September 2015 Moms
Options

My Nips

Ya'll, I had every intention of making it 12 months of breastfeeding. But at 8 months, my LO has 7 friggin teeth (yes, 7). Is there any way to teach your baby to open their mouth wider while eating? Because her teeth dig in to me at every. single. feed. She's not biting, we went through that, she doesn't do that any more. Her teeth just dig in to my nips and I just don't know if I can go another almost 4 months doing this. Pumping wouldn't work because my right boob doesn't respond and my supply would be screwed very quickly. Please tell me there's a way to keep feeding my baby without my nips being pained all day!

Re: My Nips

• Options
    I'm not really familiar with this since my daughter doesn't have any teeth yet but maybe a nipple shield would help? 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Options
    jen83mnjen83mn member
    7 teeth?! Oh my gosh, you poor thing! My almost 9-month-old just got his first tooth a few weeks ago and that's enough for me! I'm hoping the rest hold off until he's a year old and I'm done breastfeeding. I never knew one little tooth could hurt so bad! I got him to stop the biting, but now have to keep a very close eye on him when feeding so he doesn't get distracted and bite down and try to pull away. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you! Just wanted to commiserate :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    apilandapiland member
    I thought of nipple shield, but I'm not sure if it would be a choking hazard? Since it's so thin I feel like all it would take is one chomp and a piece would be down her throat
  • Options
    LO has six teeth and I feel your pain...literally. :) Some days I worry about how long I can go too. He will me 8 months on Sunday. I have been sandwhiching my breast with my hand and guiding it in further for a deeper latch. The teeth do not get the sensitive part of the nipple that way. I hold the back of his head so he can't pull back. He catches me more when he is snacking and I am playing with my phone/ not paying attention.
  • Options
    DD1 went through stages where I was so sore, but just as I was ready to stop, she would change her positioning and we were fine. She fully weaned at 26mo. Everytime she got new teeth I dealt with the sliding of teeth pain. Are some of the teeth new? This LO only has 2 teeth, and I'm not looking forward to more!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    apilandapiland member
    She's had all of them for seferal weeks, so not extremely new. I'm going to have to try the sandwich idea!