April 2016 Moms
Options

No childcare yet!

I go back to work in a month, and DH will go back in August (he's a teacher and out for the summer). Originally my mom was going to quit her job and keep LO (its what she has always wanted to do, babysit her grandchildren). But my dad has had bad luck with jobs over the past year, his company downsized and he was laid off. So my mom is unable to quit her job for the foreseeable future. We live in a stupid small town, and there is one daycare im aware of, but its not a place I want to send baby to. We cannot find a babysitter! Ive offered my to pay my SIL, a cousin, but they arent able to do it. Ive asked my other cousins who keeps their toddlers but its a friend of theirs who isnt taking more kids. DH and I have both asked numerous people (family, coworkers) of they know anyone who babysits, but nobody does. At this point Im wondering what people in this town do with their babies?? Also Im freaking out because we pretty much have no options here. I *might* be able to switch my work schedule to afternoon shift, 3-11 (I currently work midnights 11-7). If I do that, my mom can watch LO in the time frame of me leaving for work andwhen DH gets home. But I dont want to work opposite shift from DH, we would never see each other. Plus Idk if I can switch anyway, shift preferences at work is based on seniority and I am the lowest person on the seniority list right now. The only way I could switch shifts is if someone on afternoons wanted to go to midnights, then I would be "bumped" to afternoons.  

Im at a loss here! I looked at care.com but there are about 8 people that come up and they are girls in their early 20s. I assume they are in college and not able to babysit full time. I dont know how to find a nanny or if we could afford one anyway. Why is it so hard to find childcare? I hate being in a small town for reasons like this! Any other small town ladies here? What are you doing for childcare?

Re: No childcare yet!

• Options
    Would you happen to go to church? The two times I have asked friends if they knew of an occasional babysitter, their replies were, "I'll ask around at church." Maybe worth exploring? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @redselig  I thought of that too! But literally right after I posted this, one of my cousins texted me and said she will able to babysit for us, thankfully! Im so relieved, whew! I was really starting to panic that we wouldnt be able to find anyone. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @loveymay glad it worked out. An au pair might've been another option. My sister was one and it was awesome for her, the baby, and the parents!
  • Options
    I will keep that in mind, because Im sure my cousin wont be watching LO long term (like for the next several years). Im hoping eventually my mom will be able to watch him and any future LOs we may have. If she cant though, a nanny/au pair will probably be our best option for long term childcare. Cant I just hire Mary Poppins???
  • Options
    If you get Mary's contact info, PM please!