October 2016 Moms

FFFC (May 27)

Re: FFFC (May 27)

• The only baby names my husband and I have talked about are the ones we will not use, and that includes any name that has been suggested to us by a friend or family member. No joke - I have a running list. We've told everyone that this is not a democracy and they don't get a vote.

Also, I haven't looked at the giant baby name thread or whatever it's called - though I confess that's mostly because it's 20 pages of almost 600 posts and my attention span just isn't that long. In general, if I don't get to a topic before it hits 4 pages or so, I skip it.
    BFP#1: 2/10/16
    EDD: 10/19/16

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • My friend asked me if I want to go watch the red Sox game with her somewhere tonight. I'm already trying to think of an excuse because I don't want to put a bra on. Yes, I live on the wild side. Maybe next week I'll have something cool to confess. Goal for the week...
  • I was looking forward to dinner and hanging with my family on Sunday for my mother's birthday, but now I found out my aunt and uncle are going to be there too. My parents decided to invite them because they don't have kids to celebrate with, but I'm disappointed because I don't really want to hang out with them.

• DS basically has unlimited screen time. The caveat is that he doesn't get to play with phones and we don't have a tablet, so it's only TV. But yeah, anytime we're home the TV is on. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• blaf322blaf322 member
    My friend asked me if I want to go watch the red Sox game with her somewhere tonight. I'm already trying to think of an excuse because I don't want to put a bra on. Yes, I live on the wild side. Maybe next week I'll have something cool to confess. Goal for the week...
    haha... speaking of not wanting to put on a bra... I work from home and just had an oh shit moment when the cleaning ladies showed up and here I am, unshowered and braless. I considered just staying the way I was but decided not to scare them away... the house really needs the cleaning lol
  • DS basically has unlimited screen time. The caveat is that he doesn't get to play with phones and we don't have a tablet, so it's only TV. But yeah, anytime we're home the TV is on. 
    I basically always have the TV when I'm home. Usually it's just background noise or I'll put on Friends or something I've seen a million times while I fall asleep, clean (not so much lately) cook dinner, etc. I thought about how that habit will effect this LO and if I should break it but I actually really enjoy it. How aware will he be at first? Will it effect him in anyway? I guess I should look into this stuff.

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• TurtleMommaTurtleMomma member
    edited May 2016
    @MRSCORKER

We were really good for the first year and a half with DS of basically no screen time at all but that's when we found out about his speech delay and I started watching educational programs with him to help try and teach him colors, shapes, animals, etc. (Didn't help, btw) Now, at 2.5y we watch a lot of movies and I still talk to him about what's going on on screen, but Wall-E doesn't quite fit in the educational program genre, lol. 

When we had DS, "they" said no screen time whatsoever before 2y and maybe an hour per day of supervised time after that. "They" changed their stance a few months ago, though. 

• I think having your entire babies name set in stone before they arrive and you see them is strange. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    @PeggyOlsonFTW ... do you know the stance that's taken now off hand? If not, I can Google.
  • cd92007cd92007 member
    Smoking while pregnant and not putting sunscreen on your child... now I don't feel so bad about forgetting my prenatals. Eeek.. sorry but I agree with previous posters... it's hard not to flame those confessions.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • bnsmith85 said:
    @PeggyOlsonFTW ... do you know the stance that's taken now off hand? If not, I can Google.
    Tag fail? I think you mean to tag @TurtleMomma

