December 2015 Moms

Starting solids - questions

Babe is 4.5 months and we were encouraged by her pedi to start solids, if we want. I made sweet potato purée and mixed with breast milk and she loved it. Will probably start with a few veggies first and maybe a fruit then move to baby oatmeal in a few weeks. Question is... Once I start (same food for 3 days), do I need to give her "something" everyday then thereafter? Or can I go a few days between with no solids before the next food? Will her stomach grow and she be hungry if I skip? She's EBF.

Also, what time of day do you guys give? I've been doing afternoon. Is a certain time of day better you think? eventually at what point do I start twice a day? Like oatmeal for breakfast and a veggie in afternoon?

Sorry for so many questions but I figured you guys are a bit ahead of me so would have it figured out ;)

thanks! 

Re: Starting solids - questions

• I feed Jonathan every day around noon. Parsnip, pumpkin und carrot are his favourites and they are easy to digest. Nutritionist told me to start with oatmeal in the evening when he's about 5 months old since they're finally able to digest grains. It will be oatmeal with milk and a little banana.
  • We started Zachary and he has went a few days without foods and he was fine, just ate from  the boob quite happily. We feed him every evening when my partner and I are having good dinner, he'll sit with us just so he sees us eating too 
  • Loading the player...
  • Mikey eats at dinner with us because he likes to take things off of my plate. I figured he could be social with the family and feel like he is a part of dinner this way. If we don't eat dinner as a family he doesn't usually get solids. He doesn't have a problem with not feeling full. At the age of your DS, she isn't eating solids for any nutrition, so she shouldn't be eating a lot and skipping it here or there won't hurt. As far as when to increase food, I haven't figured that out yet... Maybe when it seems like she isn't full from just milk? Definitely not before 6 months, in which case you can ask the pediatrician. 
  • redfallonredfallon member
    edited May 2016
    At this time, there're no set times or schedule for it. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Great questions; I have them too! Curious to see responses. 
  • We try to offer at least at breakfast and dinner, but if she's not interested (takes one bite, etc) we don't push.  There are days when all she wants is breastmilk and others when she's interested in everything but. She really wants my coffee so we also gave her an empty sippy cup to manhandle :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We started with solids at 5 months. What has worked for us is sitting him down with a solid food once per day, in the evening to start our nighttime routine. He eats about a tablespoon portion of a puree, then we clean up (or take a bath if its bath day), put on some pajamas, read some books or just have some final playful interactions, change diaper, get a final breastfeed in, then lay down in the crib to eventually fall asleep. His eating time seems to act as a "dinner time" on his schedule, if that makes sense. Eventually, probably after 6 months, we'll add a morning "breakfast" time to have solids as well. Since we started, we have had days where he didn't have a solid and I didn't notice any difference. I'm not trying to put too much pressure on the whole solid food experience just yet since he's still relying on breastmilk for calories and nutrition. 
  • We do food at dinner time after he breast feeds. So far I have offered: prunes, carrots, squash, peas and green beans along with organic oatmeal. He loved everything except for the peas. I offer him spoons till he is full which surprisingly he eats 5tbsp or more at times. I want to try baby lead weaning but he not really into feeding himself yet. I give him cold carrot sticks to gnaw on sometimes. Also, my son gets very excited when he sees me drinking from a glass so I let him have sips of water from a glass and he loved it!
  • what about the poops?! I read that they start smelling little by little as baby eat more solids but my friend says her baby's first solid poop smelled horrible. What's the verdict?
  • missphil said:
    what about the poops?! I read that they start smelling little by little as baby eat more solids but my friend says her baby's first solid poop smelled horrible. What's the verdict?
    I can smell my toddler's poops a mile away, if that helps. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• angelicac06angelicac06 member
    edited May 2016
    My sons pedi recommend oatmeal twice a day at 4 months, veggies at 5 months and fruits at 6 months with 4 oz of water daily. I have not been following this as I am in the boat of solids before 6 mos is for fun. That being said I give him 1 serving per day. Usually a banana or oatmeal. 

Since you EBF it is important that you don't skip any feedings as solid s is to compliment NOT replace ever. This will affect your LO(possible early wean, lack of needed nutrition) and your supply.

Kellymom advises to give baby solids an hour AFTER breastfeeding. Let me find the link for you. I hope it helps. 

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-how/
  • My sons pedi recommend oatmeal twice a day at 4 months, veggies at 5 months and fruits at 6 months with 4 oz of water daily. I have not been following this as I am in the boat of solids before 6 mos is for fun. That being said I give him 1 serving per day. Usually a banana or oatmeal. 

Since you EBF it is important that you don't skip any feedings as solid s is to compliment NOT replace ever. This will affect your LO(possible early wean, lack of needed nutrition) and your supply.

Kellymom advises to give baby solids an hour AFTER breastfeeding. Let me find the link for you. I hope it helps. 

It's actually solids before 1 is for fun. 
  • kdoak2015 said:
    My sons pedi recommend oatmeal twice a day at 4 months, veggies at 5 months and fruits at 6 months with 4 oz of water daily. I have not been following this as I am in the boat of solids before 6 mos is for fun. That being said I give him 1 serving per day. Usually a banana or oatmeal. 

My pediatrician vehemently disagrees with the "solids before 1 is just for fun." She hates that saying, because it makes it seem like solids aren't necessary at all before the first birthday which is absolutely not true. She much prefers "solids before 6 months are just for fun" because it is less misleading.
  • LaceyH13 said:
    kdoak2015 said:

My pediatrician vehemently disagrees with the "solids before 1 is just for fun." She hates that saying, because it makes it seem like solids aren't necessary at all before the first birthday which is absolutely not true. She much prefers "solids before 6 months are just for fun" because it is less misleading.

^wss
  • Thanks for the link @angelicac06 - the solids I do give definitely aren't replacing any BF meals, just in addition to.
  • I think once you start them in a routine of getting it at a certain time every day it's probably best to just stick with it (if baby has gotten used to that routine). I haven't started many solids yet, maybe 3 at most. I don't really give baby the same ones every time but I do try to stick to giving her some sort of solid around the same time I've normally been doing it. Not really for nutritional value as I do the same as you where a bottle is never replaced by a solid. I usually do oatmeal in the morning and a purée in evening. She seems to love it and when she goes in the high chair she gets the idea it's time for food because she opens her mouth and waits for the spoon 
  • LO is 5.5 months old and we do oatmeal in the morning and a fruit or veggie at night, although what I've read is to do different foods in the morning so you can better observe any reaction. He seems to do really well with this schedule and usually eats with us at dinner. It's been a good fit for him and he definitely loves his food!