December 2016 Moms
Options

Anemia

Anyone diagnosed with anemia?  I have been so out of breath for the past few weeks and normally at work, I have no problem standing the whole day, but have been needing to sit and rest often.  I thought it was just the whole first trimester tiredness thing until my blood work came back saying I have anemia.  I started taking iron pills and added lots of meat to my diet, but was wondering if any of you ladies could tell me how long it takes before the pills kick in and I wont be out of breath anymore.  My DH is frustrated with me that I am too tired to go with him to the gym.  He couldn't understand why I wouldnt just walk on the treadmill at least.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Anemia

• Options
    TollerToller member
    I can't say how long it takes to feel better  (since just being early pg is exhausting!) But another route you can try for iron supplementation is Floradix- it's a  plant based liquid so it doesn't add to constipation!! I've been on it for the past few months and have really felt better. I wasn't anemic pre-pregancy technically, but I was near the bottom limit.

Tell your hubs you're busy growing a person- there's no need for treadmills right now!! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am severely anemic and receive blood transfusions every couple weeks. I think it can take 3-4 weeks to get iron levels back up. Like PP said, it could just be growing a human making you so tired too. I have also been told to take oral iron with orange juice or vitamin c and it will absorb better. Hope you feel better soon. It is definitely something you will want to monitor through your pregnancy
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was anemic during pregnancy with DS. I think I started feeling a little better after a couple weeks of supplements. 

Don't be hard on yourself and tell your husband the same. Growing a human is a big deal.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Options
    Thanks everyone! That was very helpful  :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Hi! While I'm not sure if I'm anemic this time, I ended up being anemic with my 2nd pregnancy. While meat is good, there are other forms of iron that are just as great! 
    Legumes: lentils, soybeans, tofu, tempeh, lima beans
    Grains: quinoa, fortified cereals, brown rice, oatmeal
    Nuts and seeds: pumpkin, squash, pine, pistacio, sunflower, cashews, unhulled sesame
    Vegetables: tomato sauce, swiss chard, collard greens,
    Other: blackstrap molasses, prune juice -
    I wasn't able to kick my anemia until I included lots of iron rich foods that weren't meat. I was taking iron supplements the whole time, but I feel like our bodies absorb it better when it comes in many forms. 

Here is the article!

See more at: https://www.nomeatathlete.com/iron-for-vegetarians/#sthash.dtdqIKNj.dpuf

• Options
    Oh! And this

Some foods prevent your body from absorbing iron, including coffee, tea, egg whites, milk, fiber and soy protein.

• Options
    You can cook in cast iron too! Chili is great to get iron from multiple sources, including your cookware.