November 2016 Moms

Those with boys...

...before your baby was potty-trained, did you ever use baby supplies just for boys? 

Only thing that pops to my mind right now are those pee covers - I'd have imagined you just shield yourself with diaper to avoid getting sprinkled on, but maybe pee covers are useful??

Anything else? Certain baby clothes easier than others (side vs front buttons)

Re: Those with boys...

• I have never used any of those boy-specific products like pee covers.  I thought they seemed unnecessary but also frankly I was kind of scared to use them wrong and hurt him!

It's fairly simple to avoid getting peed on when changing diapers.  One tip I got that helped us a lot in the beginning was to unfasten the diaper, open it a tiny bit to let the air hit his parts, then quickly lay the front of the diaper back down because often times the feeling of the air causes them to pee.  You just leave it on there a sec to let him do his business if necessary, and then uncover again and go about changing the diaper.

In terms of clothing, all the standard stuff we got at Carter's and places like that seemed to work just fine, i.e., regular onesies with bottom snaps, sleep 'n' plays, etc.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    MC May 2013
    Beautiful rainbow DS born Jan. 2015
    BFP #3: March 2016! EDD 11/17/16
  • Nope. They seemed like a waste of money. You're going to get all sorts of bodily fluids on you as mom no matter what sex you have. When he did pee during a diaper change I just placed the diaper (old or new, whichever stage I was at in the changing) over his penis and let him go. If I had to, I then changed his clothes and the changing pad cover. Sometimes I had to mop the floor as well but that was rare lol. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks! I'm imagining bath scenarios where I hold our clean baby one minute, and the next we are both dirty again...clothes you can launder but urine on wooden furniture is tough
  • shevaCC said:
    Thanks! I'm imagining bath scenarios where I hold our clean baby one minute, and the next we are both dirty again...clothes you can launder but urine on wooden furniture is tough
    Lol, I was always happy if the pee was on wooden furniture/floor since I could just wipe it off. Carpet/couch was more what I worried about.
    Agreed. I'd just wipe it up with a Clorox wipe and called it good. Carpet would have been harder. 
  • Katemr1146Katemr1146 member
    edited May 2016
    The letting em get some air trick always worked well for us. You will get peed on though. It's inevitable. 

Those pee shield and such are a huge waste of money. They don't stay on. Skip it. It easier and more effective to throw a baby wipe over them when you need to
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • One of my sons hit the dog once with a stream of pee from the changing table. Anyway, no the pee shields are unnecessary. But if you're getting him circumcised, you'll need little bandages and Vaseline
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• One of my sons hit the dog once with a stream of pee from the changing table. Anyway, no the pee shields are unnecessary. But if you're getting him circumcised, you'll need little bandages and Vaseline
    My hospital provided these so I would check with your doctor or L&D 
  • Like the PP are saying that stuff is  unnecessary we did the same things that are being said about using the diaper or the wipe to cover and opening the diaper first and letting a little air in first. As for clothes when all my kids not just my son were new up until 2-3 months I used the gowns at night they were so much faster and easier then buttons or zippers! 
  • KRMcDKRMcD member
    We bought a bunch of cheap washclothes from walmart and always had those available to toss over his penis in the early months when he would frequently pee during changes.  Now we use them to make sure he is completely dry before applying diaper ointment.  We also had changing pad liners so we didn't have to change the cover as often.  I like the munchkin brand ones better than the boppy ones.
  • Oh yes, changing pad liners are awesome. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • No special supplies.  I got peed on a few times but it wasn't so bad.  But you will be amazed at how far it will go! 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Lol thanks for the suggestions! 
  • shevaCCshevaCC member
    TwandaFTG said:
    No special supplies.  I got peed on a few times but it wasn't so bad.  But you will be amazed at how far it will go! 
    This! I admit to laughing at my DS when during one diaper change his pee hit him in the face and he started wailing.
  • We just did our first round of registering. We basically just walked the store to get a feel for what we like/don't like and need/don't need. The covers made us giggle but I don't think we will be investing in them or registering for them. Most of the children in my life are girls so I'm interested to see if there are any boy specific things to keep in mind that come up in this thread. Thanks ladies!
  • Three boys here, no specific products or clothes I can think of. I did have one friend suggest having petroleum jelly on hand if you circumcise (I believe to keep out infection, we didn't so I have no first hand experience.) Keep in mind every baby is different, my first and third only peed here and there during diaper changes, but my second was frequent (we ended up doubling our amount of changing pads). But I can say from changing my little sister, peeing is not only a boy thing, it's just a flood rather than a fountain.