October 2016 Moms
Options

Anything worth getting from America?

BERRY2BBERRY2B member
edited May 2016 in October 2016 Moms
hey my SIL is going over to Malibu to see her family next week. She's offered to pick up any baby bits I might want. I live in UK, and not been to America. Is there anything worth asking my SIL to grab that is cheaper/better from there? Or particularly nice clothes places worth looking in? Xx

Re: Anything worth getting from America?

• Options
    like for your baby or.....? 
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    Never been to the UK so I have nothing to compare to... Maybe your SIL could just be on the lookout for you?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    never mind missed that part. would she ship back? not sure what you guys have there but most baby stuff is bulky except clothes. may be cheaper to buy online 
  • Options
    BERRY2BBERRY2B member
    No she'll be coming back to UK, she's just going to America to visit family. That's what I thought most things are too big really. But I feel like she wants me to suggest something for her to get?! Often clothes there are cheaper but I dnt know what shops to try an look up online to see if there's anything that particularly takes my fancy X 
  • Options
    maybe local boutiques in the area there. otherwise most stuff in big box stores is easy to get online and not really "special" 
  • Options
    Honestly most of the baby clothes I buy come either from Carter's, Target, or secondhand stores. There are nice boutiques, but they are local and usually more pricey. Aside from clothes, smaller items like crib sheets, bibs, and books may be easy to pack, but they aren't particularly special.
  • Options
    To echo what others said - there may be more variety in the US, but not much that's really much better than UK. Plus it probably applies more to the bigger ticket items, which I think a lot of us buy online anyway. As far as baby stuff goes, European standards tend to be stricter than US standards, so as far as "better" stuff, maybe not so much. I'm sure if she keeps her eyes open she can find some cute Malibu-ish baby stuff though.
  • Options
    FemShepFemShep member
    Most of my friends from the UK buy clothes when they visit the US. 

As as an alternative, do you have a favorite type of snack?  Might be fun to try the US version. 
  • Options
    lmno304lmno304 member
    Maybe just some touristy stuff like a California onesie or tshirt or something. As far as nice stuff goes, there isn't much that isn't already available to you.
  • Options
    As an American in Germany let me tell you EVERYTHING is cheaper in the US. However if you are opposed to "made in China" American baby goods aren't for you. I have coordinated efforts of everyone I know traveling between the US and Germany bringing me all sorts of stuff, but especially English books and clothes. The primary limiting factor is how much your SIL is willing to carry for you ;) Just make sure she goes to a non-touristy area, otherwise it will cost the same as shopping in London. 
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • Options
    I'm from Ireland living in the US. I suggest she gets you carters baby clothes. They wash well & are priced well. Sizing wise it'll say eg.
    6 months which means 3-6 months. 
    The other thing I loved with my first is the fisher price rock n play but that's prob too bulky for her to fly with.