Trouble TTC

Intro

Hi everyone, I'm a part of the TTCAL board but I think after 10 cycles i might qualify as TTTC and I have a cpl questions that might fit better over here so I was hoping I could be part of this community as well??

A little background: I'm 31, DH is 33 and we stopped taking preventative measures in October 2013. It took 15 months to conceive the first time (OB wouldnt label it as an issue bc DH and I lived in different states at the time). Unfortunately we miscarried twin boys last May at 18.5 weeks. We were cleared to TTC in August but my periods kept getting progressively longer (33, 36, 40, 44) and finally in Dec we confirmed I wasn't ovulating (progesterone was <0.5). 

I started Letrozole in Jan, had 2 ovulatory but unsuccessful cycles and then got super frustrated and decided to stop taking meds and see if I could get my body back on my own. First cycle after meds was 50 days long and no +OPKs so I'm assuming anovulatory. Currently in second cycle after meds, got +OPK, but 6DPO blood draw showed progesterone of 0.51 aka still not ovulating, ugh. 

My OB won't refer me to an RE until we reach the one year mark in August and has been telling me that all I need to do is destress and then I should be able to get back to normal. I don't know how to not stress when your body is doing absolutely nothing it should be?! I'm currently on CD 34, no sign of AF and worried I'll have another 50 day cycle. If I keep trending this way I'm only gonna have maybe 5 more cycles in 2016! :neutral: 

Anyone out there struggling to ovulate?? Done anything that's helped that wasn't meds? 
DH - 34, Me - 32
Married 7/13
TTC #1 since 10/13
BFP 2/4/15, MC twin boys at 18w3d 5/15
IUI #1 2/25/16

Re: Intro

• /loss discussed/

Hello and I am sorry for your loss and for what you have been going through.  I have to say, I probably would have left that OB long ago.  As far as I know, a loss doesn't reset the time period that you have been trying.  It is ridiculous to me that your OB is telling you to destress and that is it.  Can your PCP refer you to an RE?  I guess August isn't that far away, but ugh, how frustrating.  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Hello and welcome!  I am with you on the frustration around being told to "destress" - as if anything can make you forget what's (not) happening with your body.

I don't have much for advice as I'm certain I always gear up to ovulate but then never actually do so.  My 7dpo progesterone was low-ish but my cycles are super short, not long.

Have you had any preliminary testing?  I know lots of women with PCOS have ovulation issues.  There are probably some lifestyle things that can help with PCOS.

Married since 2011

TTC since Oct 2014
    DOR + MFI
    3 failed IUIs; IVF August 2017
    FET January 2018 - BFP
  • Loading the player...
  • welcome! I haaaaaaaaaaate when people tell me to just relax and it will happen..... literally the most annoying thing someone can say to me considering DH and I spent 6 years not trying but not preventing... letting whatever happens happen... and still never got pregnant.. that is as low stress as i get haha

Luckily i did not need a referral to see a RE.. does your insurance require it? August is not that far but i know i am not a patient person and the wait would kill me........ 
    Me: 36 years old   DH: 42 years old
    Married: 05.2012  
    TW:
    TTC #1 Since April 2016
    HSG/FSH/AMH/E2/SA all normal DX: unexplained IF

spontaneous BFP 01/01/2017-  Alexander was born sleeping 04/13/2017 at 19w1d  ic/chorio
    September 2017 HSG #2 & Gonal-F/Femara/Ovidrel/IUI #1 = ep (Salpingectomy of left fallopian tube)
    spontaneous BFP 01/02/2018  EDD Aug 30th  It's a GIRL!
    Cerclage placed on 03/02BabyFruit Ticker  Cerclage removal 08/02
  • Hello welcome! I echo the sentiments above- total BS coming from the OB. I don't seem to ovulate on my own or if I do it's few and far between. My RE uses a trigger injection to make sure I actually ovulate and the NP said it would be very unlikely to not O with the trigger.GL to you!
    TTC since May 2013
    Mild PCOS, Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    No Folic acid/pharmaceuticals/supplements (too many to list- private message me if interested), IVIL infusion
  • edited May 2016
    Hi Ladies! Thank you all for the responses. 

@BrightenMySky my hubby would 100% agree with you, he really dislikes my OB. I guess I just felt like I should stick it out because she knows me, the story of our loss (which was a really rare) and has been the one doing all our testing. But we just moved and now her office is 1.5 hours away so maybe it is time for a change. I don't have a PCP to get a referral from but I was thinking maybe see a naturopath from now until August and then if still nothing then get the referral and head to the RE. My OBs office does IUIs and triggers and the RE office I looked at appeared to only do IVF.....do any of you do other things besides IVF at your RE??

