October 2016 Moms

Gestational Diabetes Diet Question

I searched and found an old thread here so I'm starting a new one so I'm not a zombie lol...

I failed my one hour test and now have to do the three hour test. I'm just wondering if you have had GS in the past, or even diabetes in general, what your daily meals consist of. I'm a super picky eater which doesn't help! I was told by my nephrologist that because of my kidney disease, he wouldn't be surprised if I had it and I guess I'm just trying to prepare for failing the three hour test. :neutral: Not trying to be negative, just prepared for what I need to change. 

Thanks in advance!! 
DS born 2016

Re: Gestational Diabetes Diet Question

• blaf322blaf322 member
    My friend was borderline during her pregnancy and to keep from having to give insulin injections she basically only ate meats and veggies and, if I remember correctly, also limited sodium intake. I also know you have to watch carb intake (bc carbs break down into sugar) and protein helps to keep your glucose levels more steady (so you avoid major highs and lows).
  • I was told by two mommy friends that there's nothing you can do to prevent GD (i.e. eating more of this or none of that), but if that's wrong then someone set me straight! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • My meals aren't much different than other people's that I know of, but I have had an insulin pump for years and carefully count carbs to balance with insulin. I think people with GD might need to restrict carbs more? There was a GD thread but I don't think any of us have really been active on it lately. If you are diagnosed with GD though, you will probably meet with a diabetes educator and/or nutritionist to help with meal planning. Good luck with the 3-hour test!
  • jbal918jbal918 member
    Thanks ladies! Definitely not looking forward to the test but I have to do it! 

@TNlove1027 I've heard the same but I'm not sure how true it is too!
    DS born 2016
  • I failed my one hour but passed my three, there's all hope! 

• jbal918jbal918 member
    I'm definitely hoping for that @ByeBabyBunting! That's what happened to my cousin! I also took my first one in the afternoon at 4pm after work so I'm hoping going in the morning will make a difference!
    DS born 2016
  • I was told by two mommy friends that there's nothing you can do to prevent GD (i.e. eating more of this or none of that), but if that's wrong then someone set me straight! :)
    I've always heard this as well. The nurse told me last appointment my test will be at 27 weeks. I'm dreading it. I'm also super picky so I'm worried about what I would eat too @MrsB627
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • edited May 2016
    I was diagnosed with GD at around 14 weeks (which is early) because I failed the 3 hour. I don't have to take insulin (yet, at least, hopefully I won't throughout the pregnancy), and as of right now I only need to test twice a day... in the morning after fasting and then again after my biggest meal. Sometimes I'll test more if I'm unsure how my body will react to a meal... I'm still learning. Counting carbs has worked for me. You don't want to completely cut out carbs because your body still needs them, it's just a matter of choosing the right ones to balance out. So instead of having a regular sandwich on white bread, I have a wrap on a wheat tortilla. 

You can eat as many veggies as you want, and I was told as much cheese as I want. I have to snack every 2 hours, a little protein and some carbs, so I like to do some almonds, cheese and a piece of fruit for my snack, or lately I've been doing whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter. For meals, I load up on veggies and try to keep my carbs around 25-40 grams. It's not too bad... if I want a burger, I have it, just protein style, or open face with only the bottom part of the bun. TBH, you're doctor will help you with how to go about your diet, and some doctors even send their patients to a nutritionist to help.

If you are diagnosed, pinterest has helped a lot with meal ideas, and when we do the weekly meal plan check in things ("what's for dinner") I try to note that my meal plans are GD friendly so people can have more ideas too. Good luck on the 3 hour! FX for you! 

ETA: I noticed I forgot a word. Ooops! 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Hi!

I bombed the 2 hour test and am one of the lucky few that diet adjustments did absolutely no good for since it's my fasting glucose.  I am simply resistant to my own produced insulin. (thanks placenta!)

The original diet was very Atkins-esque.  Low carb, high protein, and cut out a LOT of sugar.

That being said, If you do end up insulin resitant, the insulin isn't bad (unless to accidentally inject in a nearly invisible stretch mark OUCH) and the testing is no big deal as long as you remember what finger you're rotating to that time and to make sure your lancet doesn't accidentally go up to a depth of 8.

