May 2016 Moms

Is feeding taking too long?

My twins are 6 weeks old; they were born at 32w5d. When we bottle feed, it can sometimes take 90 minutes for them to stop displaying hunger cues. When I breast feed, I do 15-20 minutes on each side then give them formula supplementation in a bottle. Are they really hungry for 90 solid minutes? Should I cut them off after a certain amount of time? I don't want to put them to bed hungry but I am dying here. 

Calling our pediatrician in the morning but curious to see if anyone else's baby/babies act hungry after a full feed. 

Re: Is feeding taking too long?

• JennyS86JennyS86 member
    edited May 2016
    this might not be helpful to your situation, but when I brought my preemie twins home, they told me not to bottle feed longer than 30min because it would tire them out.  One twin would take 30 min to finish her bottle and the other would take 10min.  Do your twins keep eating the whole 90 min? Do they take naps during that time? Do they use a pacifier?  (just trying to get more info  :) )
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• mcb2016mcb2016 member
    I was told not to let bottle feedings go over 30 minutes too! To make sure they don't get too tired out. You could try a faster flow nipple. We did that for a few weeks and are now back to the slowest one we have. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Not sure if this is the same you're talking about, but my baby shows typical feeding cues also when she is sleepy- she definitely needs to suck on something to fall asleep, so I think that's why the two get a little confusing. 
  • They had the 30 minutes rule in the NICU but our vague discharge instructions just said 'volume as tolerated'. Sometimes they will take a brief intermission that may involve a nap, but they usually just keep eating the whole time. They do take pacifiers, because they were given them in nicu. 

I can't believe you're doing this again after having twins! I'm going crazy town. 
  • They had the 30 minutes rule in the NICU but our vague discharge instructions just said 'volume as tolerated'. Sometimes they will take a brief intermission that may involve a nap, but they usually just keep eating the whole time. They do take pacifiers, because they were given them in nicu. 

I can't believe you're doing this again after having twins! I'm going crazy town. 

(neither can I!) 

but also keep in mind that your twins don't even have an 'adjusted age' yet!  You haven't even reached your due date.  Let us know what your Ped says tomorrow.  I remember being frustrated that my Ped wouldn't give me a specific volume when the nicu had been so specific.  How much do they take from the bottle after nursing? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Pediatrician advised us to keep bottle feeding to a 45 minute max and offer a pacifier before giving them more to make sure they are actually still hungry. Also we're to keep BF to 30 minutes then no more than 30 more to take the bottle supplement.

I have no idea how I will do this when DH gites back to work.