stomach as leverage to open something or balance something. Now that I've got this new bump I'm finding it gets in the way all the time!

Re: I never realized before I was pregnant...

• Options
    I didn't realize it's infinitely harder to wipe now. I can't bend over as far as I used to.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Chcaggie1 said:
    I remembmer being shocked at how much I truly use my ab muscles! Later on in the pregnancy many things become more challenging because your core muscles are gone (or mine were). For example getting out of bed... I kinda had to roll out of bed b/c I couldn't just sit straight up!
    I already have to roll out of bed. I feel like someone is sitting on my stomach when I try to sit up "sit-up" style. It doesn't so much hurt but it's definitely not happening.
  • Options
    I never realized how truly awful morning sickness could be. I thought "sure, it'll probably suck and I will maybe throw up sometimes". It was so much worse than I anticipated. I miss enjoying eating, brushing my teeth without throwing up and waking up not feeling like I have the worst hangover of my life every day. 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    leighryleighry member
    I didn't realize how hard it would be to eat healthy. I always have liked healthy food, but didn't want any of it during first trimester. I thought for sure my diet would be cleaner than ever! 
    Yes! I ate so healthy before and like the first ... 5 weeks? The last 9 weeks have been a disaster. All I want is pizza and pasta and breakfast sandwiches. I'm fully prepared for the "... let's try and even out your diet" talk at my appt tomorrow. Ugh.
  • Options
    whaatwhaat member
    @leighry lmao! But really I'm ashamed. I guess I was confused when I learned about it as a kid and then I never thought about it again? 
  • Options
    Lol!! I'm still not positive where the hell baby is and what's in there with it. And where the hell are all my organs going? And why do I feel so fat all the time. My stomach hurts because it's growing. Like I feel like i don't want to eat because my stomach constantly feels like I ate too much. 
  • Options
    ficbotficbot member
    How hard it is to get up off the floor. I am a teacher and sit on the floor a lot. So hard to get up now.

Also, I had 14ish weeks of gagging every time I drank water. Now, I am super-thirsty all the time. I drank probably 15 cups of water today. And I am still peeing and stuff, but not 15 cups worth. So...where did it all go, baby? What did you do with all that water in there? :-)
  • Options
    leighry said:
    I didn't realize how hard it would be to eat healthy. I always have liked healthy food, but didn't want any of it during first trimester. I thought for sure my diet would be cleaner than ever! 
    Yes! I ate so healthy before and like the first ... 5 weeks? The last 9 weeks have been a disaster. All I want is pizza and pasta and breakfast sandwiches. I'm fully prepared for the "... let's try and even out your diet" talk at my appt tomorrow. Ugh.
    I agree! I was eating pretty well for about a year beforehand and now... Nope! My poor husband doesn't get my change. I really wanted chef Boyardee ravioli and he searched every restaurant in the town looking for a place that made hand made pasta instead. It wasn't the same.
  • Options
    Before I got pregnant, I almost always felt pressure from myself to be a bit skinnier and/or lose some weight, specifically around my stomach. Now that I'm not fitting into all regular clothes, I feel like I was so TINY before! Like... What was i thinking?! 
  • Options
    whaat said:
    Guys I consider myself an educated person, but until I got pregnant I literally thought the baby and amniotic sac were inside the placenta.
    eta: like I thought it broke apart for birth, then came out later looking like a separate piece. 
    I guess I need to go look this up in Google, because apparently I thought the same thing...lol
  • Options
    Ooo, I've got another. I never realized how self-conscious I would be about my naked, pregnant body. I always assumed I'd feel so beautiful and powerful and really I just feel fat and smushy. When does the awesome self-confidence kick in?!
  • Options
    I didn't realize how uncomfortable being pregnant can be, and how strange it makes your body feel. And it's only the beginning! 
  • Options
    I never realized how much I could go from super excited, confident and proud of my growing belly to absolutely feeling terrible and fat in a matter of minutes.
  • Options
    FTM here...I also always thought my entire life that pregnant women had to drink massive amounts of orange juice lol...can't really stomach the stuff right now. 
  • Options
    I can't drink orange juice right now either @jenesiso! Also, tomato products are starting to do the same. Relatively sure it's the acid in both giving me heartburn. Pass the milk.

I didn't realize how normal it is to bend to grab something. My workstation has the printer below my kneecaps and I print like 12 million things a shift. Bending is like a distant dream right now. 
  • Options
    @tigerfish227 that is all too true... I thought it would be different with my second pregnancy, but here I am having the same insecurities. 
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Options
    I also did not realize how miserable I would feel so much of the time. Probably didn't help that I started out this pregnancy suffering some major depression but I feel like I'm sad and frustrated and on the verge of falling apart(emotionally) more often than I feel good.

