January 2016 Moms

Thyroid issues

Baby will be 17 weeks on Monday and ever since delivery I have been dealing with thyroid issues. I have hashimoto thyroiditis which was diagnosed years before getting pregnant. It's usually been well controlled and was throughout pregnancy. However, ever since delivery it has been super hyperthyroid. I have been in contact with my endo and I have been lowering my synthroid dose and monitoring my blood levels since. However, no matter how many times i decrease my dose, my TSH keeps dropping. I feel terrible. Headaches, difficulty sleeping, dizziness etc. Anyone else dealing with this? I'm so worried it will eventually effect my milk supply as I am EBF and just returned to work so pumping too. Breast feeding is really important to me, so I don't want anything to effect it. I just feel miserable and am at a loss of how to fix it. I plan to call my doc Monday, but wondering if anyone else is dealing with a similar issue.

Re: Thyroid issues

• I'm so sorry you are going through this. I also have Hashimoto's and take 200 mcg Synthroid daily. All my research and info from several drs has told me that hyper does not affect milk supplynearly as much as hypo, if at all. I would be concerned about developing Graves Disease...has your endo examined you recently? Possibly a second opinion for a fresh pair of eyes? I hope you figure it out soon and that your levels stop dropping! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • nackienackie member
    edited May 2016
    I have Graves and have been struggling to keep it controlled since my first trimester.  The last time I got my meds adjusted was right before returning to work and I did notice an increase in my supply after that.  I'm hoping that if I keep getting monthly adjustments I'll be able to keep BFing for a little while.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Same, I've had mild hypo on and off depending on the day of blood testing before pregnancy and started medication right when I found out I was expecting. I went to hyper right after delivery and had to get my dose adjusted. I was having the same with headaches and really difficult times sleeping especially after a MOTN feeding, I'd be so worked up and felt hot and anxious for no reason. It has gotten much better over the past 2 months. I'm same as you and EBF and worried about my supply, but so far so good. My supply isn't super high to build a large stash so I've not had any real time out away from LO since she was born...but thankfully able to keep up with the amount she eats at daycare each day and have a small stash built. I've had to up pumping to 3 times at work and once in morning before LO wakes to keep up. Considering ordering smaller pump shields than the medium to see if this helps get more. I was told by Dr hypo affects supply typically worse than hyper. Good luck, hoping the return to work and pumping goes smoothly for you.
  • I have had Graves and Hashimotos for about 8 years. I am on synthroid now but being hyper is much worse than hypo, it also comes with risk of stroke due to high blood pressure and increased heart rate. It could affect supply due to a hormone imbalance eventually. I would be going to the dr to get if figured out asap. I'm not trying to be alarmist or anything, just good to get on top of it before it gets worse. (Lurking from D15).  
  • maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited May 2016
    @ekscopp - Hey there, totally in the same boat, though doing much better now.  I have hashimoto's too and at my last endocrinologist appointment she diagnosed me with postpartum thyroiditis on top of that.  She says what happens with postpartum thyroiditis is that your thyroid gets really inflamed and starts leaking thyroid hormone.  That causes your levels to go SUPER hyper.  Once they hit a certain high point your TSH drops way, way low because it's telling your body "whoa whoa, we don't need anymore thyroid right now, we have TONS."  And what can (and generally does) happen after a while is that you then go hypo, instead of hyper, as your body tries to correct itself and straighten out.  My endo said that mine has been especially tricky, so I have to do blood tests every 4 weeks until my baby is 1 year old.  (Crazy!)  She said by a year after her birth it should be solid again and we can go back to every few months.

My personal experience with this sucked before I knew what was going on, I had crazy anxiety, insomnia, depression, I even had a panic attack once.  It took what felt like forever for my OB, therapist and endo to realize my thyroid was causing all of my issues.  Part of the reason they were kind of surprised that, like you, my thyroid was rock steady all during pregnancy (and has been for a couple years prior to getting pregnant.)  But my endo has had a really hard time getting it under control postpartum.  

I was hyper 5 weeks after delivery so she cut my meds.  At my next appointment I was WAY worse, WAY more hyper, and she had to cut my meds drastically (4 days off medication entirely, then cut my dose in half.)  That finally brought my thyroid levels back in the normal range, all except my TSH, which is literally nearly off the charts low.  But again, she explained that that's the body trying to relax thyroid production for a while to correct for it being so high for a while.  But her solution has been really intense monitoring - as I said, blood tests every 4 weeks for a year and I'm supposed to call her if I feel any hyper symptoms come back.

The good thing is that now that my T3 and T4 are at least normal I feel MUCH better.  I'm sure I'll feel better still when my TSH is back in the good range.

As for breast feeding, I wouldn't worry too much if you have a strong supply 17 weeks out.  When my thyroid skyrocketed the second time that coincided with my breastmilk dropping down to nothing and me being unable to continue breastfeeding, BUT, I had a terrible supply from the beginning (never more than 8 oz), my thyroid was the most unstable and out of control before the 12 week mark when your supply is established, and I think it was just the straw that broke the camel's back, not the main reason I had a low supply/eventually no supply.  So, I wouldn't worry, you should be fine!

Anyway, very, very long post short - ask your endo about postpartum thyroiditis and if you haven't already, insist that your endo test your levels again.  (If he/she won't or isn't knowledgable about postpartum thyroiditis, find another endo!)  You may need to be monitored more frequently and have your medication adjusted more often in the first year postpartum.  Good luck and I really hope you feel better soon!

ETA: One other thing I learned from my dr is that if you have postpartum thyroiditis after a pregnancy, you are very likely (she said it's almost certain) to have it in subsequent pregnancies, and even miscarriages.  (This made me so sad/disappointed.)  But, in good news, if you know that you're susceptible to it and you and your endo are prepared, it can be much easier the next time around, according to my dr.  Here's to hoping!  (If I even decide to go through this three ring circus again!  Haha.)
  • ekscoppekscopp member
    @maureenmce thank you for your post! It proved to me that my research was right, and that I need to find a new endo! I called him yesterday to tell him I was looking at my results (I am a RN) and my TSH is now almost undetectable. I have been really symptomatic and he kinda made it seem like he isn't convinced it's thyroid related, but if I wanted to drop my dose to 50mcg l could and see if it helped. I have been following g through with him all along changing dose and doing bloodwork, but I definitely feel like I need someone who maybe knows more what they are doing.