Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Sippy cup advice

My LO just turned 6 mos and has been ebf. He was a champion bottle taker until he turned 4 mos, when he refused it completely. I've tried all bottles and nipples and its not going to happen:-(.  We started solids about 3 weeks ago and he does pretty well. Has anyone started a sippy cup with bm at this age with success? I don't know which type is best. I've bought several, but some of them I can't even get water out of when I try! Some you have to suck on hard to get anything out ( he won't do that) and some you have to bite (better for him than sucking, but still not at all efficient). Any recommendations on types/brands? TIA!
Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.

Re: Sippy cup advice

• 6 months is still pretty early for them to actually know what they're doing with sippy cups. It is definitely a good time to introduce them though. My LO is 9 months and still isn't into them. I've tried 3 types so far. I've read that sometimes they do better with the straw ones, once they figure out how to use them but so far no luck over here!
  • Yep, I would recommend a straw cup. That is the first thing I tried with both of my kids. You'll be happy later if you are able to get them to drink from a straw early on.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep, I would recommend a straw cup. That is the first thing I tried with both of my kids. You'll be happy later if you are able to get them to drink from a straw early on.
    How long did it take for them to understand how to use a straw and how old were they? My little guy just chews on it and looks confused.
    How long did it take for them to understand how to use a straw and how old were they? My little guy just chews on it and looks confused.

They actually picked it up pretty quickly! I always offered a straw cup of water with food and they would chew on it at first but then once they figured out how to suck the water out they were hooked. My first was 9 months and second was around 7 months.
  • @Bigboobsmcgee what age did you start straw cups? I've started with a Playtex training sippy cup for practice. He's figured out how to hold it by the handles and get the spout to his mouth but doesn't get much out. His nose is kinda big and gets in his way so I was thinking straw cup but a little worried about him aspirating. He is 2 days from turning 6 months. 
  • I know its early, but I don't have any other options! Are the straw cups with hard straws or soft?
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • @Bigboobsmcgee what age did you start straw cups? I've started with a Playtex training sippy cup for practice. He's figured out how to hold it by the handles and get the spout to his mouth but doesn't get much out. His nose is kinda big and gets in his way so I was thinking straw cup but a little worried about him aspirating. He is 2 days from turning 6 months. 

Aspirating?! That didn't even cross my mind :(

My first kid was around 7-8 months (I didn't realize he should be practicing) and my second was 6 months.

Aspirating?! That didn't even cross my mind :(

My first kid was around 7-8 months (I didn't realize he should be practicing) and my second was 6 months.

IDK it's called a training sippy cup. Got it as a gift. It's got a really slow flow so I think it's more for them to practice holding and getting the spout to their mouths without spilling everywhere. I think the straw cups would be better I was just concerned about the faster flow of a straw at this age (6 months today) I got a couple as a gift but they say 12 months and up. Maybe they make them with a slower flow for 6 months, haven't looked into it yet. My Lil guy guzzles his bottles like a frat boy at a kegger so I'm sure he would love a straw.

• My little guy never took a bottle (we tried different brands, nipples, tricks, etc) so I gave up haha! I gave him a Playtex training sippy cup at around 20 weeks old. At first he just chewed on the soft spout but eventually he would chew in such a way that milk would come out and he figured it out perfectly after that. He will now take a sippy cup if I need to step out (he's EBF otherwise) and I pump about 2 ounces that he has in his cup at supper (to get him used to eating with us at meal times). Sometimes he gets frustrated with it though and I end up taking off the lid and he drinks out of it like a regular cup (he's 26 weeks now) but I need to hold it for him of course. 
  • I don't believe my LO took a bottle at 6months. I think he started more at 9 months. We bought all sorts of brands because it really depends on your LO what he likes.
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013

• momma2charmomma2char member
    edited March 2016
    My baby never took a bottle- we used the Playtex and tommy tippee trainer cups (no-spill) with milk and it wasn't difficult for her to figure it out- she liked them way better than the nipple on the bottles (tried multiple different bottles). She started using these at 4 months. 
  • My LO is almost 7 months and we just use cup with water or straw sippy cup I got at target. Had soft small straw. 
  • We had great success with all 3 babies using the small cup from Playtex with a straw and handles.  LOVE em!

BabyFruit Ticker

• My son is 8 months. I always give him whatever he doesn't finish of his bottle in a sippy cup during his meal, which is usually about 30-45 minutes after his feeding and he's oblivious. i've tried 4 different kinds so far. Some are too slow and he gets frustrated, the ones that aren't slow aren't spill proof and he tosses them across the kitchen constantly and then I get frustrated,  and he hasn't figured out the straw yet. We just keep plugging away. I give him water in the ones that are faster which he doesn't mind, but he's still spilling it everywhere, so that's not very helpful because i don't really ahve the option to give him formula, lest i want to be mopping non stop.
  • Vik9Vik9 member
    edited May 2016
    I introduced the zoli cup around 5 months. At first he didn't get it but would try and suck on it, eventually he started sipping. It was recommended by my pediatrician. It's great because it won't spill. Everyone comments on how well he takes the sippy cup. 

https://www.amazon.com/ZoLi-BOT-Straw-Sippy-Cup/dp/B0031E1GEG