October 2016 Moms

Finding A Local Mom Group

AgentCarterAgentCarter member
edited May 2016 in October 2016 Moms
Hi All! 

Apologies if this has been already discussed. I'm at a loss as to finding a local mom group. I'm interested to know how others have found their groups. I've taken a few cursory looks around Meetup and Facebook, and Meetup was a bust for me. The Facebook groups I've glanced at seem really intimidating, and I'm not sure how to join in. 

I went to a very experimental art school for college and grad school, and almost none of my friends have children or are considering children. Most of my friends who do have children all live about ~3,000 miles away. I still haven't announced my pregnancy to the masses yet, so my options are a bit limited right now as to asking for advice from friends that are local.

Thanks!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Finding A Local Mom Group

• Your local hospital may have a list of some on their website.

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• You can FB search for local moms groups. I found a lot of my groups based on special interests (baby wearing, natural mothering, attachment parenting, etc) and there's always cross-chatter about other groups. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • jeng100jeng100 member
    With my first I had some really good luck with Stroller Strides. Look online and see if you have one in your area. It was great to get outside every day arose n's other moms, get some exercise, and talk. I made a really great friend that way. 
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • kmallskmalls member
    Also try checking your town (or city) hall's website. Ours has a "family" section and links to some local parenting groups. 
  • If you are planning to breastfeed, you can search for a local La Leche League group, or some hospitals have great BF support groups that meet there. You could also search for a MOPS group, which usually meets at a local church.
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    I did a quick google for mom groups and then my city. I was able to pull up a local group that has a website but where I found the most that I liked was searching "moms" within a 25 mile radius of my zip on meetup. I've emailed a few to get info/answer any questions I have. 

Don't feel overwhelmed joining. Just throw yourself out there... worst thing that's going to happen is that you join and don't love the group so you don't go back :) That advice is coming from an extreme extrovert, but really... if it's a meet up in public, what's the harm in trying
  • kmallskmalls member
    bnsmith85 said:
    Don't feel overwhelmed joining. Just throw yourself out there... worst thing that's going to happen is that you join and don't love the group so you don't go back :) That advice is coming from an extreme extrovert, but really... if it's a meet up in public, what's the harm in trying
    All of this! It's hard putting yourself out there in the beginning, but honestly nobody thinks twice about it. Everyone understands how tough the early days of motherhood can be, and in my experience, other moms have been really supportive. And if you don't click with anyone, so what? Move on to the next group! Nobody will reach out to you until you make the first move -- so go for it! 
  • Thank you all so much for your advice! I tried the Facebook option and found what looks like a great group. :smile: 
  • This is a totally abnormal way, but I met one of my closest mom friends on my last bump board. We obviously didn't meet until after our babes were born, but we did talk regularly up to that point. Our kids were born two days apart and I took her birth photos for her second son a few weeks ago.

There are about 10 of us from M14 that talk daily and regularly hangout. It takes time to develop those relationships though. My closest mom friends are on the Internet. Haha.

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • nlane0723 said:
    This is a totally abnormal way, but I met one of my closest mom friends on my last bump board. We obviously didn't meet until after our babes were born, but we did talk regularly up to that point. Our kids were born two days apart and I took her birth photos for her second son a few weeks ago.

There are about 10 of us from M14 that talk daily and regularly hangout. It takes time to develop those relationships though. My closest mom friends are on the Internet. Haha.
    That's really cool that you met your friends this way-- I'd love to make more online friends haha! Most of my friends from college have moved away, and none of my friends nearby have kids or have shown any interest in having kids-- my best friend is the only one in my social circle who has a baby, and we only see each other maybe once a year.

• I haven't made any mom friends, but am thinking of going to kids story time at the library and tiny tot swim time to try and find others in my area.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Meetup.com was how I found mine. 4 years later and I don't know what I'd do without them, love my mom friends! 

• nlane0723 said:
    This is a totally abnormal way, but I met one of my closest mom friends on my last bump board. We obviously didn't meet until after our babes were born, but we did talk regularly up to that point. Our kids were born two days apart and I took her birth photos for her second son a few weeks ago.

Several of the D14 peeps carried over to FB near the last few weeks of our pregnancies, and we've all remained really close. One mama actually lives down the street from me and we became very, very close friends over the last 18 months. Moral is, some of you bishes may be good friend material. ;)  

But really... I am so grateful for my moms groups. I'm in a few local ones in my neighborhood -- I live in suburbia... seriously. White picket fences, cookie cutter houses, SAHM's all over the place -- and I think it's incredibly important to find your "village" or support. Try doing some facebook searches, perhaps starting with your county. For instance where I live, it's "XX County Moms". There's also a First Time Mommy's Group on facebook that is nationwide (worldwide?) but you may be able to start there and narrow down more regional or local groups.

Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• We live in a really rural area, and it was SO hard for me to find moms groups.  No one here knows how to internet, and it makes it so hard to know what's out there.  My daughter is 14mo so we've been working on this for awhile...
    The next town over has a breastfeeding support group where I've made a few friends.  One of the moms is a pastor's wife and they do a playgroup at their church once a week (it's not faith based, so it isn't exclusive).  I also was told about a moms group at a La Leche League meeting - I hated the LLL group, but the playgroup someone mentioned while they were there is wonderful.  Kids from 0-8, and moms in all stages.  The kids just run around like maniacs and we sit and chat. 
    We don't have any church or faith-based groups around here, which I would be interested in.  I joined a babywearing group on facebook that's about an hour and a half away.  I've gone to two meetings in person and joined their Off Topic group as well.  They do informal playdates and stuff, so that's fun.  And they have a lot of people hwo do this thing called Hike It Baby, which is a nationwide organization of outdoorsy moms who take their littles on hikes.  I haven't gone to one yet, but I plan to. :) Good luck.  It's hard finding your 'tribe' if you will..
  • @nsquaredlife13 - were you on a different SN on D14?
  • @nsquaredlife13 - were you on a different SN on D14?
    Yep! After the mass exodus I asked TB to delete my account. I was nikkimn143--pretty active on d14.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• I ended up posting to my FB asking if anyone had ideas of things to do besides the store and walks with a newborn and was directed to a local FB mom page. I then got in touch with someone about a group called MOPS (moms of pre-schoolers) which has women from pregnancy until their youngest is in kindergarten. They are international and even after my move is still one of my favorite groups.

A lot of people suggest story time, or kids music classes but it isn't my thing and my child was never interested.I also suggest looking at meetup.com for groups (parents, stay at home, playgroup, working mom etc) and also do a basic google search for things in your area. 

Don't put pressure of going and making some grand impression and finding your best friend on day one. Just show up, enjoy an hour out and chat with some people. Not every group will work for you so keeping it low key and just going for the experience helps as you figure out what is you type of mom group.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • I was in your situation with my last baby--all my mom friends are spread out across the country.  One of those friends ended up creating a What'sApp text group for all the moms she found herself texting and calling regularly to ask questions and compare experiences.  There are 6 women in the group, and it has been such a great support for me.  We share advice, little joys (he peed in the potty, weeee!), frustrations (my baby isn't sleeping, I'm a zombie), and just anything at all that we feel like.  And you don't get the judgement and drama that inevitably comes with online groups.