Therapy ftw!
  • Options
    I agree with the shocking use of our abs in day to day life, I already feel like a tipped cow, DH has to help me up a lot. Also very surprised at how much harder it is on the feet to stand with the extra weight, they get sore SO fast, I will appreciate my pre-baby weight so much more when I get it back one day...
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    BFP Mar 26, 2016 - DD born Nov 2016 <3
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• Options
    I feel like I have SO many more of these for parenting. We'll have to revisit this in November or December. 

But. The third trimester heartburn is like nothing I've ever experienced before. Also the emotional lability - it's one of those things that you think you understand until you actually experience it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The ab usage issue has been a big deal for me the last few weeks. I've been dealing with round ligament pain and other abdominal discomfort (like stretching/pulling), but flinging myself up is a hard habit to break. I've had to utilize my arms and legs more.

I'm also surprised by how apathetic I've gotten about cleaning the house. I'm way more okay with clutter than I used to be. Though, when I finally have to do something about it, I'm glad it's done.
  • Options
    whaatwhaat member
    atcwag said:
    whaat said:
    Guys I consider myself an educated person, but until I got pregnant I literally thought the baby and amniotic sac were inside the placenta.
    eta: like I thought it broke apart for birth, then came out later looking like a separate piece. 
    My best friend thought, until she was well into her 20s, that "dilation" meant your vaginal opening dilated - like you just had a big gaping hole opening wide in your crotch. 
    Haha.. Sex ed in the US, amirite? 
    (Honestly.. I grew up in NJ which is supposedly one of the "better" states for sex ed. I can't imagine being even less prepared.)
  • Options
    I never realized how daring people are with comments to newly pregnant women!!! Sorry but I really REALLY need to vent! 
    I am showing little bit, but really really not much. to work I wear flowy, loose-fitting dress clothes and sit at a high desk with my chair quite low. So unless I stand up and turn to the side, you really can't tell I'm pregnant, and even still it wouldn't be very noticeable- I'm sure you know what I mean. 

But every day at work there is at least one person, usually a man, who will comment "when is your due date?"  ... it actually makes me so angry!!! Isn't it common SENSE to not bring it up unless there's really no doubt in your mind??? I feel like if they flat out asked IF I was pregnant, if know what to say ("that's a really risky question! But luckily for you, yes!" ...Etc)... but with the assumptive questions it's SO TEMPTING to call them out on their ish as it's really just not smart!!!!!! UGH!!!!
  • Options
    I agree with the eating clean. Ate clean for 2+ years. It has become quite the struggle. I though for sure after the morning sickness ended I would do so much better. Nope! Excited about my appointment tomorrow however I'm dreading stepping on the scales. Should be quite interesting. I'm way more self conscious about my weight gain than I ever thought I would be. 
  • Options
    I forgot how much it sucks to not be able to get a margarita or daiquiri when I want one.
  • Options
    I never realized how much I would miss sleeping on my stomach.
  • Options
    @Kittens22 I'm with you! I can't believe how presumptive and blunt people are when you're pregnant. Thankfully I haven't had too many people "call me out" - but as my loose clothing stops being able to hide the bump as much, I know it's going to start happening all the time in my front desk job. Like I want to talk about my uterus with the youth and young adults that we serve at my organization.  :#
  • Options
    I never realized how much I would miss sleeping on my stomach.
    This^^^ I have had to majorly adjust my sleeping positions and I just want to lay on my stomach like I did before! I haven't been able to fully lay on my stomach since about 14 weeks and even then I really was only kinda halfway on my stomach.

Also, I never thought I would actually enjoy having a snoogle. I thought they looked ridiculous and that they would be more of a pain than a help trying to get into the right position. NOPE! My sister's SIL gave me hers and I sleep with it every night. Totally worth it!
  • Options
    @atcwag   lol! wait...but where did she think the penis went then?
  • Options
    Yes! !! I've always made it to the toilet now being pregnant I threw up out a car window and on my floor!  Couldn't hold down saltines or ginger ale!!
  • Options
    I never realized how early in pregnancy some symptoms begin. I kind of expected morning sickness first trimester, feeling amazing second tri into most of third (I was very optimistic!) and then getting the weird and uncomfortable symptoms at the very end. I had no idea my boobs would be huge and so sore by week 6 (they're not really sore anymore but they are still growing). I had no idea my belly button would start looking different already - it hasn't "popped" but it's not what it used to be. I didn't expect swollen feet or ankles before 20 weeks. The list goes on, I have been surprised every step of the way.

However, I also didn't realize how early in a pregnancy some of the good stuff happens. I didn't know baby would actually look like a baby so soon - which is amazing. And I never expected to be able to feel him move this early. These unexpected positives definitely make up for the unexpected negatives.