Infertility

Testosterone and Low Sperm Count

My husband has been diagnosed with an extremely low sperm count, .9 million to be exact.  We've planned to start IVF the first week in June.  He just had his appointment with the Urologist today, and he's putting him on testosterone.  Doc told my husband that within 3 months of taking the testosterone, he should be at his peak as far as sperm count goes. He also said, "You guys can do what you want, but I would try this before jumping into IVF."

Now we have to decide whether to go through with the IVF, or wait the 3 months until the count increases and who knows how many more months of trying until we're successful.  I'm stuck.  We've been trying for 2 years (I know that doesn't seem long compared to others), but I'm so tired of waiting! :( Hubby would like to conceive naturally, but also understands if I want to do the IVF as planned.  Side note, we are lucky to have IVF covered by our insurance, so finances are not an issue.

Has anyone had luck in their husbands taking testosterone and having a large increase in sperm count?  I will be SO frustrated if we try it, then end up going back to IVF after wasting months of our time and sanity! :(

Re: Testosterone and Low Sperm Count

• @LittleSap92014  when you say testosterone what is he taking exactly? A lot of testosterone supplements can actually bring down sperm count such as Androgel and other testosterone supplements. Please check with the urologist or look up the side effects of the meds he is on. My husband was on Androgel (testosterone supplement) and his dr didn't let him know that the meds could bring down his sperm count. 

Now that he's been off Androgel for a while his sperm count is normal. His motility was borderline but he's been on supplements to assist with this and it has helped. 

I encourage you to talk to your RE about the situation.  Two years is a long time to try and if IVF is covered what a blessing. For severe MFI, it is my understanding that IVF with ICSI seems to be the ideal route but your RE can advise you on what works best. Good luck!

****TW: Pregnancy, loss and children mentioned****
    Me (39) DH (40) 
    From my first marriage DD: 03/04 CP:01/06 DS:12/06 
    DH- no kids
    TTC: since 2/15, RE Consult 9/15
    IUI #1 10/15: Letrozole = BFN 
    IUI #2 11/15: Letrozole + trigger = BFN
    1/08/16: Surprise- BFP!!  2/16/16: MMC @10w 2days,  D&C: 2/17/16
    TTCAL: May 2016
    IUI #3 5/27/16: Letrozole+trigger=BFN
    IUI #4 06/24/16: 7.5mg Letrozole+trigger= BFN
    IUI#5 08/24/16 Menopur+trigger = BFN
    IUI #6 09/19/16 5 mg Letrozole +Menopur + Trigger= BFN
    **10/2016: No more medicated cycles, TTCAL on our own**
    12/03/16: BFP!! EDD: 08/12/17 It's a girl!! 
    Eleni was born on 8/14/17!!
  • My DH was put on Clomid for 3 months and it wasn't helpful for him. That is not to say it won't be for your DH. He didn't have any sperm present on his SA's (before or after) and ended up having to have a procedure to extract them. It did increase his testosterone level though. Being as though your DH does have a sperm count, he will probably have better luck than mine did. I understand you're tired of waiting, but if you don't absolutely have to do IVF, I'd try not to. It's an emotional roller coaster the whole way. Best of luck in whatever avenue you may choose!
    ****Siggy TW****
    natural pregnancy: 2008 
    Me: 28 (Hypothyroid), DH: 35
    Together since: 2010
    Married: 2013
    TTC: 2013
    Infertility: severe MFI, low AMH (0.5)
    Met RE: January 2016
    ER: 3/14 (4 follies, 6 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized)
    fresh 3dt of 2 embryos= BFP (1 implanted)
    EDD w/ baby boy= 12/6/16
  • Loading the player...
  • Like @roxgibbons said it is important to know what the urologist put him on. Testosterone supplements inhibit sperm production because it tells the body to stop producing testosterone naturally. Clomid (which is actually estrogen) does the opposite in men. It tells the body to kick into high gear with testosterone production, and this can increase sperm count. It doesn't always work, but it usually does increase T levels in men.

My husband was on androgel for low T and had a very low sperm count. His urologist took him off androgel and put him on clomid instead. His sperm count improved but that could have just been from stopping androgel. He's been on clomid for almost 6 months now. His T levels are going up ever so slowly but they are going up.
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • I'm not sure exactly what it is. I'm picking up the prescription tomorrow. DH works out of town in the same city as our clinic, so I wasn't able attend the appointment due to my work schedule. I wish I was there so I could have all the details instead of the tid bits he was able to relay to me in a three minute conversation. When I got home I tried to Google and find out more info, but all I found was that testosterone lowers sperm count so now I'm SUPER confused.
  • Ok ladies I picked up the prescriptions. Letrozole and Clomid. It looks like hubby was mistaken when he said testosterone .
  • @LittleSap92014 Well that makes perfect sense then!! :)
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • That's good! I'm glad it wasn't a testosterone supplement :) good luck!!
     ****TW: Pregnancy, loss and children mentioned****
    Me (39) DH (40) 
    From my first marriage DD: 03/04 CP:01/06 DS:12/06 
    DH- no kids
    TTC: since 2/15, RE Consult 9/15
    IUI #1 10/15: Letrozole = BFN 
    IUI #2 11/15: Letrozole + trigger = BFN
    1/08/16: Surprise- BFP!!  2/16/16: MMC @10w 2days,  D&C: 2/17/16
    TTCAL: May 2016
    IUI #3 5/27/16: Letrozole+trigger=BFN
    IUI #4 06/24/16: 7.5mg Letrozole+trigger= BFN
    IUI#5 08/24/16 Menopur+trigger = BFN
    IUI #6 09/19/16 5 mg Letrozole +Menopur + Trigger= BFN
    **10/2016: No more medicated cycles, TTCAL on our own**
    12/03/16: BFP!! EDD: 08/12/17 It's a girl!! 
    Eleni was born on 8/14/17!!
  • Thank you ladies!