November 2016 Moms
Options

Am I being neurotic?

Ok, I will admit it - I think I'm overreacting.  I'm a FTM at 33 and this was TOTALLY unexpected.  I had been waiting for my period when I got the BFP and was in denial....for like a week and a half.  I'm 16w2d and still feeling awful.  Last week I had a headache for 4 days which ended in vomiting and then a residual haze of a headache for the rest of the week.  I had about a day and a half of relief and now it's back complete with period like cramping.  My boyfriend says I'm overreacting and it's normal - cue the part where I want to punch him because he's not the one pregnant, never has been pregnant and hasn't been around anyone who has been pregnant.  I also do not like my doctor - AT ALL!  I had just moved to the area when I got BFP so I picked a practice I thought would have a good reputation (I'm in the Boston area).  Is anyone else experiencing this and what has your doctor said about it?  TIA! :smiley: 

Re: Am I being neurotic?

• Options
    shevaCCshevaCC member
    I've definitely heard of headaches during pregnancy as one of the "fun" symptoms you can have. Are you drinking enough water? Have you tried caffeine and Tylenol? I know there's not much we can take but those things might help a little.

That said, I'm pretty sure there are a few things your doctor could prescribe you for debilitating headaches. If you don't feel supported, there's no reason not to switch doctors. There are tons of great ones in the Boston area and it's still plenty early in our pregnancies to find one that's a good fit for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kms456kms456 member
    I'd 2nd switching doctors and watching you water intake. I'm getting nonstop headaches on the weekend and it's 100% my lack of water.
    Me: 30 DH:31 DD:3
    3/6/16 BFP 
    EDD: 11/14/16

• Options
    With the odd weather changes in NE the past few weeks, I've also gotten a lot more headaches. The pollen counts have been really high lately, too. I'm concentrating on keeping up my water intake and taking Tylenol at the outset of a headache to keep it at bay. If it gets worse, I do my best to lay down for 20 minutes.  I can definitely tell that it's helped. Take stock of how hydrated you are - a baby takes a ton of fluid!
    And if you're not comfortable with your doc, change up now before you get too far into your pregnancy. Docs and midwives are aplenty. Even ask if you can do an office tour or info session with them to get a personal feel for the facility before making a definite switch. Good luck!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with switching docs. You're stuck with them for a while so find someone you like and trust!

Migraines are a not uncommon symptom in the second tri, as is round ligament pain which can hurt like a son of a bitch. Increase your water intake (I drink crazy amounts to try and keep the headaches at bay) and take some Tylenol with some tea/coffee/caffeine since that's pretty much all that's safe for headaches. I vomited for the first time this pregnancy at 14+6 due to a migraine so you're not alone
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    lrg14lrg14 member
    Definitely switch doctors. Seeing your doc should make you feel less anxious, not more. There are so many differnt personalities out there, you can definitely find a better option.
  • Options
    MollySmMollySm member
    I definitely have been getting so many more terrible headaches over the past few weeks.  They really are rough, and have brought back all my nausea from the first trimester :-(
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    I had terrible headaches with my daughter almost the whole time - definitely through the second tri when I was "supposed to be feeling better". Caffeine, tylenol, ice on your neck, peppermint oil (diluted) on your temples/forehead/nape of your neck, a dark room. Sorry, it sucks.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Switch doctors! Look up Boston OBGYN. Dr. Baker and Dr. Lafornara are awesome. And they deliver at Beth Israel which is an amazing hospital. 
    www.bostonobgyn.org
  • Options
    Switch doctors, hands down.

As for the symptoms, in my uneducated knowledge, it sounds like you might be getting dehydrated. On top of drinking water, try to eat fruits/veg with higher water content to help out (and bonus fiber). Try the water thing and monitor while you're waiting to get your new appointment. The cramps might be round ligament pain from everything stretching out. But again, ask a doctor to be sure. Hope you start feeling better soon.
  • Options
    also headaches- have one right now. Make sure you drink water and stay hydrated. Hopefully the hormones will regulate soon!
  • Options
    I second what PPs have said. Your doctor shouldn't make you feel uncomfortable. It's not too late to switch so do some research and find one you like. And try to stay hydrated! No one tells you about all the crappy symptoms of pregnancy until you start experiencing it yourself. 2nd tri isn't guaranteed to be amazing like people say. I hope you feel better soon. 
  • Options
    An ice cold Coke is a miracle worker. Trust me.
  • Options
    Caffeine, Tylenol, water, sleep,  repeat. And change doctors. 
  • Options
    LadyHookLadyHook member
    edited May 2016
    +1 for a new doctor! Luckily Boston has some of the best medical resources anywhere so hopefully you can find someone that you like and trust.

Other than that, drink lots of water and try to get extra rest and sleep if possible. I really hope you feel better soon!

edited for punctuation 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    MC May 2013
    Beautiful rainbow DS born Jan. 2015
    BFP #3: March 2016! EDD 11/17/16
  • Options
    PM me if you need an OB recomendation. I'm in the Boston area as well and I adore my OB.

Also tell your boyfriend to go sit on a pole if he keeps talking like that.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    bos2415bos2415 member
    Hang in there! Also, I'm in the Boston area too- let me know if you want any dr recs! I go to New England OBGYN out of Chestnut Hill and love it so far. They deliver at Brigham and Womens which is (I think, I could be wrong), the number one hospital in the area for pregnancy. I pretty much lived on Pringles and ginger ale for a few weeks- I'm sorry you still feel sick! The cramping might be round ligament pain. 

@DunkinDecaf PHENOMENAL meme. 
  • Options
    MawmeeMawmee member
    Hi neighbor! I also agree with changing docs, as you need someone that can answer your questions thoroughly and make you feel at ease and less anxious. I switched docs last pregnancy at 19 weeks and had no qualms about it! Start off by deciding which hospital you would like to deliver at (so many options and it's not too late to change) and work from there. An internet search of the doc will likely lead to reviews of the docs themselves (and office staff- equally important). I'm sure you know all this, but I am saying all this to tell you- just do it!

Also wow. Hi all the Boston ladies!