Baby Showers

"No Pink"

I just got a baby shower invitation for a co-worker who is having a girl, with the request "No pink gifts please, Mom & Dad prefer neutral clothing and toys".  I don't care one way or another, but I envision lots of pink at this shower.

Re: "No Pink"

• VORVOR member
    Why do you envision a lot of pink?  If I got an invitation like this, I'd respect the parents to be wishes.  Do you really think most people would say "screw you, we're getting you pink"?

if nothing else, I don't want to waste my $$!  If I KNOW they don't want pink, I'm not going to buy pink. 
  • I think I would be ok with this too. It's not like they are saying "no clothes" or "cash only." As previous poster said I would not want to waste my money.
  • Loading the player...
  • It's definitely not polite, but I can't imagine people going out of their way to buy pink stuff for spite. 
  • It makes no difference to me, but some of my coworkers think it was rude and have been discussing the girly gifts they plan to give.  I agree, it's a waste!
  • I can definitely see how it walks the fine line of being rude and helpful at the same time.  

For me, it wouldn't really bother me but I can see how it could bother others and it would probably have been better if that little tidbit was left off the invitation.  

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • I have a friend whose mom was the principal hostess of her daughter's bridal shower.  The mom wanted the shower to be a "High Tea" and wanted the invitations to require all the guests to wear pink.

I'm also friends with some of the bridesmaids who were co-hosting the shower.  They had a heck of a time getting the MOB to back down from this and realize that it was not a good plan to dictate the guests' outfits.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • As rude as it is to tell people what to give/not to give you, that doesn't really make it ok to give said thing out of spite, which is also rude.
  • As rude as it is to tell people what to give/not to give you, that doesn't really make it ok to give said thing out of spite, which is also rude.
  • blush64blush64 member
    edited May 2016
    As rude as it is to tell people what to give/not to give you, that doesn't really make it ok to give said thing out of spite, which is also rude.
    People should decline the invitation and not give anything at all. EDIT Those who feel it is rude. 
  • blush64 said:
    As rude as it is to tell people what to give/not to give you, that doesn't really make it ok to give said thing out of spite, which is also rude.
    People should decline the invitation and not give anything at all. EDIT Those who feel it is rude. 
    I agree that some may find it rude, but I would never base my decision on whether or not to attend a friend's baby shower on a small breach of etiquette lol. Just buy something off the registry and move along.
  • blush64blush64 member
    blush64 said:
    I agree that some may find it rude, but I would never base my decision on whether or not to attend a friend's baby shower on a small breach of etiquette lol. Just buy something off the registry and move along.
    If it was a good friend or relative I would go and buy a gift in almost any situation. If it was someone I do not know as well I might not. I don't mind certain breaches of etiquette but if it came accross as rude I might just stay home.
    But it's also funny.
  • bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited May 2016
    Also this is a coworkers shower where obviously multiple co workers were invited. It's not your BFF since third grade or anything. I have one super close friend that's a coworker but several I wouldn't  be surprised to get a shower invite for but it would 100% be the topic of the week at the water cooler Because it comes across as rude. It's not your BF saying "Dude I hate pink FYI if anyone Should ask you for ideas"

• I have a friend whose mom was the principal hostess of her daughter's bridal shower.  The mom wanted the shower to be a "High Tea" and wanted the invitations to require all the guests to wear pink.

I'm also friends with some of the bridesmaids who were co-hosting the shower.  They had a heck of a time getting the MOB to back down from this and realize that it was not a good plan to dictate the guests' outfits.
    Was her name Regina George?
    No -- you mean my friend's mom isn't the only crazy MOB out there?
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Ugh so much side eye to anything like this in the invitation.  Dude.  Just have a neutral color palette in your registry and be thankful that people are giving you things.