April 2016 Moms

Simethicone

I thought this deserved its own topic!
My baby was fussy all the time. Had to be held all the time. Especially in order to fall asleep. He had a 3 tongue and lip tie so he was swallowing a ton of air when he was feeding. The last few days, if he wasn't sleeping or eating, he was screaming in pain.
Last night my husband brought home the simethicone drops and we have a whole new baby! Not only did he play by himself practically giggling the whole time for 30 minutes or more last night, he slept 7 hours straight during the night!!! He is almost 7 weeks old. He is so much happier and not in pain. All for $2.50!
So, if you think your baby is miserable from swallowing air while feeding, it would be worth a try. Especially with something so cheep and with no known side effects.

Re: Simethicone

• I have simethicone and gripe water. I lean more to the gripe water, that's magic liquid.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I believe it just depends on what's causing the gas.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm pretty sure it did nothing for my LO's gas.
    i prefer gripe water as needed and using probiotics daily.
    it seems to make a huge difference 
  • Andie41Andie41 member
    I'm a big gas drop fan as well! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @korpatch how often do you give the drops? Gripe water keeps him awake and makes him spit up. 
  • You can do it after every feeding and before bed (up to twelve times). At least that is what the bottle says. I give it to him after the last feeding before bed time, any feedings at night, and every other feeding during the day. I'm still seeing a huge difference in him!
    i do always keep him propped upright for at least 10 min after feedings and I have his mattress elevated a little bit because we were having reflux issues too.
    Now we are struggling with the common cold.... Ugh... I'm glad he doesn't have to deal with gas and congestion!
  • @K&Elizabeth How did you figure out the gripe water keeps your baby awake? 
  • K&ElizabethK&Elizabeth member
    edited May 2016
    @K&Elizabeth How did you figure out the gripe water keeps your baby awake? 
    Every time we gave it to him, he has been really wide eyed and stayed awake longer than he usually does after a day feeding. He just seemed extra alert like when you drink too much caffeine.
  • muzskmuzsk member
    What to do for common cold???
  • You can use saline drops in the nose for congestion, as well as a humidifier. It's really just rest & hydration until it passes. So keeping baby comfy & fed. 
  • Eliot has a cold too. The snotssucker is nasty but very effective. I echo what @WBORDERS said. Also, watch out of over heating. Eliot keeps getting a fever off and on with his. If there is a rectal temp of 100.4 or over, they need to go to the doctor.