December 2016 Moms
Options

Uterine Fibroids

My 12 week scan yesterday revealed a 2.5 by 2.5 (cm) fibroid on my upper uterine wall. My doctor and midwife said it might get bigger, but probably won't cause any complications. Now I am too scared to exercise because I'm convinced I can feel something hard in my uterus and I'm not sure if it is the baby or the tumor. I'm also scared because I haven't had a pap in 5-6 years (I'm 32) and my midwife keeps pushing it off indefinitely. I'm not sure how they can tell the fibroid is not cancerous. I have so many questions that I just was not prepared for. Is anyone in the same situation?
Me: 35 Husband: 40
TTC #2: Jan 2019
 DS: 2.5 yo 
 EDD: 12/2/16 DOB: 10/22/16
(Previously MBS2016 Dec 2016 board
<3         <3 

Re: Uterine Fibroids

• Options
    emisiemisi member
    I have fibroids, including one very large one (5 cm before pregnancy).  They can tell the difference between a cancerous tumor and a fibroid... a fibroid is really just a clump of tissue.  And yes, they probably will get bigger during pregnancy, but I had them last time and they didn't cause any issues.  Lots of women actually have fibroids and don't realize it - don't worry, you can keep exercising.  :)  I run, and mine's twice the size of yours!
    Dec 2016 BMB August Siggy Challenge: Awkward Back to School Photos

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    uromysuromys member
    I'll second @emisi. I have fibroids and have not through two pregnancies. Typically early on they may be tender when I put pressure on that side but usually it subsides. 

DH & I are both 28    Together: 12 years    Married: 09/24/2011

BFP#1: January '12 - DD1 09/16/2012

Preterm labor 31 weeks. Monitored for Hellp and diagnosed with oligohydramnios July '12

BFP #2: 06/25 - EDD 03/05/15 MMC confirmed 8/1 - D&E 8/4 retained tissue discovered 8/20

BFP #3 11/24 - 12/15 Heartbeat detected - DD2 07/29/15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also have fibroids.  I believe I have 4 and last I knew the biggest was about 2 cm.  One is sore sometimes during pregnancy, but that's the only issue I had.  There were no restrictions on exercise.  After my anatomy scan with my first pregnancy, they had me come in once a month for an ultrasound to keep an eye on them and make sure they were not affecting the baby's growth.  I'm not sure that I would do the extra ultrasounds again this time, if everything seems the same.
  • Options
    Thanks for weighing in @Rosie720 @emisi  and @uromys

My husband and I are FTP and he comments all of the time about the never-ending information to learn about pregnancy and he is a medical researcher!!! I realize more and more that gowing human life is a huge job. 

If there are other fibroid friends out there, please share your stories!

Me: 35 Husband: 40
    TTC #2: Jan 2019
     DS: 2.5 yo 
     EDD: 12/2/16 DOB: 10/22/16
    (Previously MBS2016 Dec 2016 board
    <3         <3