@seethosestars I have actually been tested for PCOS and everything came back normal. I've had all my hormone levels checked and the only abnormality were progesterone and estrogen which were both at levels that confirm anovulation. I've also had the test where they  put water in your uterus to check for remnants left behind from the miscarriage and that was good and they checked my tubes for blockage and we're all clear. DH has had an SA and that came back "better than average". So I'm just at a loss and maybe should just go back to Letrozole since I know it makes me ovulate but I just want my body to wake the eff up without meds.

@harleyquinn0621...ditto on the hating the relax advice. I want to say..are you flippin serious that you think I can really relax...I might be able to fake it and tell you I'm relaxed but I'm always thinking about TTC, my fertile week, AF, POAS, etc. Another favorite and my OB loves this one..."you've been pregnant so we know you can again but even normal couples need 12 months so be patient". (Insert gun emoji) I do need a referral for my insurance and I think if I went in and demanded one from my OB that she'd give me one but maybe part of me is scared thinking they'll tell us that we need to go to IVF and financially we'd need about another 18 months to be ready for that.  

@lablover78 did your doctors ever figure out why you don't ovulate?? I'm not sure what ovulation looked like before we got pregnant the first time bc I never even thought about it. Funny how naive you can be about conception before you have troubles 
    DH - 34, Me - 32
    Married 7/13
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    IUI #1 2/25/16

• I have a mild case of PCOS. I do my monitored clomid cycles with the RE. I think a naturopath is a great idea!! I'd never really cycled on my own before trying- my OBs had always told me I had to be on the pill if I didn't cycle on my own. When I first came off the pill I didn't cycle and started seeing an NMD. While she did miss the PCOS, she was able to regulate my cycles for the first time in my life! It sounds like your hormones are out of whack and and that is right up an NMDs alley, GL!
    TTC since May 2013
    Mild PCOS, Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    No Folic acid/pharmaceuticals/supplements (too many to list- private message me if interested), IVIL infusion
  • oooh yeah I've heard that too about since I've gotten pregnant before it will happen .... i had an unplanned pregnancy years and years ago when i was in my early 20's that ended in a mmc at 8 weeks..... not exactly super relevant over 10 years later ha ha i swear sometimes... once I got in to my RE tho it was so different.. I've only been seeing him since April but he is moving along with urgency knowing i just want to get pregnant- which is really exciting even tho sometimes it feels like a lot really really fast.... 

i was also afraid the RE would want to push IVF right away- i don't know why i thought he would... but probably bc that is a worst case scenario  for me, there is no way i could afford it and i think that is a fear a lot of women have when they first walk into a REs office.. but that hasn't even popped up as an option... i think if its just that you aren't ovulating, there shouldn't be a reason IVF is the first go to solution..... as long as your tubes are clear and there isn't anything else major they can work on getting you to ovulate by regulating hormones... with me it is through metformin + clomid.  

next cycle i am moving on to IUI but that is much more affordable than IVF 

Me: 36 years old   DH: 42 years old
    Married: 05.2012  
    TW:
    TTC #1 Since April 2016
    HSG/FSH/AMH/E2/SA all normal DX: unexplained IF

spontaneous BFP 01/01/2017-  Alexander was born sleeping 04/13/2017 at 19w1d  ic/chorio
    September 2017 HSG #2 & Gonal-F/Femara/Ovidrel/IUI #1 = ep (Salpingectomy of left fallopian tube)
    spontaneous BFP 01/02/2018  EDD Aug 30th  It's a GIRL!
    Cerclage placed on 03/02BabyFruit Ticker  Cerclage removal 08/02
  • Hello and welcome!  feel free to go to a different OB!   If I was as frustrated as you I may just pay for the initial RE consult out of pocket to get a second opinion, of course I don't know your financial situation. I also agree with whoever said try to get a referral from your PCP.  Some private infertility clinics have free consults, that may be an avenue you want to explore.  Anyway, good luck and welcome.  Please keep is posted with updates.
    TTC since May 2015 with domestic partner of 13 years. Me 33 OH 33.  No ovulation or natural menstruation. Normal SA.
    Diagnosed PCOS February 2016
    First cycle 50mg Clomid 5/3/16, O'd CD 19 BFN
    Second cycle 50mg Clomid 6/1/16 O'd CD 18 BFN
    Third cycle Clomid 6/29/16 O'd CD 16 BFP @11dpo!
    EDD April 3 and praying things work out!
  • Thank you guys for the input and the warm welcome ☺️
    DH - 34, Me - 32
    Married 7/13
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    IUI #1 2/25/16