December 2016 Moms
Options

Job dillema

I know this has been talked about in the very beginning, but now that i'm farther along I feel the need to bring it up.

What do you ladies think about switching jobs/interviewing while pregnant? It wasn't a big deal when I was 6-7 weeks, it was still early, but I'm now 12w4d and just had a 1st interview with a 2nd one (hopefully) on Thursday or Friday for a job that would be paying me 12k more to do less than what I do now. I feel like if they do offer it to me, which I'm not holding my breath for because there's so many applicants, what do I do? Do I tell them i'm pregnant? Technically 1st trimester doesn't end until week 14....but still.....is it deceitful? Has anyone here interviewed during their 2nd trimester and got a job? Did you tell the potential employers up front or waited till you got the job?
Met DH - 9/2003
Dating - 9/18/2012
Married - 8/16/2014
NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
*PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

Re: Job dillema

• Options
    After telling my boss last week about being PG, this was after he had talked about a couple job openings in our department. It was an easy transition to discuss, and he told me that I should still apply if I am interested in one or both of them (there are 2 different positions available).

So, I cleaned up my resume, updated my cover letter and sent the application off. I haven't been scheduled for an interview yet but know of another colleague who has. And actually, the only other person besides my boss (and his boss) that know is the person who also applied. No biggie as she's in a different city, and there are 2 openings under one of the positions.

My boss had said that by the time I'd be on maternity leave, I'd be in that position for months... so it shouldn't be that big of a deal and he still encouraged me to apply. If I get an interview, and possibly a second one... I probably would wait until my 2nd to mention it, or ask him what he thinks. I am really hoping I get this position, as it's a HUGE jump from what I have been doing for the last 6 years and the pay increase would gives us more comfort with this new baby, as well as be able to move in the next year. DH just got a big raise, but with daycare costs... it would even it out to what he made before pretty much. So, I figure WTH... I'll apply and see what happens.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I interviewed last July at about 35 weeks pregnant. I ended up getting the job, but as a teacher its typically pretty easy to work with pregnant/pp women. I did tell them I was pregnant at my interview, but the principal's first little girl was about 4 days old, so he completely understood the I'm tired and will do my best situations.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    last pregnancy i switched positions within the same employer at about 6 weeks in - new supervisors, new department. I didn't tell them til 18 weeks.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    Last pregnancy I was laid off at 5 months, and I started another job just a few weeks later. I didn't say anything during the interview, and once they noticed the belly after I started work, I just said that I thought the pregnancy was obvious...which it was but perhaps not as obvious in my interview blouse. They worked well with it, and we had arrangements made for when I'd be out. 

This time around, I'm actually starting a new job - a fellowship - on July 1st, and I haven't told that employer yet. The application/interview process has been going on since long before I was pregnant though, so I didn't plan on saying anything until I started. And the head of the group had told me during an initial interview that it's a good position to do some family planning in (because there's truly no good time in academia), so I think he'll be okay with the development. 

Long story, not short - don't feel guilty. Just do what you've got to do. It's not deceptive to withhold disclosing until you're further along.
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~BFP 03/22/14 EDD 12/05/14~                       
    ~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • Options
    I would hold off on telling them during the interview process, but make sure you are aware of their maternity leave policies/benefits.  I interviewed for a job during my pregnancy last year (I was about 17 weeks along).  Although I was up front with them about my pregnancy (it was evident at the interviews, so hard to hide), I was also very up front that I would not be interested in the job unless they were willing to offer me nearly identical maternity leave benefits.  It was a deal breaker for me since I would be moving my family to a new city and it was my first child at the time.  I was not willing to give up my paid time off.  So, just make sure you do your homework!
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. You have no obligation to tell and they have no legal grounds to let it affect their decision anyways, so do not tell until you're hired further along (which is a more natural time to tell an employer anyways)
  • Options
    I wouldn't tell them either, but I understand your dilemma. 

With my first pregnancy I interviewed at 11 weeks and was offered a job at 12 weeks, started the job at 13 weeks and told them at 15 weeks because I knew it would take significant planning to find my sub. I was worried about it, but everyone was happy and no one said anything about not saying anything during my interviews. 

During interviews they aren't even allowed to ask if you are married or have any kids anyways so I think it's ok to not tel them.

The biggest consideration would be that you will not qualify for FMLA since you will not have worked there for 1 year, not sure if that plays into your decision. My employer still worked with me, but it was not technically protected under FMLA

Married to DH 10.29.11

DD born 1.26.13
    DS born 6.12.14
    #3 due 12.6.16

• Options
    I probably wouldn't tell.

Also, re:FMLA, also check your state laws.  In MA, parents are entitled to 8 weeks leave after working for an employer for 3 months (as far as I can tell by the laws) so your state may have protections in place that will still allow for maternity leave.
  • Options
    Agree with PPs. No need to tell them just yet. Just kill it in the interview! Good luck!
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    dmontgodmontgo member
    Even though the lady that hired me at this new job knew I was pregnant  (someone else told her), she still hired me.

HOWEVER, in any of the job interviews I had before that, I didn't mention it. As others said, it's business, and business is cutthroat. They like to say they wouldn't discriminate against pregnant ladies (or people in general), but believe me, it happens all the time. Most only care about money, and if you can't help them make money--Bye, Felicia! 

So yeah, keep it to yourself until you're raking in the moolah! ;)
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! This has been very helpful and encouraging!
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• Options
    I definitely would not say anything. As PPs said they wouldn't tell you if they were laying off jobs. I understand where you're coming from- you don't want to be perceived as deceitful or less than truthful when you do tell them that you're expecting.... But it's your body and you don't need to tell them squat until you're ready. 
    Me: 29
    DH: 30
    Happily Ever After: 05-15-2015
    TTC since June 2015 
    BFP 3/21! - E.D.D. 11/28/16!

Pregnancy Ticker
    September Football Siggy