December 2016 Moms

Everything you didn't want to know about pregnancy, birth, and postpartum: STM to FTM advice

Re: Everything you didn't want to know about pregnancy, birth, and postpartum: STM to FTM advice

• Even your nursing bras may not fit when engorgement happens. The ladies can get crazy and scary big. I had to have my husband run out and buy the next size up even though I thought I was prepared and had ordered nursing bras in advance.

• Yea I had to get new bras too (though my bras are pathetically spacious now that the girls have shrunk so drastically...I am one who does not get big boobs during pregnancy); though I didn't get nursing bras because I wanted clothing I could wear beyond pregnancy stuff. I found that wearing sports bras was super comfortable for the first few weeks at home. I'd just pull them up to nurse as needed.
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~BFP 03/22/14 EDD 12/05/14~                       
    ~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • Loading the player...
  • ^Branching off of the nursing pads thing- Bamboobies are the best freaking nursing pads ever.
    Even if you don't leak milk, you may find yellow crusty stuff on your nips too- that's colostrum and totally normal.
    Yes, the bamboobies are amazing! They often have a free pair deal, just pay for shipping. I would recommend using the overnights until your supply regulates.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I hated bamboobies. The thin ones leaked and the thick ones were too lumpy. Course my boobs are like fountains so maybe they just didn't stand a chance. 
    I used johnsons brand. At first I hated them but then I found they were so much softer and absorbing than the other itchy lumpy brands. 
    Maybe they have gotten better in the last few years
  • beff12beff12 member
    I ended up using disposable nursing pads. I had an unfortunate abscess incident and after that, the disposable ones seemed much more hygienic! 

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• okay I feel like this is a stupid question but I'm going for it anyway. Can your boobs be too big to breastfeed? I'm currently a 34h and I'm expecting to go up easily another 2 sizes. I'm just worried it's going to be hard/not possible to do it. 
    Me: 29
    DH: 30
    Happily Ever After: 05-15-2015
    TTC since June 2015 
    BFP 3/21! - E.D.D. 11/28/16!

Pregnancy Ticker
    September Football Siggy

• @jenlynne0624 thank you! I woke up in the middle of the night with that thought and I'm like OMG what if these are too big!! lol
    Me: 29
    DH: 30
    Happily Ever After: 05-15-2015
    TTC since June 2015 
    BFP 3/21! - E.D.D. 11/28/16!

Pregnancy Ticker
    September Football Siggy

• @sammyl1221 I have 40Ks. I could only use the football hold, and had to 'double hand the sandwich' is what my LC called it. 

Something that is an issue is inverted nipples, and nipple size. You might have to use a shield for those.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• @sammyl1221 I have 40Ks. I could only use the football hold, and had to 'double hand the sandwich' is what my LC called it. 

Something that is an issue is inverted nipples, and nipple size. You might have to use a shield for those.
    Piggy backing off of this. If you have to use a nipple shield you have to pump afterwards or your supply may take a hit.
  • And if you have any issues or concerns trying to BF, definitely speak with a lactation consultant. We had a great one come to speak to us at my birthing class, and we had her information for issues afterwards. You also want to make sure the baby doesn't have a tongue tie, if it seems to have trouble latching and getting any milk. 

Also DH read a book called The Expectant Father while I was pregnant, and it really helped him. I think what was most helpful was that it provided him with tips on how to deal with me and everything I was going through. He knew all the 'right' things to say. It was great!
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • @slartybartfast - I think that a short hair cut would look great with your dragon costume while you relax in your tubey thing.
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • @LinziLoo09 - I'm like a cover model for a pregnancy magazine over here!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • I strive to be @slartybartfast .
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • beff12beff12 member
    @slartybartfast yes! I got my hair chopped off when I was pregnant with DD. It wasn't the best cut and I actually had to work on it every morning. I was so relieved that by the time she was born it was long enough to pull up. Not making that same mistake this time! 

