November 2016 Moms

Buying Essentials on a Budget

Hi! FTM here, wondering where the best places are to shop strollers/car seats (maybe cribs and high chairs too) on a tight budget! If you have any learning's from buying stuff at Wal Mart or Amazon, that would be amazing- please share!:) 

Re: Buying Essentials on a Budget

• leighryleighry member
    You can also check out Craigslist or a child's 2nd hand store. We have a children's orchard by us and that's where we got our bumbo seat and child swing for a lot better prices. We also got an amazing double stroller when we had our 2nd baby on Craigslist for 200 almost brand new.. original price was just over 500. Have to weed through some posts but if you're looking to save some money those are good options! I know babies r us used to do a  deal where if you brought in an old car seat you'd get a discount on a new one.
  • shevaCCshevaCC member
    I definitely recommend finding things 2nd hand if you need/want to save money. I didn't have anyone to get hand-me-downs from so did a lot of craigslist stalking, went to a mom to mom consignment sale, and bought things little by little on Amazon. The two things I would caution against buying used are your car seat and crib. Cribs - you need to check really carefully for recalls. Car seat - you can't know if it's been in a prior accident so best to buy new.
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't tried Zulily, but I believe some ladies have had success getting items there at good value.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • loko08loko08 member
    I have heard good things about Ikea, which has some reasonably priced items. Zulily has been great for deals on maternity clothes, and I've seen some good deals on baby items - sometimes they run really, really good deals on Zulily for baby carriers.
    <BabyFetus Ticker >
  • I've been totally rocking the garage sales. There was one weekend that I spent less than $90 and literally filled my car to the point I couldn't have put anything more in it. I'm talking baby tub, pack-n-play, a little incline seat (I've been calling it a rock N play,  but I just found out that it's not... No idea what to call it), three sacks of books, a stroller, tons of clothes,  bibs,  swaddle blankets, etc. 

Married July 2015
    Me: 26 DH:27
    Due: 11/6/2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

• kms456kms456 member
    I would definitely check out craigslist or facebook b/s/t sites for used items.  I WOULD suggest buying new for the carseat tho - and Walmart has some very reasonable options.
    Me: 30 DH:31 DD:3
    3/6/16 BFP 
    EDD: 11/14/16

• IKEA has some great options for budget friendly nursery stuff. And the Cosco brand at Walmart has some really reasonably priced baby gear if you're on a very tight budget. 
    I highly recommend the baby bargains book. It'll give you recommendations on what gear you really need and what you don't, and good better, better, best, and budget friendly options. Massively helped me last time
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • And for diapers, cream, wipes - those kind of essentials. I use Amazon subscribe and save. You subscribe to a monthly shipment of these items and the more you add, I think the bigger the discount on them gets (don't quote me, it may stop increasing the discount at some point). So we order paper towels, Kleenex, laundry pods, etc. every month and it all gets delivered right to the door for cheaper than target prices. Win! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • On the super cheap i agree with tag sales and used children's stores. For new items you can sign up with babies r us and i get a coupon almost every month for 15-20% off. So each month i get one I am buying something big. We got a monitor for $100 off this month because we stacked the 20% off sale with the 15% coupon. Also watch clearance sections. Babies r us always has car seats and high on clearance to make way for new product or if they were on display.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have the IKEA Gulliver Crib and changing table and they were more affordable than even buying furniture through Walmart. We got it in 2013 and my 3 year old son is still sleeping in the crib as a toddler bed with the side off. Super affordable and super sturdy! We will use it again for this kid. They also have a great high chair that's only like $15. We don't have it at home but it's at my parents house and works great. 
  • I second garage/consignment sales or mom to mom sales on FB groups.  SO many people use their baby swings/bouncers/rock n plays such a minimal amount if their baby doesn't like it, and then are ready to pass it on.  Also you could ask around to friends...I lent my bff our rock n play, lots of swaddles, baby gym etc.  In reality, your baby only uses those for a few months and then you can pass them on!
  • IKEA is amazing and they have great prices! DS's crib, bookcase, dresser, and high chair are all from there and a huge plus is that they have started throwing in wall attachments with the kits so that the big furniture won't tip over onto baby when they start climbing. They even have toys and whatnot that are really well priced.

When we move eventually DS will be ready for his big boy room and I'm definitely going back to deck it out for him.

They actually have this 3 tiered kitchen cart that I initially used for the essentials (diapers, formula, bottles, wipes, burp cloths, nasal aspirator, pacifiers, etc.) and it has been great, we now use it for toys but I plan on reclaiming it for this baby.

Also garage sales, it's that season again so go to every one possible and think outside of the box for uses of things. Pinterest is actually really great for that stuff. Hope I helped!
  • atcwagatcwag member
    I think the bigges thing about budget is to know exactly what you need. Many "must haves" on any baby list you look at are a waste for many families. 
    For instance, most people don't have use for a crib, pack n play, rock n play & bassinet. Maybe if you're on a tight budget, you don't NEED a swing AND a bouncer....things like that. Also, avoid items that are kind of silly - wipe warmer, diaper genie, etc. You can get away with none at all, or a cheaper option. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Look up consignment stores in your area, I believe once upon a child is nationwide. Also sign up for consignment sales through mom groups like just between friends or moms of multiples! You can get everything you need for a really good price. I would join a buy sell trade group in Facebook in your area. My town has a buy sell trade specific to moms and kids items only! 

Lastly garage sales although those can be hit or miss. 
  • banfrogbanfrog member
    Burlington Coat Factory has Baby Depot in it and you can get some good prices on big items. We've bought our strollers and a few car seats there. I would suggest to do some research on car seats that are the best suited for your vehicle and to measure how much space you have in your trunk for a stroller. I got an amazing stroller but it was way to long folded up to fit in our trunk. We use it when we go for walks around the neighborhood, but I had to get an umbrella stroller for the car.
  • atcwag said:
    I think the bigges thing about budget is to know exactly what you need. Many "must haves" on any baby list you look at are a waste for many families. 
    For instance, most people don't have use for a crib, pack n play, rock n play & bassinet. Maybe if you're on a tight budget, you don't NEED a swing AND a bouncer....things like that. Also, avoid items that are kind of silly - wipe warmer, diaper genie, etc. You can get away with none at all, or a cheaper option. 
    This is all very true! There are so many things that all do the same job. Your kid needs a place to sleep. A place, singular. Unless your house is very large, you don't need multiple places to change diapers or put your baby down for a nap.

And for real, everyone told me a wipe warmer was dumb but I just haaaaad to get one. I think I used it for 2 weeks our of sheer stubbornness. it was the stupidest.

It amazes me how much stuff I thought I needed for DD. I returned SO MUCH STUFF. This time I need a car seat and....that's about it. (granted I have the other stuff, but i wouldn't buy half of it again anyway) Rock n play, crib, somewhere to change a diaper. Swing or bouncer.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @talkthewholetime why is a wipe warmer useless? Dunno what baby will prefer but I imagine if I were in diapers and getting changed so frequently at night, I'd prob prefer something warm instead of cold wipes - that's how I'm deciding on all our baby purchases - what would I love if I were in baby's shoes...that's why I got a rubber ducky bath water thermometer (not bc of the temperature indicator, heck I can just test with my hands, but because my younger self would be loving rubber duckies)
  • @talkthewholetime why is a wipe warmer useless? Dunno what baby will prefer but I imagine if I were in diapers and getting changed so frequently at night, I'd prob prefer something warm instead of cold wipes - that's how I'm deciding on all our baby purchases - what would I love if I were in baby's shoes...that's why I got a rubber ducky bath water thermometer (not bc of the temperature indicator, heck I can just test with my hands, but because my younger self would be loving rubber duckies)
    The wipes won't be that cold. They'll be room temp. Also babies pretty much just always hate diaper changes. Grab both ankles and move swiftly, and all will be well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wipes warmer is SO unnecessary! Do not waste your money
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with all of the PP and think that consignment sales and garage sales are great.  When I was pregnant with DD, I was surprised by how many of the big items on my registry were on sale during the Christmas holiday (I think the sales started towards the beginning of November).  For example, I bought a $200 monitor for $100.  I was registered at Babies R Us and Target.  Due to the sales, I ended up buying most of the big items on my own because I was afraid no one would purchase them and I'd be left paying full price.  Obviously this may not work you since we're due in November but to the extent that you can wait for some holiday sales it may be worth it.
  • I had a lot of luck with my local Facebook buy/sell/trade page. I got a lot of clothes in bulk for great prices. I also used goodwill, consignment stores (although they can even be too pricey for my cheap ass), and garage sales. Knowing what you have space for or need vs wants was a big help as well. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For a car seat I got the urbini carseat/stroller combo for $150 at Wal-Mart. Well worth it! It's super lightweight and not bulky IMO.abd comes with the wedge if you need for premie baby and the base for car. 
    We were low on money too and space so I just got a portable bassinet for $50 at target.com and it easily went everywhere, all sides are mesh so I never worried baby rolling into it and not breathing, it folded smaller than a swing and was perfect height with our bed. 
    Baby shower we got enough diapers to last us a few months... 
    And if you sign up with pampers and Huggies they send a sample and coupons. 
    Idk about Yalls goodwill but we found clothes were cheaper new at Wal-Mart than at our local goodwill 
  • Thank you all for the amazing responses!!!! I am so lucky to be part of this great community. hopefully others feel helped by these responses too!!!
  • MeetherMeether member
    I agree many of the recommended things aren't needed. For us, we just used a breast pump, carseat, cosleeper, and some hygiene essentials. No bouncy seats, bouncers, jumpers, pack n play, sterilizer, infant towels, crib, etc. For us, we did not want more stuff to clutter our small house :) We do have a few strollers, and baby carriers as we are out a lot and like to have different options. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker