January 2016 Moms

Pain Pain and More Pain Ready To Dry Up

So I got mastitis for the third time I went to urgent care got antibiotics and I felt better after few pills but the breast it was in is still hurting it feels like there is a clog that just won't release or something it hurts I dont see a milk blister which I've had multiple times on that breast and which usually makes my boob feel this way. I exclusively pump for my daughter she is almost 5 months so I'm ready to dry up my milk because i can't keep letting myself go through all this pain every other month it puts me in a bad mood because I'm in so much pain. How did you dry up your milk remember I only pump I just really want to dry up as easy as possible I got a great supply frozen so I will be able to meet my breastfeeding goal for her.

Re: Pain Pain and More Pain Ready To Dry Up

• kwentelakwentela member
    edited May 2016
    Go slowly, cut out one pumping session every few days and then cut out another by going slightly longer between sessions and continue doing that pattern, you can also put green cabbage leaves on your breasts during this time. I've been told "the greener color the better" ... Don't rush the process or you risk giving yourself another mastitis. I would contact a lactation consultant for more pointers since you are so prone to mastitis already and weaning kinda puts you at risk for it 
  • lrayaslrayas member
    I'm drying up my supply too and I EP. I bought a tea called No More Milk and I think it's helped! I cut down my pumping time by 5 min each session. Then dropped one session entirely. I'm probably down to 45 min of pumping a day and it's been a week. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I was almost EP, and have been working on stopping as well. First I stopped my MOTN pump for a week, then, I would normally get X ounces each session, so I decreased to one ounce less every few days. Then spread out my remaining sessions further. It is taking about 2 weeks but I think that's to be expected. 
  • Also taking an antihistamine (zyrtec or claritine...) will be dry you up quicker and hey may even help you breath better.
  • I don't have any advice but I'm going to say I feel your pain. I got mastitis 2 weeks ago and I have never been so sick in my life. The flu like symptoms were worse than the pain for me. Maybe because I've never had the flu?  All I Know is that I would not wish that upon anyone. MISERABLE!  Good luck mama and take care of your self! 
  • ashleyandjodyashleyandjody member
    edited May 2016
    In addition to just regular allergy medicine, I was also told to not take Sudafed because it would dry up my supply! Something you might want to try OP since it's also a pain reliever (consult your doctor though if on other medication) :)

Edited because words are hard

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • In addition to just regular allergy medicine, I was also told to not take Sudafed because it would dry up my supply! Something you might want to try OP since it's also a pain reliever (consult your doctor though if on other medication) :)

Edited because words are hard
    Sudafed is not a pain reliever, it is a decongestant. Over the counter medications are not without side effects, sudafed causes wakefulness and sometimes side effects similar to too much caffeine. Definitely don't want to take it at night if you're not using it to breath better from a cold! 
    Over the counter antihistamines aren't really proven to dry up supply, it's more anecdotal (some people have said it reduced their supply but no real evidence to back it up)
    I'd avoid taking these medications just to decrease supply and stick with reducing pumping as pp's have suggested or talking to lactation consultant. 
    * I'm a pharmacist 
  • ashleyandjodyashleyandjody member
    edited May 2016
    @babyA4242 I thought OP might be suffering from allergies like so many others right now, and suggested taking Sudafed because I know it also relieves sinus pressure headaches (not necessarily a pain reliever, but reduces pressure). I'm sorry for the confusion and assumption! I'm just passing along information that my doctor told me about Sudafed.

Edited because it didn't post all of my response.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • A friend of mine told me to slowly decrease the amount pumped so instead of 5/6 oz everytime do 4 oz for few days then 3 oz then 2 and so on till my supply has adjusted and I can drop sessions in also trying to go atleast 5 hrs between pumps hoping this will work.