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014

• dmontgodmontgo member
    I solve all my hair problems by shaving half of my head haha. But seriously...here's to hoping I don't have a walrus face by the end of this pregnancy that would make me look like I'm wearing a toupee. >.>
  • maamawaabangimaamawaabangi member
    edited May 2016
    I made worse choices with my hair postpartum. With my 1st I got bangs... While living in the south... So bad! After my 2nd I dyed my hair "red" (orange). And it looked slightly like a mullet... Wait at least a few months and don't do anything too different! 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• So many of my friends have done the mom chop and all of them have grown it back out. I know myself well enough to know I can't do shoulder length well and I've never had it shorter, so I usually just add highlights or another color. Nothing crazy. I realized this week that my hair needs cut. It's down to my waist almost and its ridiculously to long. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @lalamomma I am not a mom chop person. My hair does best about shoulder length and a tish longer. Any shorter and it's awful. I attempted the lob last year, and although it was horrible, my hair is too flat to make that look good. I also have had long hair down to my boobs, and it just weighed everything down and made my face look longer than before. So... it will remain around shoulder length and highlighted! I actually have an appointment next week for a cut/color and cannot wait!
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• Do yourself a favor and wrap up your tummy postpartum... It will feel like your insides are just hanging there, swaying all about, and your back might even hurt. Invest in a wrap or ask your hospital for one... It feels SO good. It will also help your diastisis (separation in your two vertical muscles) to repair quicker too. 
    Invest in repairing your abs and pelvic floor after... Despite what some say... It is NOT normal to have incontinence as a postpartum woman (like after a few months)... It can be repaired and you owe it to yourself to sneeze without peeing! I do "fit2b" and it's helped me so much! 

Also, after birth you will feel like a truck hit you.

And whatever you eat after birth will taste like the best meal of your life! 

• Where did you buy maternity underwear and what type (fold over?  Low cut?).  I need some new underwear and don't want to invest in something to have to buy new underwear in a few months so thinking of picking up a few pairs now.
  • I never bought maternity underwear. Just wore my usual granny panties. I bought a size up around 6 months and those fit until about 6 months PP. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• beff12beff12 member
    I never did maternity underwear either! I just picked up some Hanes granny panties in a bigger size than usual. Like @sourlemon said, I wore them PP too!

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014

• Just size up... Some things like that are marketing ploys. 

• @penelope4612 UO here, but I think maternity underwear are sent from heaven. I bought some when I was pregnant with DD and they were amazing! I got mine from Motherhood Maternity. They are low cut. I think most of them were the Jessica Simpson brand. They are super cute so it helped me to still feel pretty and not just like a beached whale. If you're going to buy them this early I would get a size larger than you typically would. It could just be me, but by the end of my pregnancy my butt seemed to have doubled in size.
  • @penelope4612 UO here, but I think maternity underwear are sent from heaven. I bought some when I was pregnant with DD and they were amazing! I got mine from Motherhood Maternity. They are low cut. I think most of them were the Jessica Simpson brand. They are super cute so it helped me to still feel pretty and not just like a beached whale. If you're going to buy them this early I would get a size larger than you typically would. It could just be me, but by the end of my pregnancy my butt seemed to have doubled in size.
    I agree, I love my maternity underwear. I also bought mine at Motherhood Maternity but not Jessica Simpson brand, one of the others and I loved them
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Where did you buy maternity underwear and what type (fold over?  Low cut?).  I need some new underwear and don't want to invest in something to have to buy new underwear in a few months so thinking of picking up a few pairs now.
    I had the same mentality as PPs until I discovered maternity panties on clearance at Destination Maternity and thought "heck...why not?". as soon as they were on my body I was asking "why not sooner?!!!" Let me tell you they are a game changer, and I may or may not be still wearing them 6mos postpartum (but I guess I am pregnant again so it is not all unwarranted). Bottom line: they fit like a glove. I can't quite figure out how they are so different from regular underwear but they are soooo comfy. Do it. (Check out Walmart perhaps or DM/Motherhood)
  • beff12beff12 member
    Now I may have to buy maternity underwear! I didn't realize they were so amazing. I talked to some (older) ladies about them when I was pregnant with DD and they made them sound awful haha. Granted neither of them have had kids in the past 10 years or so... :blush: 

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014

I agree, I love my maternity underwear. I also bought mine at Motherhood Maternity but not Jessica Simpson brand, one of the others and I loved them
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I didn't have maternity underwear last time but was quite disheartened about how buying two sizes larger at walmart didn't cut it. Motherhood Maternity currently has buy 1 pack get the other 50% off, so now i have six pairs coming! Cannot. Wait.
  • Well, maybe I'll have to redact my statement and give them a try... So many seem to think thwy are more comfy! Anything for comfort, including eating humble pie. 
    On motherhood maternity do you like the roll down ones? I'm not sure which to pick. 

• i love maternity underwear- Very comfortable during and after pregnancy, especially as I was recovering from a c-section.

Also, I used wraps and they helped me not feel so "punched in the gut". After the stitches were dissolved, I started using c-panty which helped give me extra support. 

Hope that helped. 

Also, I invested in an electric heating pad early on last pregnancy- so useful. I am sitting with it on my neck/shoulder now as i'm in pain again! 
  • Has anyone mentioned the pain after vaginal birth? Haha.  The funniest part was that my doctor won't prescribe pain meds, just take motrin! I'm sorry to say, I just shoved an 8lb meatloaf out of my body, I didn't fall down and scrape my knee, motrin won't freaking help in this scenario. 
  • @maamawaabangi I did buy the roll down ones, I can't remember what brand but one of the two options involved an animal print and they came in a three pack.
  • After delivering you'll have after birth pains... Basically continued uterine contractions that keep you from hemorrhaging, return your uterus to its smaller size and also help you clear out any debris. Really they are a good thing that you "want" to encourage... Even early on checking your uterus and giving it a little sneeze to help it firm up and not be lazy and end up bleeding too much (or worse hemorrhage). But they suck!
    Typically they will come on a few moments after starting to nurse your baby... Which stinks because that can have its own challenges. 
    To deal with it I take ibprophen for the 1st few days and also just try to do my labor relaxation and take some deep breaths. I also found that emptying my bladder often helps things in that area to find their places again and also because early on you may not feel like you have to pee (probably due to the increased room) but in reality your bladder can be too full or you may temporarily stun nerves and not feel the sensation to pee for a few days... Just go a lot!
    The afterpains generally pass much quicker than regular contractions and are fleeting. But, they are rude when you aren't expecting them! 

• My afterbirth cramps were not bad at all, but I'm probably in the minority. I think I also just had postpartum euphoria from finally not being pregnant anymore. I didn't care what you threw my way; I was happy!

My lady bits, though, yea they hurt a bit. Every time I stood up, I felt immense pressure at my vagina like the rest of my organs were going to come sliding out of that big old hole now too. It got better over a week or so though. I will say that the pain made me not want to have any visitors initially. DH wanted to invite everyone over to see the baby, but I couldn't socialize while I felt like a patient with all that vaginal soreness. I needed a few hermit days to deal with it before I could see people.

Also, don't expect your vagina to look "pretty" again. After a month or so, I held a mirror down there and was horrified. Let's just say that sometimes parts of your labia minora get ripped off in the crossfire of a vaginal birth, and nobody mentions it because plenty of other crap is going on that's worse.

Lastly, I think it's been mentioned before, but sex after birth might hurt...a lot...even after the 6 weeks timeframe...even with a lot of lube. It took me maybe to 10 or 12 weeks to have good sex again. And at first I was really freaking out that I would never enjoy it again. It just takes time.

December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave