October 2016 Moms

Baby Shower Ideas

blaf322blaf322 member
edited May 2016 in October 2016 Moms
It's actually going to be a sprinkle I'm throwing for a friend. I threw 2 showers for her with her first, a formal one in MD for family and a casual bbq locally for friends.... so I'm familiar with how to throw a shower, especially with the two separate groups. But I've never done a sprinkle and with such a mixed group.
She wants this one to be casual and coed which was easy when we were thinking it was just going to be our group of friends, but her H let her know that his mom and grandmother want to come from out of state and that he wants to invite coworkers. All fine by me. But I feel like I need to do more because of the group that'll be there. Any ideas are welcome... I'm starting from scratch here :) picture/pinterest ideas welcome too!

Some answers for great questions asked so they don't get lost:
-I'm open to themes- she said she wants it to be super casual so anything you've ever seen and liked is welcomed as an idea
-She's having a girl but I don't think things need to be ALL pink at the shower- her nursery is prob going to be peach and teal
- Time flexible but no morning/brunch
- Planning to provide full menu (not just snacks)

Re: Baby Shower Ideas

• Do you have a theme in mind @bnsmith85 ?  What time will it be held?  Are you serving food?  Also, do you know if she's having a girl or boy? 
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    edited May 2016
    Do you have a theme in mind @bnsmith85 ?  What time will it be held?  Are you serving food?  Also, do you know if she's having a girl or boy? 
    all really great questions I should have thought to include!

-I'm open to themes- she said she wants it to be super casual so anything you've ever seen and liked is welcomed as an idea
    -She's having a girl but I don't think things need to be ALL pink at the shower- her nursery is prob going to be peach and teal
    - Time flexible but no morning/brunch
    - Planning to provide full menu (not just snacks)

ETA- also putting those answer in the description so it's not lost in the thread (ha... hoping there's enough of a thread to get lost in :) )
  • Loading the player...
  • Not sure what kind of couple they are (like if they like sports, or beer, or what)... but here are some cute ones on Pinterest for co-ed parties.... A bbq is such a good idea given the time of year, you know?

If you didn't want to bbq, and just wanted to serve food + drinks.... a DIY taco bar is always fun. :)  OR you could hire a taco cart vendor... not sure where you're located, but I feel like there are taco carts everywhere. :)

• If you want to do sort of a cookout thing again, this is pretty cute:
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    @annabenanna ... Getting a food truck is a WONDERFUL idea! I wonder if I'll be able to get one during the day on a Saturday? Hmmm.... I'll need to check. And I love that invite! 
  • I'm dying for my one other friend who has a kid to get pregnant, hopefully with a girl, so I can use this sprinkle idea... 

Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • If it's a couples thing, I would probably steer clear of games and things like onesie decorating, etc. I have seen the funny "write a note on the outside of a diaper for a laugh during midnight changes" thing, which would be sort of funny at a co-ed party.

For a "sprinkle" you could be cheeky and fill vases with sprinkles for center pieces. I've also seen cute "it's sprinkling" themes with umbrellas and/or ducklings.
  • My friends are planning a baby shower for me + SO and it's going to be co-ed and casual, held at a friend's house.  It'll be in the heat of summer, so I asked if it could be a pool party (I think I'm going to regret that when I'm 34 weeks pregnant).  Anyway, the theme they are throwing for us is a Travel Theme, since we both love to travel. :)  They did a super cute evite:  Destination --->  Parenthood.  The food will be international to go with the theme and to acknowledge mine and SO's cultural backgrounds... so we will have:  Jewish food, Filipino food, California cuisine and Italian.  You're welcome to steal the idea if you like/if it fits.  
  • @annabenanna my friend is also throwing a co-ed shower for us with a travel/adventure theme! So many cute ideas! 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • @Julia70286, I'm so bummed they won't let me help with the party planning!  I LOVE party planning!  But they told me I'm benched from this one.  :( 
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    @annabenanna ... I'm in the same boat for my own shower. Lol... I love hosting get togethers! Also, the travel theme is really great! They also love to travel, my only worry there is my inability to execute that many foods from that many areas. I would definitely have to outsource lol
  • Pinterest is a life saver. I am totally brain dead and am just sending pins I like to my mom and my BFF for ideas. 

We're having a joint Wedding/Baby Celebration-- very casual, just in a park with some catered food (since it's joint wedding/baby, we're inviting about 75 people, which is insane). 

Food trucks are awesome. I think we're probably going to end up going to a restaurant and ask them for their catering menu and order a bunch of stuff. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    Love all of these ideas! Thanks so much O16 mamas 
  • We did a co-ed shower for a friend's baby and the theme was Burgers Beers and Babies. We had a burger bar and some of the guys cooked the burgers for us. It was fun and relaxed! 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    We did a co-ed shower for a friend's baby and the theme was Burgers Beers and Babies. We had a burger bar and some of the guys cooked the burgers for us. It was fun and relaxed! 
    Love the burger bar idea!
  • I have nothing to add in, you've already been given lots of great ideas.
    just wanted to chime in and say your an awesome friend! I wish I had one that did that for me with my babies! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For food - I would stick to bbq, burgers, or tacos like others have suggested .... pizza or pasta might be fun too, especially if you did an add your own toppings bar with all kinds of items for the guests to add. (This could be done with tacos or hot dogs too.) 

For games - Google baby shower candy bar matching game - it is SO much fun and the least awkward for a co-Ed. You also could do a baby version of the shoe game that is done at wedding receptions. Put the couple back to back with each person holding their shoe and their SO's shoe. Ask them questions like: who will the baby look like, who will change the most diapers, who will be the disciplinarian. Each parent-to-be then raises their shoe or their partner's shoe to answer.

If everyone drinks, you could put different beers in baby bottles and have everyone guess what beer is which. Or you could decorate the room with gender neutral baby pics of the parents-to-be and have people guess which parent it is in the pic.

For invitations - maybe just an evite for a casual sprinkle? Evite has really cute stuff

For decor - I made some really cute streamer by cutting out different shapes in tissue paper and gluing to twine. You can customize colors and The more homemade looking, the better. I also love to make a diaper cake for decor. It's perfect because it doubles as a decoration and a gift. (By diaper cake, I mean the non-edible kind that consists of rolled up diapers covered by receiving blankets.)

OK, I'm done! Sorry for getting carried away. I Love planning baby showers!!!! 
  • Sorry I'm back again! Here is the most recent diaper cake I made. There is a bottle of champagne in the middle of it so the new parents could celebrate baby's birth. Then diapers surrounding champagne, then receiving blankets and little baby wash cloths around diapers. 
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    @strickland8052 ... ummmm, I'm obsessed with you right now (I mean that in a haha way, not a crazy way lol). I mean, you love party planning, sounds like you probably love crafting, and you just gave me a s*** ton of ideas! In all seriousness, thank you SO much for all of this! I love the shoe game idea! With her friends only one last year we classed it up by doing a baby bottle chug race, with beer of course lol...That doesn't seem appropriate this go round. Again, you are wonderful and thank you so much!

@schell2013- thanks so much :) 
  • @bnsmith85 - yay!! Glad it helped! I LOVE crafting and planning!