October 2016 Moms

Reagan vs Raegan

CopperBoom86CopperBoom86 member
edited May 2016 in October 2016 Moms
Okay guys, I know this is not the name board, but they are not fans of the name Reagan in either form, so I don't want to post over there again. Originally DH and I were set on Reagan with the nickname Ray, but a lot of friends and family have said that was the masculine form of Ray. Then we started to consider Raegan, which irks me because I feel like it's spelled wrong, but we could use the nickname Rae. Any other suggestions welcome! 
Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Reagan vs Raegan 72 votes

Reagan
79% 57 votes
Raegan
20% 15 votes

Re: Reagan vs Raegan

• Raegan irks me too, and my weird boy mom brain just keeps thinking "Rae-gun blaster" (yes, I'm shaking my head at myself.)
  • ingoscjingoscj member
    If you like the Reagan spelling, use that one. You can still use Rae as a nickname if that is what you like. I think it's a nice nickname. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I see Raegan and I hear "ray gun".  Do what you all like the most!
  • WHATEVER I VOTED FOR RAE 
  • Is it supposed to be pronounced ray-gan?

In my honest opinion, I do not care for either spelling. Just seems off to me.

BUT, this is your child and you should do what you want and what you like.
  • CopperBoom86CopperBoom86 member
    edited May 2016
    Is it supposed to be pronounced ray-gan?

In my honest opinion, I do not care for either spelling. Just seems off to me.

BUT, this is your child and you should do what you want and what you like.
    Yes, both are pronounced Ray-gan. It's a fairly common name. Just curious- are you from America? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know a girl who spells her name Reagan, so this doesn't seem odd to me at all. I say go with what makes you happy. I also like the suggestion for spelling the nickname Rey :)
    BFP#1: 2/10/16
    EDD: 10/19/16

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • LGW2015LGW2015 member
    I actually think Raegan is cute and reallyyyyy like the nickname Rae!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes, I'm from America! Lol.
  • CopperBoom86CopperBoom86 member
    edited May 2016
    Yes, I'm from America! Lol.

Lol, okay! How else would you spell it?? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I personally prefer Reagan and think Ray or Rae are fine, but it's your baby :) do what YOU like!
  • Also wanted to say you can definitely still nn Rae from Reagan. It even makes more sense than Ray because at least all the letters are in the name, lol
  • Ray is not masculine! I had an Uncle whose name was spelled Rae. You're safe with Ray. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    We have a Rea rd near is (said Ray) so I chose Reagan for with nickname Rea. But really, do what makes y'all happy girl... That's what matters most 
  • Thank you all for your input! I think our first instinct was right, after all. We'll go with Reagan and either use Rea or Rae as a nickname. 

We actually did consider Rey, but I don't want people constantly asking if we named her after Star Wars. :#
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm late but I'm with @mrszoess just because looking at the two spellings & knowing how you want it pronounced, I'd more likely pronounce "Raegan" correctly. Though on principle I know it's not the original spelling, which I can understand why it bothers people. 
  • Definitely Reagan and whatever form of Rea/Rae/Ray you want! A good friend is Rachel and we call her Ray all the time. Doesn't seem masculine to me at all; it's not like her real name is Raymond. Just like Sam is a totally legit nickname for Samantha.
  • I would eye roll less at raegan than I would at the 
    -leigh name trend. it's your baby you do you! :) 
  • ingoscj said:
    If you like the Reagan spelling, use that one. You can still use Rae as a nickname if that is what you like. I think it's a nice nickname.

Stuck in the quote box but just wanted to say this is exactly what I was going to say.
    Or use Ray. If she looks half like you she'll clearly be a feminine Ray ;)
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    @CopperBoom86 I just re-read my post and I'm glad you spoke Brittany whenever you read it. Talk about a poorly typed reaponse haha 
  • I know a Reagan, a Raegan and a Raigan, so there's a third option. Between your two choices, I like the Rae spelling better. 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I like Reagan! That's the name my husband and I had decided on if little one was a girl. I really love it! 
            Me: 26 | DH: 27
    June 2012: Married | Started TTC #1 BFP Jan 25 2016 | EDD Sept 30 2016
  • My first name is Kamarae pronounced (Kam-uh-Ray) so I'm partial to Raegan I think it's beautiful. And I really love the nickname Rae. So sweet ❤️ I've also heard Raelynn, just throwing that one out there. But I think Raegan is beautiful.