January 2016 Moms
Options

Tylenol alternatives

Has anyone used belladonna as an alternative to Tylenol? 
LO's 4-month shots are coming up, and I'd like to try something different. She had been sick about 3 weeks ago, and I think the Tylenol seemed to bother her tummy. Like--projectile vomit bother her tummy.
My sister recommended belladonna, but I am leery, since I know belladonna is poisonous. (I know--it's only a trace amount, but I worry.)
Has anyone used anything else as an alternative to Tylenol for pain and fever?

Re: Tylenol alternatives

• Options
    Definitely ask your pedi. Your LO could be sensitive to a dye or something else in the Tylenol. Personally, I wouldn't use belladonna. 
  • Options
    Always ask your doctor before giving any medicine to your baby. I would definitely not give belladonna  (or any herbal "remedy" or supplement) to my baby. Just a quick Google search revealed that women who breastfeed shouldn't use belladonna because it can pass into the milk. That to me says that you should not give it to a baby directly. Web MD says the following: 
    "Belladonna is LIKELY UNSAFE when taken by mouth. It contains chemicals that can be toxic.
    Side effects can include dry mouth, enlarged pupils, blurred vision, red dry skin, fever, fast heartbeat, inability to urinate or sweat, hallucinations, spasms, mental problems, convulsions, and coma."

Not worth the risk.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just an update for anyone who was curious--the doctor gave the ok to take Hyland's pain remedy which is....belladonna! Doing a little research, it's such a trace amount, the baby would have to consume several bottles for it to do any minor harm--let alone something severe. We've been using the teething drops, and they are doing much better than the tylenol--which she just vomits up.
  • Options
    I ordered an amber teething necklace.  I've had a bunch of mom's say they swear by them and never had to worry about giving the baby medicine. We just cut 2 teeth so I will have to keep you posted on how the necklace seems to work for pain. It's supose to help with drooling too.