I test 1 hour after each meal and first thing in the morning.  Currently on 8 units of fast acting Humalog insulin at lunch and 10 units at dinner. Before bed I so 20 units of slow release Humalin.

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • jbal918jbal918 member
    @ibabyloveb87 definitely going to be a challenge! 
    @Julia70286 I can't do a lot of cheese or dairy because of my kidney disease. This is definitely going to be tricky and I'm thinking of making an appt now with a nutritionist to get a head start. 
    @anna.oskar My friend is type 2 diabetic and she's tested me pre-pregnancy because my mom, dad and aunt and uncle and on moms side all have it and I've been good. Of course when pregnant, now I have to learn lol
    DS born 2016
  • @MrsB627 I had GD with my first pregnancy 3 years ago.  I was diagnosed early by my endocrinologist at 13 weeks that time based off of glucose readings alone.  He let me manage with diet for about a week before recommending insulin.  I started on fast acting insulin for a few weeks, but then we realized my fasting glucose was the real issue during that pregnancy.  Then I went on long acting insulin at bedtime, and things improved.  I logged my meals and pricked my finger 4x/day throughout pregnancy.  It went away while I was still in the hospital recovering from my C-section.

When I'm not pregnant, I'm pre-diabetic.  I also have PCOS and hypothyroidism, both which influence your insulin resistance.

I've switched endocrinologists since that time, and this time my OB managed the initial tests.  I did take them early though because of my history of GD.  I took the 1 hour and failed at 16 weeks this pregnancy, and failed the 3 hour at 17 weeks this pregnancy.  The perinatal group is letting me manage with diet for now, but my fasting AND my after breakfast glucose are both running higher than the recommended limits.  I'll probably wind up on insulin again, but I'd rather do that than have the stomach upset caused by Metformin or Glucophage.  The insulin needles are tiny, and not painful at all.  I find the finger pricks to be more of an inconvenience honestly.

As for diet...mine hasn't changed that much.  I still eat most of what I always have.  I have learned through both pregnancies what carbs spike my sugar (potatoes, white bread, white rice) and what carbs I can tolerate better (brown rice, any pasta).  This is different for everyone I hear. 

The key is to still eat carbs, but limit them and choose them carefully while combining them with an appropriate amount of protein at each meal.  You'll also need to eat smaller, more frequent meals.  Of course, plenty of water and exercise also help.

Favorite food combos of mine... (I live in the South, so please forgive me for some of these poor choices :)  )

Country ham biscuit w/ cheese and only half the biscuit

apples w/ peanut butter

cheese and crackers/pretzels

greek yogurt

cobb salad or grilled chicken salad

special k protein cereal w/ Lactaid

trail mix (make sure there are nuts &/or peanut butter chips)

peanut butter and crackers/pretzels

grapes & cheese

nabs (those orange crackers w/ peanut butter in them)

peanuts

If you're diagnosed, your doctor or nutritionist will work with you on a meal plan and ideas that fit your lifestyle and your tastes.  I hope some of this helps with ideas for snacks/meal planning.  It's not a terrible inconvenience, just tiny modifications, and I find that logging my meals and tracking my glucose helps me make healthier choices to benefit the babies. 

Good luck!

• jbal918jbal918 member
    @JessK1014 Thank you for the food ideas! I actually also have PCOS and hypothyrodism (started during pregnancy) as well as a kidney disease. I feel like if I pass the next test, its a super rare thing lol
    DS born 2016
  • JessK1014 said:

Favorite food combos of mine... (I live in the South, so please forgive me for some of these poor choices :)  )

Country ham biscuit w/ cheese and only half the biscuit

apples w/ peanut butter

cheese and crackers/pretzels

greek yogurt

cobb salad or grilled chicken salad

special k protein cereal w/ Lactaid

trail mix (make sure there are nuts &/or peanut butter chips)

peanut butter and crackers/pretzels

grapes & cheese

nabs (those orange crackers w/ peanut butter in them)

peanuts

i love that you call them nabs!!!!! 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • @ibabyloveb87 That's what everyone around here calls them.  Either that or a square meal.  :)