TTC After a Loss

Still having positive pregnancy tests after d&c and first period

I'm on CD6, no longer bleeding, but still getting positive pregnancy tests. I'll be 3 weeks out from my d&c tomorrow. Is that normal? I'm assuming it's because I had such an early period, but I kind of thought my period would push me into negative tests. 
Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: Still having positive pregnancy tests after d&c and first period

• It took a long time (as in, more than 2 months) for my hCG to drop after my d&c.  I did have some bleeding during that time, but nothing that was the length of a full period.  When I finally got my actual period, my hCG was down to 9.  Have you had your hCG measured with bloodwork at all, to make sure it's generally going down?  Definitely ask your doctor if you're concerned.
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • So sorry for your loss. I did not have a D & C, but we get this question asked fairly often, so I will assume it is a fairly normal occurrence. I know many women on this board can offer you their experiences with how long it took their HCG to drop down to zero, so I am sure they will chime in.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies. My OB doesn't seem concerned (per his nurse over the phone). I haven't had blood numbers checked and I know this isn't super accurate, but the positive line is getting fainter, so I assume levels are dropping. It was definitely a period. Heaving bleeding, lots of cramping, other signs and it lasted 5 days. I guess it's just gonna take a little longer for my hormones to catch up. Will still be TTC and just hope for the best!
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

• It took almost 5 weeks following my D&C until I finally read negative on home pregnancy tests. (Confirmed by my OB at 6 weeks). I also never officially had numbers read. While still getting super faint lines, I had my period exactly 4 weeks post-op. Mind you, I continued bleeding from the procedure until almost 3 weeks out, and I could still tell it was my period one week later.
    (Hopefully my post makes sense; it's 8AM and I haven't had my coffee yet!)

In sum, it's definitely still possible to have your period even if you have a bit of HCG left in your system. I was surprised to have my body bounce back so quickly, but it did help to kind of get me back in the swing of things too. 
  • I should add that your body can definitely start to cycle with hCG still there.  Not sure it's super common, but I ovulated (confirmed w/bw) when my hCG was in the triple digits still.  Sorry, I know it's frustrating to have the physical aspect take so long.  Hopefully since you got your period your hCG will drop quickly now.  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
  • Thanks for adding that about the ovulating with HCG still in the system. Maybe I should just stop testing!
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

• Im sorry for your loss.

I was still bleeding 3 weeks after my d&c procedures. Sometimes bleeding stopped for a few days and resumed. If you are still testing positive it wasn't a period. 

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • @MWoodside it was definitely a period. I had no bleeding from the time I left the hospital until just over two weeks later. My OB verified that you can start a period with HCG still in your system. I just assumed that it would quickly drop the rest of the way to zero with the cycle, but apparently that doesn't happen. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

• Let me preface this by saying I am not trying to be confrontational.

Here is what perplexes me about your situation though. If it was indeed a period that started 2 wks post loss, wouldn't that put your ovulation on your loss day?

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • @MWoodside It's actually not uncommon to have an anovulatory cycle after a loss. The body is so messed up as hormones crash, I'm not surprised by anyone having weird cycles afterwards.
  • @mwoodside yeah, I'm sure there was no ovulation. Not uncommon at all. And the more I read, it looks like you can still ovulate even with HCG remaining in your system. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

• I just joined in. I'm 1 day post d&c so reading a lot. I have a question about this thread..are those of you testing all the time and knowing your hcg levels high risk pregnancy women? My practice never did hcg levels, just a very clear ultrasound that showed lack of progress and heartbeat. I don't know why I would be testing anything because we aren't even recommended to ttc for a few cycles. Can someone shed some light? Thank you! Just wondering how everyone gets so much extra testing. 
  • chloe97chloe97 member
    @maymac18 I was the same as you after my 1st loss- I got no extra testing. Many women with losses have Dr's who want to follow their HCG back down to 0 to make sure they did not have a molar pregnancy or to ensure that all the tissue was passed. A Dr also may decide to follow your HCG levels down before they start recurrent pregnancy loss testing. In order to test for ovarian reserve and potential hormonal imbalances, they need to make sure you have no pregnancy hormone left in your system.
  • RiverSong15RiverSong15 member
    edited May 2016
    @maymac18 Many of us are also testing with home pregnancy tests. I have a bunch of cheapie Wondfos in my cabinet, so I used them as a qualitative way to track my HCG down to zero so I knew when I could possibly expect my cycle to start up. After both MCs, I started getting fertile CM about a week after I got negatives on an HPT. While I was pregnant, they were testing my HCG levels to confirm that I was miscarrying. Some doctors will track it to zero, and if they suspect a molar pregnancy, then they definitely track it. But after my 2 losses, my OB has never sent me for HCG tests, so I wouldn't worry if your doctor hasn't either.
  • GlitterGlitter member
    Hmm wish mine would come. Since we had all our stuff at the same time, i thought id get mine but it just goes to show how different every one is. The good thing is you get to try earlier than you thought. 
  • @maymac18, I've just been testing with cheap home pregnancy tests. My doctor hasn't had me come in for betas. 

@glitter, from all I've read, I'm definitely not the norm. Even my OB originally said not to expect a period for 6 weeks. Hopefully you'll get one in the next week or two! I know how frustrating that is, just not knowing what your body is doing. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

• @Maymac18 I am sorry for your loss.  I was doing fertility treatments with my RE when I got pregnant, and I had only recently graduated to my OB at the time of my loss, so I went back to my RE for follow up care.  My baby had triploidy of paternal origin, which is often connected to partial molar, so even though my pathology did not indicate partial molar, there was some interest in following hCG to zero.  Also, I had retained tissue after the d&c that took a while to work its way out.  It took about 12 weeks to get AF after my d&c, and it wasn't until my second period that everything looked normal again.  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016