Pregnant after 35

37 and going to be TTC very soon... Mama's that are this age or older...

How much harder is it do you think being pregnant this much older? I had my first child when I was 27 year old, ten years ago... Just curious if there is anything I need to be aware of or prepared for that may be completely different...
BabyGaga

Re: 37 and going to be TTC very soon... Mama's that are this age or older...

• I had my first child at 37 so I'm not much help. But I'm in much better shape now then I was in my 20's which I think has to be helpful. Good luck!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • You'll be fine! I'm 38 and expecting my first in just a few weeks, so I don't have anything to compare to, but overall I still feel like a spring chicken! There are LOADS of women out there who have uncomplicated pregnancies after 35. My advice to you is to try to maintain as healthy a lifestyle as possible, both while TTC and pregnant - it will keep you stronger. Get LOTS of exercise, eat well, get enough sleep. Talk to your doctor about any specific concerns you may have about your health - weight, blood pressure issues, diabetes, other chronic illnesses have much more of an impact than your age. Good luck on your journey!
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • Loading the player...
  • emsmama15emsmama15 member
    edited May 2016
    I have no comparison either, but I do have to say my first pregnancy at 38 was a breeze physically compared to my current one at 41.  But I also have two babies in there, which I think is having more impact than my age.  Try to start out as healthy as possible and you should do just fine.  

Edited to add: Good luck!! :)
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • No comparison here, either. I'll be 38 next month and my first baby is due 6 weeks later. At this age, I'm far more concerned with getting and staying pregnant. I'm hoping to have a second one after this. Fingers crossed!
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• I have nothing to add except a question: 

This whole group is 35 and older, was it your intention to exclude ages 35 and 36?

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!

• Who's excluding those ages @superfudge00? Everyone who wrote was giving personal experiences 
  • Who's excluding those ages @superfudge00? Everyone who wrote was giving personal experiences 
    Did you read the header?

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Oh, whoops, sorry:)
  • @Wyattnash00 I didn't get it either so i just stayed in the shadows. 
  • MsMae79MsMae79 member
    I apologize. I didn't mean to exclude anyone. I did realize this is the 35+ group. I guess I was just thinking about how I am soon to be 37, nothing more. Sorry if anyone was offended. I was just wanting to know if anyone else had kids when they were in their late twenties then again in their late thirties and if it was harder or more complicated. That's all, thank you for all the responses ladies. I will say even though I have three children and seem to be an old pro at the "Mama" life, it I am still nervous like a first time mom just because there is such an age gap, but then again maybe its just my mind trying to phys me out. ha ;-)  
    BabyGaga
  • lillebowski23lillebowski23 member
    edited May 2016
    @MsMae79 no worries! Take a look thru the board I think you'll find that the majority of the posters here are pretty supportive and don't offend easily. 
  • I'm 37 and 36 weeks.  I had my first at 19. The only problem I've encountered is high blood pressure occasionally. 
  • I had my first at 38 and am now almost 24 weeks with #2 at 41...so no comparison either... But I will say that pregnancy at these ages has been manageable! My biggest complaint has been insomnia, and I'm not sure that is age-related. ;)

I did also want to mention that a lot of us on this board met on the TTC>35 board. If you're not familiar with that one, it is also an awesome and supportive place if you decide to go for it!
  • I'm 37 and just had twins. My oldest is almost 9 years old. My first pregnancy was the easiest but I did pretty well with this last pregnancy too (despite carrying double the baby!). I have stayed in shape over the years, weigh basically the same, and worked out during both pregnancies. You can do it! GL! :)