1st Trimester
Options

Gel Nails

My doc said they haven't really been studied but does anyone get salon gel nails done or do them at home with the Sally Hansen kits? Anyone else ask their doctor about this?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Gel Nails

• Options
    Not much of anything is absorbed through your nail beds. As long as you are not huffing the drying gel, you are probably fine.
  • Options
    kyraaDkyraaD member
    i got my nails done (gel nails) quite a few times while pregnant & my LO came out perfectly fine. i really don't see much risk to getting them done.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I read an article that you just shouldn't get your cuticles cut?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Married DH: 4/7/2012 
    TTC: 2/3/2016 (Me: 31yrs  DH: 35yrs)
    BFP: 4/10/2016
    EDD: 12/18/16
    Kaynen Alexander born 12/6/16 via c-section (bicornate uterus/breech)
  • Options
    Just don't go to a dinky hole in the wall place you've never been to.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I read an article that you just shouldn't get your cuticles cut?
    Say what? Why not?

Just because it's written down, does not mean it's true.
  • Options
    I believe it was webmd, I can find the link. It said that they could cut you, and the chemicals can get under your skin.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    I believe it was webmd, I can find the link. It said that they could cut you, and the chemicals can get under your skin.
    You can cut yourself on something at home and get bacteria and germs in it too. You can't live your life in a bubble while pregnant because you'll be beyond miserable and it will be a loooooooooong 40 weeks. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't call it living in a bubble, but for those of us who have been trying for a while or it's our first time, there are just some risks I actually feel safer not taking, considering it is another life on the line. :) All bodies are different, so you never know.

• Options
    this is also my first, and while I understand taking precautions, I think some women will take things a little TOO serious. If you're that concerned, ask your doctor for their opinion. Their opinion is the one I'll take 10 times out of 10 over those from Internet strangers or even webMD for that matter.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I hope you wear a mask because any fumes can get into your mucous membranes and poison you too. 
  • Options
    katesmama0706katesmama0706 member
    edited May 2016
    I got acrylics done my entire pregnancy with #1 and those are more fume-y than gel nails. The only problem was that I had to ask the gal doing them to open a window days I didn't feel great so I wasn't smelling it so much. Don't go to dirty places and risk infection but otherwise? Meh, you're fine and it won't hurt your baby. Take advantage of those strong pregnancy nails!

Edited because spelling. 
  • Options
    I got mine done every 2 weeks and I have a happy 6 week old. 
    as long as it's ventilated well in the spa you go to then go for it
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member
    Off topic @jonesl12 haven't seen you around in ages congrats on the baby!!!!!!! :kissing_heart: 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I work in a nail salon. You're fine. We've all been pregnant and continued working there. As long as it's a reputable place, you're perfectly safe. If it smells like polish when you walk in, their ventilation sucks and you should leave. As for your cuticles, you're fine. No one should be CUTTING your cuticles anyway. They should only be pushing them back and trimming away dead skin. If they're cutting into you, run. We get gel polish as least once a month and everyone's baby has been fine. Lol. Just tell them you're pregnant so they don't massage your Achilles heel if your getting a pedicure. 

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015