October 2016 Moms

Formal Dress Ideas

I have a formal to go to on Saturday. I bought a dress from JCPenny, but found out it is jersey material (gotta read the fine print!). It is black tie required (DH has his tux).

Has anyone bought a formal maternity dress? I really don't want to spend much since I will wear this ONE TIME! (I'd prefer not spend $50, but I'm not sure that's possible).

Ideas?

Re: Formal Dress Ideas

• Have you tried ThredUp?  It's online consignment.  They don't have the biggest selection, but you might be able to find something.  (Though it might not make it by Saturday.)  Maybe Rent the Runway?  You basically rent a dress for a few days and then return it.  I've never tried it, but it seems kinda fun.
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    have you looked to see if there are any dresses with a high empire waist lines? They don't need to be maternity if they're also a-line 
  • Loading the player...
  • bnsmith85 said:
    have you looked to see if there are any dresses with a high empire waist lines? They don't need to be maternity if they're also a-line 
    This is a great idea! It may be hard on the time crunch, but if you can find something with an empire waist it could work! Good luck! 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • I had luck with Asos maternity a couple years ago for finding a bridesmaid dress. David's Bridal often has some off the rack sale dresses that could work, too, which you would be able to actually try on and take home instead of ordering. Good luck!
  • I've looked online at Macys.com, JCPenny.com and amazon.com. I was trying not to go to a store (dragging along my 4 yr old and 2 yr old). I just looked at pea in the pod (didn't like those) and motherhood maternity. Looking for a normal empire waist is a great idea! 
  • If you don't have time to order something online, you can always look on websites then call your local store to have them put it on hold for you to just go pick up. Some jersey dresses actually work pretty well for formals, especially if you can style it up with accessories and hair. Plus you have the pregnancy excuse for being slightly more comfortable!
  • I think it's acceptable to be a little less formal while pregnant.

Pink Blush Maternity has some really pretty long dresses that I had looked at for a wedding we have this summer - but then they decided it's not formal. Some of them looked like it might be something you could wear even if you aren't pregnant, but of course you never really know until you get it. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • This is too late for your weekend plans but rent the runway has some "bump friendly" options. They also do a free backup size. 
  • Would love to see a pic of what you end up choosing! :)
  •  Also had a formal event to attend and needed a black dress.  Maternity stores are very expensive and didn't want to buy a dress I may only wear once!  It's not fancy and it's a lot more work but I am in love with Burlington coat factory or Ross.  Don't be afraid to look in the regular dress aisle because that is where I found the best dress.  Spandex and ruching across the belly looks great if you want a tight dress fit to show off that belly.  Later on you can still wear it because it’s stretchy material.  Also rocked some larger size spanks and it looked super cute!  Found a Ralph Lauren dress for $30 at Burlington.  Not into the tight fitting dress then an empire dress will also look good.  Empire dresses I found look better at least on me if they have thicker straps.  Good luck hope this helps and you have these stores near you!

Pregnancy Ticker