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• I have talked this over both with my doctor and with 4 of my cousins who are also doctors and nurses. Neither my, nor my husbands family have a history of skin cancer, and both have a history of anxiety and depression. My cousins advised me to look into multiple studies concerning sun and vitamin d absorption and its link to lower levels of depression, so we do occasionally go out and enjoy the sun. My pediatrician said so long as for prolonged periods he is covered up the risk is incredibly small. We will see as he gets older, but currently this approach has been approved by the doctors I trust and works well for us. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • bnsmith85 said:
    @mommym234 ... the chemicals in sunscreen scare you more than the chemicals in chemo (or worse if you need the meds and it doesn't work)?  I used to mix chemo for IV administration. You have to wear special gloves, it has to be mixed in a hood that keeps you from being able to inhale the medication. I'd be more scared of that.
    This. Good lord this. Skin cancer is much scarier than the chemicals in sunscreen. If you're worried about that, check out the EWG ratings. Yikes.
    There is also lots of more natural options for sunscreen, they're not all as bad as others.
  • I thought of another, I have maybe put sunscreen on my kids once a year. I'm terrible I know, but they're outside so much that they just tan and never burn. Our summers are mega short here though, if I lived in Hawaii maybe it would be different. 
  • @ibabyloveb87 Yes, BUT, nobody has done/thought ANYTHING confession-worthy since last Friday? Really? I'll go again. 
    Yesterday FI left a pack of cigarettes with four left in it sitting out in the open on the entertainment center when he left for work- I smoked all but one of them. I had a sex dream about another woman, thoroughly enjoyed it, and see absolutely nothing wrong with that. And, yesterday I left my children in my running vehicle while I went inside the grocery store because I just didn'twant to deal with the "can I have this???" crap.
    I'm bad news, ya'll. You don't want to get mixed up with the likes of me.

Really?? The smoking admission is bad enough but leaving your children in a running vehicle so you can do errands on your own is awful. Your car was running with the keys in it? What if someone drove away with your kids in the car??
    Command start? I wouldn't ever do it cause I live in a transient city where the crime rate is high. But I hope you didn't leave the keys in it. 
  • emmaaaemmaaa member
    I thought of another, I have maybe put sunscreen on my kids once a year. I'm terrible I know, but they're outside so much that they just tan and never burn. Our summers are mega short here though, if I lived in Hawaii maybe it would be different. 
    Just because there isn't sunburn present doesn't mean skin cancer can't develop. In my husband's industry (golf course maintenance), many of the superintendent's like him are super tan but I'm sure the majority of them have had skin cancer removed. 
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• One last confession: I totally just played up the pregnant/birthday card to guilt my husband cause he decided to start arguing with me about something stupid. He knows my birthday sucks for me nowadays and I really didn't want to fight today.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• blaf322blaf322 member
    bnsmith85 said:
    Tag fail? I think you mean to tag @TurtleMomma
    whoops... for some reason I thought you posted that. Thanks :)
  • bnsmith85 said:
    LauraPCOS said:
    I don't take the prenatals with iron because I've never been able to tolerate iron in a vitamin.  I take gummies that actually taste good but still only manage to remember 4 days a week.   
    I went looking for the gummies but I can't find them here (Toronto area)
    I order mine on Amazon.... Vitafusion brand.
    Ya I just that they're on Amazon.ca so once I put a payment on my credit card I'll order them (ya I'm one of those people lol)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @mommym234 Why don't you look into a company that sells more natural products like Beauty Counter? They say they don't include many of the supposedly harmful chemicals and they've just come out with a new sunscreen line. They also have kids products.

I'm a huge proponent of sunscreen even though I rarely burn because I have olive skin and just tan naturally. I never wore sunscreen as a teenager, but now skin cancer scares me and I've been very adamant about sunscreen since about age 21. Please check out the more natural brands. 

Disclaimer: I do not sell or rep Beauty Counter, nor have I used their sunscreen. But I have been to some of their info sessions. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • emmaaaemmaaa member
    On the sunscreen topic. my husband and his sister are both very dark and tan easily because they are over 1/2 Native American. Since DH and I have been together, I always make him wear sunscreen when we go out in the sun. One summer at the beach, I kept putting it on him and me (I'm a ginger so I will burn in 2 seconds) and offered it to his sister multiple times. She insisted she didn't need it. 

The next morning we woke up to find out that she went to the ER the night before because she had a fever and her skin hurt. Turns out she had sun poisoning but she didn't appear to be burnt at all.
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Oh God, it's happening. Mild drama has infiltrated Oct16....

That's what happens when people aren't too afraid to call other people out. 

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• cd92007cd92007 member
    Also, as someone who suffers from anxiety... a sudden death (unfortunately skin cancer is a fast killer) from skin cancer terrifies me way more than more than chemicals in sunscreen, especially since we use natural based sunscreens at our house. And there are many great Vitamin D supplements for both adults and babies.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • TurtleMommaTurtleMomma member
    edited May 2016
    @bnsmith85

I can't find the exact article I want, but this one explains it well enough. And even so, the AAP is putting out new recc's this fall, hopefully. 

EDIT: I forgot the link, lol 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pediatricians-rethink-screen-time-policy-for-children-1444671636

• blaf322blaf322 member
    edited May 2016
    That's what happens when people aren't too afraid to call other people out. 
    I don't know that it's fear. For me, it's the knowledge that shaming someone over the internet is probably not going to change one second of how they live their life. 

So maybe that's my confession, I don't think anything I could say to anyone about any given topic could ever change their mind, so I mostly just avoid the confrontation altogether. 
    for me, this stuff is bad enough that the risk (making them feel shamed) is worth the possible reward (hopefully inciting change). I have a feeling that's why our typically tame group has come together on these topics. That said, I'm also someone who would rather just hash it out than keep my mouth shut (not always a good thing) and DH is the exact opposite. So I can understand why you'd choose that stance :)
  • Smoking is very bad. Not using sunscreen... I will refrain from stating my full opinion... But unfortunately the "chemical-free" lifestyle has actually been shown to be psychologically comparable to religion. The more you tell her she's wrong, the more strongly she'll believe she's right. 
    Leaving your kids in the car, however, hey, who cares? As far as I know @AllyTheKid has older kids who, if they're anything like her, can probably kick serious ass. Europeans leave their babies in strollers in front of stores all the time. You know your area, you know your kids. Not the safest move but it's not THAT bad.

Me, I drank half a liter of coke zero today. I was sooo stressed out after my baby scare this morning I just needed the caffeine. Boring, I know, but you're talking to the girl who never once got in trouble in 13 years of public school :P 
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • CopperBoom86CopperBoom86 member
    edited May 2016
    @bnsmith85 - Opposites definitely attract! My husband freaking lives for conflict. I have to be careful what I say to him about my problems because he's been known to take matters into his own hands, e.g. FB messaging people I've had conflicts with telling them what he thinks I should've told them lol. 

ETA: I made it sound like I have all kinds of conflicts with people all the time... I was mainly referring to when I had a cake business out of my home and people would cancel at the last minute, refuse to pay a deposit, make ridiculous "Cake Boss" skill level requests and bitch you out when you told them you simply couldn't do it, etc.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • These are confessions because I know they aren't right, in the event there is any confusion about that.
    I know this is the second time I've brought cigarettes to the confession table. I know it's  BAD, and I do feel awful and incredibly guilty about it.  The desire to quit is there, the strength to avoid the temptation that was dangled in front of my face didn't seem to be there though unfortunately this go around. Yes, I realize that makes me pretty weak. I'll own that, and in my own weird way was seeking out being scolded for it since I can't seem to scold myself enough.
    About my kids in the vehicle- Yes, I left the keys in so as to keep the AC on and it was an in-and-out trip, hence me not wanting to unload them all and listen to the gimme gimme while I was trying to hurry. I live in a small town, with a small store, and I can see my vehicle at all times. Aside from that, my oldest knows not to unlock the doors for anybody, and not to touch anything other than the door locks when I get back. I'm not saying it's right, that's why it's a confession and I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise but under the circumstances, the situation was controlled and it certainly isn't a habit.

About the sunscreen, I can't imagine not using it. On the children or myself. I know some people don't really burn, but I'm pasty white and so are they, even 10 minutes exposed get us pink so we slather up. 

• blaf322blaf322 member
    @bnsmith85 - Opposites definitely attract! My husband freaking lives for conflict. I have to be careful what I say to him about my problems because he's been known to take matters into his own hands, e.g. FB messaging people I've had conflicts with telling them what he thinks I should've told them lol. 

ETA: I made it sound like I have all kinds of conflicts with people all the time... I was mainly referring to when I had a cake business out of my home and people would cancel at the last minute, refuse to pay a deposit, make ridiculous "Cake Boss" skill level requests and bitch you out when you told them you simply couldn't do it, etc.  
    don't lie... we all know you're feisty lol j/k :)