November 2016 Moms

Eeeeek bug bite

So DH decides to go out in shorts and polo shirt - he sprays himself with OFF bug spray (J&J brand) and comes home with a mosquito bite. Yep, I just bought bug spray with 15% deet, pregnancy safe, at Walgreens yesterday. Eeeek...
No mistake it's a mosquito bite. I'm calling the clinic on Monday to see if they can test him for Zika. In the meantime, no playtime in this house without condoms. San Francisco is supposed to be a mild risk region for Zika, but I'm not taking any chances. 

Re: Eeeeek bug bite

• Loading the player...
  • I live about an hour away from SF... That being said taking your husband to get tested is a waste of time they will only test him if you or your husband have been out of the country. I understand being cautious but this sounds a little extreme! 

• run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • shevaCCshevaCC member
    There's a decent chance Zika *may* be found in regions of the US *later* this summer. As PPs mentioned, our mosquitos don't have it (yet) so there's no risk your DH caught it from being bitten.
  • I'm also in SF. They haven't yet detected the kind of mosquitos that could carry the Zika virus in San Francisco county. (Nearby, yes, but not SF and they update the map every week.) Also it's not mosquito-borne in the US, as pp have mentioned. Save yourself the copay. 
    source: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/discond/Documents/AedesDistributionMap.pdf
  • When I first read this I thought "Am I not being concerned enough about mosquitos?" I feel relieved after reading the comments. I thought maybe I missed a news update and SF was infested. 
  • I appreciate that most of you feel differently about bug bites, which is fine, to each their own. We feel differently after waiting 1/5 of our lifetime for our miracle and are getting DH tested. I'm just shocked that my never-gets-bitten hubby wasn't protected by deet. 

• https://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/united-states.html

There are zero cases of zika transmission in the US. Period. Though,  I guess I am curious to see if a doc is even willing to waste the time to test just to placate you. 

Married July 2015
    Me: 26 DH:27
    Due: 11/6/2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @Knottie1458416769 I'm actually genuinely curious about whether or not you can find a clinican who will test him. Can you report back if they do or do not? 

Sometimea clinicians are not "allowed" to test for certain things unless patients fit certain criteria. Allowed in quotes because there's no big boss standing over our shoulder telling us not to, but many labs will make you indicate that certain criteria are met before they'll agree to a certain test. I'm genuinely curious if someone will test your H for Zika without him traveling to a Zika endemic area.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • From what I understand from my own experience, doctors are not allowed to test for Zika- all potential cases have to be routed through the CDC which has been completely overwhelmed by testing people that have traveled to countries with airborne cases. Even though I was in a severely affected area a month prior to conceiving, I was not eligible for testing. Just trying to give some perspective so you don't get your hopes up. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    edited May 2016
    I get that Zika is a concern but there's no way that you can or should be calling your doctor over every single mosquito bite.  I've waited a long time for my baby as well but there are literally no mosquito transmitted infection anywhere in the U.S.  and no need to call a doctor over every single mosquito bite. 
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • loko08loko08 member
    I live in an area where there are tons of mosquitoes - in fact, I was bit at least twice this weekend, since I forgot bug spray. My OB says they are more concerned with West Nile and Lyme disease then Zika. 

Also, in case anyone is interested, CDC has a pretty extensive list of cases by state and how they were infected. Note that there are zero cases of locally acquired cases in the US. https://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/united-states.html

Now, if your husband has been exhibiting symptoms, I could see him being a candidate for testing. However, I don't think the CDC is going to test everyone who gets a mosquito bite. 

<BabyFetus Ticker >
  • Unless he his exhibiting symptoms of Zika I wouldn't sweat it.  I have been bite several times because I live in a state where the mosquito is our state bird.  They are everywhere.  Bug sprays help but they are like condoms.  So you both should just NEVER leave your house for the next 6 months.  Just to be safe because you care about your baby.

It is an complete overreaction.  Chill out and takes some cleansing breaths.

BabyFruit Ticker

• atcwagatcwag member
    I am sure OP will not respond back once her Dr. tells her she's BSC. ....and it's so hard to keep track of a knottie. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I appreciate that most of you feel differently about bug bites, which is fine, to each their own. We feel differently after waiting 1/5 of our lifetime for our miracle and are getting DH tested. I'm just shocked that my never-gets-bitten hubby wasn't protected by deet. 
    oh so we must not have all had our own fertility issue because we aren't absolutely insane enough to create panic over a standard bug bite in the summer? deet doesn't make you live in a bubble. you're a little too self important for a community...
  • whaat said:
    kmmnocal said:

And a lot of us have had to try very hard to get/stay pregnant, so don't act like that gives you special license for crazy. 
    Seriously. I was legit trying to be helpful and provide official, government-supplied information that could be useful. OP, that kind of talk will get you nowhere. I am no less concerned about the health of my family and my unborn baby having "only" taken one year to conceive. 
    Dude. Seriously. I got pregnant right away. Once we decided to start trying, I never got my period again. This doesn't mean I am any less concerned with my baby's health. 
    Yeah and I mean, if we want to make this the pain olympics, I'm sure we can find someone who's had it tougher than knottie##s. Hence, a pointless and silly argument. 

BFP #1 10/30/15 MMC found 11/30/15 D&C 12/11/15 EDD 7/9/16
    BFP #2  3/21/16    Nora Mae born 12/6/16
    BFP #3 11/27/20    EDD 8/6/21
    healing comes in waves, and maybe today the wave hits the rocks and that’s ok, that’s ok, darling. you are still healing, you are still healing- Ijeoma Umebinyuo, be gentle with yourself

• TwandaFTG said:

Unless he his exhibiting symptoms of Zika I wouldn't sweat it.  I have been bite several times because I live in a state where the mosquito is our state bird.  They are everywhere.  Bug sprays help but they are like condoms.  So you both should just NEVER leave your house for the next 6 months.  Just to be safe because you care about your baby.

It is an complete overreaction.  Chill out and takes some cleansing breaths.

"Bug sprays help but they are like condoms." YES. LOVE THAT.
  • atcwagatcwag member
    I'm sad knottie&:$,!:&/@/!)$ likely won't come
    back to say 
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"